Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1st day at work attire question, and P46 form question
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

1st day at a new job coming up. at the interview i was in standard interview attire. the group i’ll be working with were very obvious in the building, all were wearing smart casual – smart trainers, jeans, checked shirts etc.

should i plumb straight for this look, or go in as per my interview? or somewhere inbetween?

also, P46 form…

i start the new job on the 18th, but to help out the old employer i’ll still be going in for 3 weekends afterwards (new employer aware and happy)

on my P46 form it says –

‘this is my ONLY job, but i have worked since last 6t April’

and

‘i have another job’

obviously i’ll be doing 6 days ‘extra’ work after i start the new real job, so i should go for the 2nd one, right?

m0rk
    Free Member

Clothing, somewhere in between for he first week (just incase it was dress down Tuesday or whatever day you went!)

Sounds like you’ll need to tick the second box on the form

jota180
    Free Member

Can’t you just call HR or your new boss and ask them how they expect you to dress?

warton
    Free Member

go in suited and booted first day. better to be over dressed than underdressed.

The P46 is because you can’t provide them with a P45. I’d tick the second box.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Quick email/call to your boss about the dress code. It’s a perfectly valid question. As that manager I would be more concerned that you hadn’t thought to ask and just guessed. Give ’em a call.

Don’t fret the p46. Option 1 is technically correct but the world won’t end if you select option 2. In fact to keep things simple I might just do that. It’s 3 weekends and the difference in tax will sort itself out in time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Smart casual does not exist in the work place. Play it safe on day 1 and go from there.

smell_it
    Free Member

‘Smart trainers’, Jesus wept, we are descending into a nation of chav’s. From your description of the team any high street retailer dispensing fashion for the style’less should be adequate.

As that manager I would be more concerned that you hadn’t thought to ask and just guessed

I’d be worried i had just employed someone and they had to ask what to wear for work.

craigxxl
    Free Member

P46 option A. When you receive your P45 from your old employer and forward to the new one they will update your earnings and tax paid to date.
    To prevent any underpayment of tax tell you old employer to put you on BR week 1 tax code for your last 3 weekends work.

AlasdairMc

Wear a suit with a shirt that looks alright on its own without a tie. That way you can remove the jacket and tie and not look too out of place.

skids
    Free Member

If everyone was wearing jeans and trainers then you don’t want to be wearing a suit, people might get the wrong idea

unklehomered
    Free Member

If everyone was wearing jeans and trainers then you don’t want to be wearing a suit, people might get the wrong idea

valid point, but I think often people over think this (i do all damn time). Go shirt tie shoes first week, or just ring boss/HR and ask. Perfectly valid question.

konabunny
    Free Member

Suit, shirt and tie on the first day and perhaps a shirt that looks okay on its own so you can lose jacket and tie if you feel really uncomfortable. But you’re the new guy – people expect you to stand out a little on your first day.

Personally I wouldn’t bother calling to ask what you should wear because it sounds a bit needy but as you can see from the above not everyone is as snotty as me!

samuri
    Free Member

‘Smart trainers’, Jesus wept, we are descending into a nation of chav’s.

It also appears to be entirely acceptable nowadays to wear trainers with a suit. I need no further evidence that we have peaked as a society and are now on our way down the far slope to anarchy.

labsey
    Free Member

Trainers with a suit? Maybe in Doctor Who.

I’d wear a suit (with proper shoes) or at least a shirt and tie. You can always ditch the tie if you want.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Yep another vote for over dressed first day even if it leaves you embarrassed. Better safe than sorry. I joined a digital agency years back and went in first week in suit and tie, the tie was gone by the weekend and then I shopped for some decent casual gear and when I went in second week two guys both said, thank god for that, you are one if us. 🙂

footflaps

I always email new recruits and say ‘no need to wear a suit’, but I’d err on over dressed for first few days.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1st day at work attire question, and P46 form question’ is closed to new replies.