Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 1st Marathon this year. Any tips?
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there.
    I will be doing my first marathon this year in April in Brighton.
    Currently can manage about 8 miles so need a bit of guidance on training plans for the other 18.
    Has anyone used any training plans in the past or know any good websites that provide them?
    Cheers

bensales
    Free Member

I’m running Brighton as well.

Have a mooch around Runnersworld http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-marathon-index/7355.html

I’ve used their heart-rate and pace-based Garmin plans for the last two marathons I’ve done, to reasonable success.

This time I’ve using a Smartcoach plan from the American Runnersworld site http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach. Just able to tailor it a little better to fit my available time, and what I know I can do based off recent race results.

In general, each week you need to be doing one long run at a slow pace, a couple of easyish runs to get some mileage in, and a speed workout. That sort of pattern with the long run gradually increasing towards 20 miles over the training period, and weekly mileage increasing by about 10% each week, should see you right. Also try and get in at least three 20 mile runs before the race and one around 22. Not so much for any sort of fitness, but to teach you how your body will react at that point in the race when you’re running on empty. Those run teach you how to eat and pace yourself, and in a marathon, that’s as important as being able to run at X pace.

Good luck.

ajc
    Free Member

Try and do a lot of your training off road. Distance running is about injury avoidance as much as fitness and a load of pavement miles if you haven’t run lots previously is going to hurt. All training program’s advise to build up your mileage slowly.

mogrim

Also doing my first marathon this year in April, the Madrid one. Have started on the “improver” plan here:

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/join-an-event/get-ready-for-your-event/training-for-a-run/training-for-a-run-or-marathon_wda72185.html

At a guess if you are currently doing 8 miles max you’d probably want the beginner plan.

I also looked at various other plans, they’re all fairly similar timewise, though some are more complex than others: these plans are relatively simple to follow.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP 2 years ago I was in your shoes and used the FIRST programme on runnersworld.

I missed lots of workouts as my body wasn’t ready for the mileage (tho mine was on tarmac) but still got 3:36. Longest run I did pre-marathon was 15 miles IIRC, though I was used to pain & endurance from bike racing.

I wouldn’t get psyched out by distance – you only have to run 26 miles once.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Try miCoach, i found it pretty good to get me into 10K’s

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Join your local running club… super friendly and cheap if my experience is anything to go by. They will probably have a plan in place for thier runners doing London, which is just after yours.

Other than that just up the mileage on your long run by 2 miles each week… try to get a hill session in once a week ( i found these really helped) and mix up a third run a week as a tempo or interval session.

If your pretty fit/lean already from biking 3 runs a week will be enough to get you round in a relatively decent time.

jonnymojo
    Free Member

I did Rome marathon couple years back and didn’t prepare properly and suffered more than I should have. Follow a structured training plan leading up to game day. I was running 12 miles quite comfortably before the marathon and it was not sufficient to prepare me for the nightmare of 26 miles. My shirt rubbed the skin off my nipples and the resulting sweat dripped onto the open wounds for the last 10 miles which is a pain that will stay with me for the rest of my days. That said I have been looking forward to doing it all over again

downshep

Runnersworld, as mentioned above, is full of useful stuff. Build the mileage and pace gradually. A little and often is better than infrequent and overdoing it. I did the latter and injured myself. Not training regularly and trying to make up for lost mileage or match a previous pace is daft. A basic GPS watch can be useful for pace monitoring, saves going off like a two bob rocket with fresh legs and burning out before 10 miles.

djglover
    Free Member

My big lesson I will never learn, is don’t peak too soon. If the milage does;t feel enough don’t do more running, ride a bike instead. I was injured 8 weeks out from mine last year, was on track for sub 3hrs too 🙁

anonymouse
    Free Member

+1 for both joining a club and trying to do more off road.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Buy good shoes

Stop if you feel any pain

Dont run if you feel ill

Set weekly distance targets and do them

Run off road as much as possible

matt_bl
    Free Member

Good luck,I’m on my third at VLM this year.

For me the key is the long runs, make sure you get them in. Know how your body will react to the distance and prepare for it.

Cynic-al must have missed alot of training, I’m on the FIRST plan and the schedule is for five 20 mile plus runs. Clearly didn’t affect his time though!

Matt

Neil-F
    Free Member

I’m doing my third Edinburgh Marathon this year, my only target is anything under 4 hours.
    I find it extremely difficult to stick to any training program, and therefore I usually reach the 13-15 mile mark during training and suffer from severe shin/calf pain. I only trained up to 2 x 15 milers during training for 2011, and managed 4:12 on the day. The last 6 miles was the hardest, but I wouldn’t say it was that bad,but the week after the event was murder! 😆
    I’m not too bothered about the distance I manage during training, as long as I feel I’m fit enough on the day I know I’ll finish. That last 6 miles is fun though……. Listen to your body. If its telling you not to go out then don’t. 😉
    Age 41, been running for 4.5 years. So I know absolutely everything…. 😐

Mooly
    Free Member

Cheers for help.
    I may join a local running group tbh. Think I need the constant group support and structure. otherwise is will get to 1 month before and then start over training and injuring myself.

steveoath
    Free Member

Don’t continue if you get injured the week before! I fell in a pothole and did my knee in but went ahead a properly **** it in the marathon. Took over a year to get even close to “normal”.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I usually reach the 13-15 mile mark during training and suffer from severe shin/calf pain

I find that the best way to avoid this is to forget about distance and run offroad for a target time instead. Build up to close to the time you think the marathon will take.

anonymouse
    Free Member

I find that the best way to avoid this is to forget about distance and run offroad for a target time instead. Build up to close to the time you think the marathon will take.

Yes. You will be slower off road than on so it’s time on your feet rather than distance that matters most. And sort your fuelling out using whatever you plan on using on race day.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘1st Marathon this year. Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.