Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1st full face helmet
  • lancslad
    Free Member

Hi guys I’m looking at getting my first full face helmet, lbs doesn’t really stock any so been looking on the Internet. I was wondering if anyone can help me on which ones are good don’t want to spend a fortune. I’ve been looking at some oneal ones on leisure lakes and then some 661, fly and bluegrass on chain reaction don’t really know if any of these are ok.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The fit is very different between lids and this is the most important thing. Be prepared to return a few.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Tried numerous ff lids.

Hated them all. Now got a Casco Viper and its great. Very light, loads of air flow and you can still hear things.

It won’t afford ad much protection as a full full face helmet but loads more then a normal lid.

Only use it in the Alps etc.

andymc06
    Free Member

Just got a THE Point 5 Helmet. Gets good reviews, lightweight, well made and about £50 on CRC. Tried a Bluegrass which was the same size but hurt my head! Free returns with CRC too. Definitely try a few on mate.

lancslad
    Free Member

Yeh just been looking at THE Point 5 andy. When u going to Wales next week?

andymc06
    Free Member

Thursday I reckon. Should be awesome! 🙂

lancslad
    Free Member

Nice one let me know how it goes

mikey74
    Free Member

Order several ones you like the look of off the internet and send the ones that don’t fit back.

Giro Remedys are pretty good value, as is the Kali Durgana.

It’s probably out of your price range but I have just bought a Kali Avatar (cost £150) and it is amazingly light and comfy. I ordered a TLD D3 to try on (far more expensive) and didn’t get on with it at all: It felt too heavy and cumbersome, as well as having uncomfortable seams that were annoying after just a few minutes; so I sent it back and got a full refund and kept the Kali.

lancslad
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Does anyone know anything about fly helmets I quite like the look of the default on crc and great price. Also the oneal ones on leisure lakes

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not the be-all and end-all but be aware there is a new standard out that is specific to DH helmets – ASTM 1952: My new Kali Avatar doesn’t conform to it, but only because it is an older design, and the helmet conforms to all the other standard, plus some other ones. The Kali Durgana conforms to it, as does the Bell Drop, plus a few others.

As I said, it is not a deal breaker, but is something you may want to look out for as I guess eventually all DH helmets will comply with it.

The Kali helmets are also ridiculously light; a factor which is worth bearing in mind.

Check out this thread: Helmets and goggles

Northwind

THE are great value, they feel way more expensive than they are (they seem to wear quite fast though, the pads compress like mad but then you probably won’t be wearing it constantly) 661 are good solid performers at the lower end, well made and long-lived but they’re not light (which is important for comfort but is also worse in crashes)

If you can’t try them on, then CRC are a good bet as they do free returns, and free postage, with no messing about. Some online retailers still try to refuse helmet returns even though the law requires they take them back.

mrelectric

There are more AM specific types now too, as opposed to DH. Depends on what you do, how hot you care to get etc.

See this thread
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/am-full-face-helmet

I’m likely to go for for Deviant II soon.

zerocool

The Deviant is a good lid and held up well in a few impacts. I retired it last year and would have got another one but they changed the outfitting and now it doesn’t fit my massive head. Settled on a cheap 661 and it’s so hot by comparison but being polycarbonate it’s pretty light. Seems to be tough enough though a s a few friends have had big impacts and lived to tell the tale.

As said above, try lots and buy the one that fits best

rocketman
    Free Member

661 Evo not too bad to start off with. It has a big, open aperture and light padding – not so all-encompassing and motorbikey as a pro DH FF.

With the strap fastened you shouldnt be able to pull it over your head from behind and your face should move with the helmet when you turn it from side to side

lancslad
    Free Member

Yeh like THE helmets also thinking of 661, but also fly

mikey74
    Free Member

THE are great value, they feel way more expensive than they are (they seem to wear quite fast though, the pads compress like mad but then you probably won’t be wearing it constantly) 661 are good solid performers at the lower end, well made and long-lived but they’re not light (which is important for comfort but is also worse in crashes

Why does a light helmet have to be worse in crashes? Surely if the protection is the same, a lighter helmet will actually be better because it would mean less strain on the neck.

lancslad
    Free Member

Does anyone know anything about o’neal helmets, I like the look of the o’neal fury and I have a leisure lakes near me and they stock them

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Does anyone know anything about o’neal helmets, I like the look of the o’neal fury and I have a leisure lakes

I’d hazard a guess thaat leisure lakes might be able to tell you something about them? – and even let you try some on.

Do they have any other brands so you can compare the sizing?

Ring ahead – they might have to get stock in from another branch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess thaat leisure lakes might be able to tell you something about them? – and even let you try some on.

This really.

Which LL? some have a more DH set of staff.

In the end of the day they are all much of a muchness. Some heavier some lighter. Protection wise mostly about the same (as above a new standard but must older ones wont have been tested against it – doesn’t mean they wont pass though)

It’s worth finding a more DH type shop unless you need one by next weekend. Pearce in Ludlow, Descent Gear in Brum, Some in Manchester etc.

If not order as many as your credit card can handle from CRC.

lancslad
    Free Member

I’m in Lancaster, which shops are there in Manchester?

mikey74
    Free Member

Oneal also do MX stuff: Make sure you don’t get a MX helmet as they are not suitable for DH.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

from memory High Peak and NWMTB (possibly been a while) nor sure if mtb direct have a shop these days. Ride on in Rawtenstall is a maybe too. Look them up or give them a call

lancslad
    Free Member

Cheers guys got leisure lakes to get me an o’neal fury into store to try on. See how we go from there, only really using leisure lakes as I have a voucher to use there. Not sure if I really need a full face yet, but looking to get a full suspension to go along side my ragley blue pig, but wanting a full sus with about 160mm travel to take to the alps and do more down hill stuff like at antur stiniog so will need a full face then. Also enjoy just playing on the hope line at gisburn and woud prob feel better with a full face on when doing 20+ runs on he hope line a day

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1st full face helmet’ is closed to new replies.