Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 1st Impressions – Soul content
  • matther01
    Free Member

SAM_0696 by matther01[/img]

Not sure if this image has uploaded…as still no idea how to do it?!

Finally got my Soul up and running yesterday and bar my very dodgy LEV nearly coming to pieces, I can honestly say I’m very happy with it.

Need a lighter set of wheels (once I can afford them) and think my 747mm bars are a little on the wide side (clipping a few trees and being pulled forward a little) so will need chopping.

Not sure if its the steel frame itself or if combined with a decent saddle and bar that has given a really good ride.

My first trek around Cannock and Brocton on an Orange Crush felt like I’d done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson…but this was more akin to my FS.

Can’t wait to get out on her again.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

What are those wheels and how heavy are they? Bike looks lovely, I’ve got a real hankering for one.

Klunk
    Free Member

wheels look like these

as for getting one don’t bother most overrated bike on the planet.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Yes they do look like those. Not worth going from my 456 to a Soul then?

matther01
    Free Member

Correct…they were taken from my Ex8. They’re nearer 2kg and were replaced by American Classic All Mountain, which at 1600g make a big difference to the rolling weight. They actaully work really well on the Soul, just want something different…possibly the Spank EVO Oozy’s.

Can’t comment on the 456, but have heard many good things about them.

This bike is kind of a guilty pleasure and expect (been told by the missus) that it’s my last bike for at least 5 years so wanted to pay a little extra (especially seeing the re-sale value of them).

argoose
    Free Member

@klunk
    Don’t have one, why overrated please?

Klunk
    Free Member

I wasn’t being serious btw.

peter1979
    Free Member

Is that a new 3rd gen soul frame or an older one? How do you find the clearance on the rear with the Hans dampf? I am building a soul and decided on nobby nics as I heard the Hans dampfs were a tight fit?

matther01
    Free Member

It’s 3rd gen and running a Specialized Purgatory 2.2 on the rear.

Not tried a Dampf on the rear, but impressions are that it wouldn’t be an issue at all (as the 2.2 Purgatory are nearer 2.3 anyway). I think there is a lad on here that runs them front and rear with no issues.

The only reason I dont run one (as I have a Pacestar in the garage) is that its a bit draggy (or was on my Ex8). Planning on running a 2.1 Crossmark when everything dries out (fingers crossed), but may be too narrow (for comfort levels anyway)…we’ll see.

Northwind

AntLockyer – Member

Not worth going from my 456 to a Soul then?

Soul is miles better IMO but they do the same job really- my Soul never did anything a steel 456 couldn’t do, apart from inspiring me to ride it- which is quite a big deal 😉

letmetalktomark

I ran my Soul with Hope Hoops (Flow/Pro2).

I weighed then as I am using them on another build and they sat at 1700g or slightly under. Bombproof wheels that rims give a nice profile to the tyre.

Compared with my Solaris (that replaced my Soul) I do miss the flex … just a bit.

One observation … the forks look a little long. That said I’m a pedant that ran his Soul between 100mm and 120mm of travel 😆

takisawa2

Is that generally indicative as to how dry it is up on that there Connock at the moment…

Northwind

letmetalktomark – Member

I ran my Soul with Hope Hoops (Flow/Pro2).

I weighed then as I am using them on another build and they sat at 1700g or slightly under.

I’ve got a set of those and they weighed in at about 1860g (which is more or less what Hope claim they weigh)

chief9000
    Free Member

I’m just waiting to guild one up too, Groupset arrives this week, but I will not have time for another 2 weeks to put it together.

I can’t yet comment about the ride (by all accounts its good) but this comment made me think.

as for getting one don’t bother most overrated bike on the planet.

When my soul arrived, I was a little disappointed with the welding. I would say its pretty poor, doesn’t look very nice. For steel frame of that cost I would expect a little better.

Anyone else had the same opinion? perhaps will change my mind after I have ridden it.

iainc

looks great !

Hoping to have mine next week sometime, deliberating over rims – was set on Crest’s, now thinking 719’s, as prefer non tubelss and the Crests seem a bugger to get tyres onto according to folks on here

superfli
    Free Member

…but this was more akin to my FS

This was my impression too, when I first rode my soul. I was able to pedal on fast rooty descents, where I would not have been able to on my old 853 tubed HT.

As for the wheels, I’ve just had an ArchEX made up, as I was a bit worried about the weight/strength of a Crest, but didnt feel the need for the Flow.

b45her
    Free Member

soul sheeple ASSSEEMMBLEEE.

matther01
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – the forks are 120 but look elongated due to the camera angle. I do have a set of 110/140 talas’ that I may give a whirl to see how it acts tho.

Superfli – no issues with my welding…maybe yours was a bad batch (or I’m blinded by the glare from the orange colour!)?

penguinni

Just finished building mine within the last hour. 🙂

Havent actually ridden it yet but pleased at how well Sally looks!

Have a bit of lateral movement in the headset though ( Hope headset with Headdoctor) Everything seems tight so would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Gratuitous pic:

rob2
    Free Member

Mr penguin – I had this with my >x<. It needed facing. Bit disappointed really with the cost of the frame. Sorted it though.

Northwind

On all of mine, the welding’s been fine- always tidy and consistent, never exactly pretty, but prettiness of a weld doesn’t always mean much. Intenses have beautiful welds on all their squinty frames 😉 Decorative welding is nice and all but it’s really for keeping the tubes together.

chief9000
    Free Member

On all of mine, the welding’s been fine- always tidy and consistent, never exactly pretty, but prettiness of a weld doesn’t always mean much. Intenses have beautiful welds on all their squinty frames Decorative welding is nice and all but it’s really for keeping the tubes together.

I am absolutely sure that the integrity of the weld on my soul is fine. However, I disagree a little with what you say about the weld not always meaning so much. The appearance of a weld reflects the skill of the welder who applied it. My opinion is that while it may do the job and not look that nice, it should look a lot better given the price of the frame. But that my opinion, these frames are built in taiwan if I am correct, labour is not that pricey. If it was me in charge of the quality control, and I was selling a product for that price (lets not forget most buy direct so there is no middleman) I would make absolutely sure that the weld was tip top. Just my opinion, but like you say, in comparison to the welds I have seen on other bikes, they are a little disappointing. On my frame at least. I could be an unlucky one.

sv

Penguinni – maybe get a mate to check it over for you? 🙂 If not just avoid Antrim A&E and it should be fine…

She looks well by the way.

penguinni

Had a wee hoke and found some tips.

Added another spacer which now sits a few mm above the steerer and I pushed the HD down a bit more. Seems to have fixed it!

Thanks chaps

Northwind

chief9000 – Member

The appearance of a weld reflects the skill of the welder who applied it.

Nah, not so much- it reflects the priorities of the welder who applied it. You can have a beautiful roll of dimes with crap penetration, or a smooth double-pass that’s been overheated, etc etc. My ugly birdshit welds tell you I’m a terrible welder, but a decent looking weld isn’t neccesarily any better or worse than a pretty one.

The Soul’s not that expensive a frame, considering the expensive tubeset and quality of finish etc. It’s a little above some of the 853 competition, below others but it’s still at the point where you’re paying for function.

chief9000
    Free Member

Northwind,

Ok, but how long would it take a tip tip welder to pop off some bike welds? But you are right, and as I said, probably perfectly fit for purpose. My attention to detail could be a little to high.

Northwind

Yeah, tbh I have no idea the difference in timing but I’d suspect it’s a fair bit, enough to hit the final price- but to be honest, I reckon if Cotic could add value like that without making the frame much more expensive, they already would be.

matther01
    Free Member

Will not be going out anytime soon on her again…LEV being returned under warranty and my replacement post (purchased especially for this eventuality) ironically has strip the threads in the bolt housing and also needs to be replaced under warranty!

Anyone know how long it generally takes to sort out warranty issues…as I may end having to buy a 3rd post!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘1st Impressions – Soul content’ is closed to new replies.