Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 1st Born Dispatched to Uni
  • bigblackshed

Boy1 was dispatched to University this weekend.

Moved in to his halls on Saturday, we then stayed until late Sunday afternoon. On Saturday he looked like a fish out of water. But he’d meet a few people and found a lad he clicked with on Saturday night that happens to be on his course. He’s studying Modelmaking at Arts University Bournemouth, so a good 3 hours away and a bit of a trek on the trains.

I will admit it got a bit dusty when saying goodbye.

Anyone else with offspring off to Uni?

*It’s very quiet in the house without him here. Tidy too!

Stoner
    Free Member

only 2,920 more days to wait.

ready

Yep, just had a 12hour round trip and spent the weekend in the South West as the eldest is now starting at Exeter. Must say his room was extremely dusty when we had to leave too…
    To be honest he was completely ready to go, and it will be strange not hearing him come home at 3am most mornings!
    Every cloud tho, I’ll have to pass Tidworth and Okeford bike parks when we go and visit!

NZCol

My colleague just regaled me with the tale of dropping his lad off, then 5 hours home with his wife sobbing next to him. He reckons it was as she realised she’s alone now – with him !

sadmadalan

We’re at the other end of the ‘experience’ now. They are both back and living off the bank of mum & dad!! I will admit to a few ‘dusty’ times when dropping them off the first time. Now I am trying to convince them that moving out is good!!

lunge

I have just realised it is 18 years since I left for uni. That’s rather scary in itself.

TiRed

Ours is off to finish his third year next week. He was in bed when I left for work, will probably still be there when I get home. You get used to them being away surprisingly quickly! It’s only an hour away too, I used to drive the same distance to work every morning.

Teen2 is finishing A levels and then planning on having a year out to work, finish his pilot’s license and think about training options for commercial flying that don’t involve dropping £95K in one go.

avdave2

Moved in to his halls on Saturday, we then stayed until late Sunday afternoon.

I think my daughter is prepared to allow us around 2 minutes to stay once we drop her off on Friday!

surfer
    Free Member

Youngest left Saturday but as he is in halls about 40 minutes away it is not quite the wrench it could have been. Still miss him though.

bruneep

Yes 3 yrs ago. Started last yr today. He’s still alive but being away from home has made him grow up and mature. Best thing he could’ve done.

Still miss him, mother more so. Still get the odd as in peculiar msgs from him. Last one was my basil plant has gone limp….he never thought to water it. He’s the clever one of the family.

Daffy

Stoner – Member

4380 for me….and then another 1800 for the pair of them…sadly, and knowing my luck, Daffy Jnr will be back home by the time Daffy III goes to uni. Poor planning on mine and Daffy Mini’s part.

tomhoward

I have just realised it is 18 years since I left for uni. That’s rather scary in itself.

When I got to uni I remember thinking how grown up and adult the 3rd years seemed, and how I wasn’t sure I could ever be that mature.

Finished uni 11 years ago and I’m still not sure I could…

salad_dodger

Drop my first born off this coming Saturday afternoon. He’s really looking forward to it and so am I. He’s a very sensible and mature 18 year old so I certainly don’t feel the need to stay overnight and hold his hand for the first 24 hours to make sure he’s settled in. FFS parents, have more confidence in your children. You obviously need them more than they need you!

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^ if my dad had seen me in the first week of uni I’d have been back home that Saturday afternoon.
    Dearest daughter just started year 11 so possibly just 3 years to go depending on what she decides to do…

SaxonRider

My eldest went off last year, and actually has his own flat in London, so has essentially moved there (instead of just staying in Halls). It was really quite emotional when he left. I really missed him (we get along really well), and I always felt bad after we’d talk on the phone as I knew he would get lonely.

That said, we have all grown used to the situation, and he continues to visit us in Cardiff fairly frequently.

Only 7 more children to see off, the next one being next September. 😯

kcal

elder now away at third year. was emotional leaving him at first year, more so for mrs kcal.
    now younger is away at college, that is harder to bear — came home to a very quiet house!

kimbers

131400 hrs

until all of mine have cleared off

jamj1974

Only 7 more children to see off, the next one being next September.

7! 7!!! Holy shit! Did you have issues with sharp nails?

johnx2
    Free Member

Not dispatched. Taken.

tomhoward

My money is on crap tv reception

docrobster
    Free Member

Aye, daughter goes away this weekend. She’s ready to go but I think my wife will not enjoy having just me and our 16 year old son for company. (And the dog of course who tops the pecking order)
    I’m just hoping she finds her feet and doesn’t need to come home too often. There’s a boyfriend still here though so we shall see….

stumpyjon

Had this two weeks ago with our daughter, she’s 13, shocked me a bit when I realised she’d effectively moved out at 13 and if everything goes to plan she’ll never return to live with us full time.

In her case not university but ballet school, there’s only 2 dedicated full time schools in the UK and they take over seas students as well, there’s 11 girls in her year and similar at the other school so getting a place is incredibly difficult, it took 3 years of auditioning to get in, picking her self up after each knock back. I’m incredibly proud of her ability, tenacity and achievement but still gutted she’s away from home. We did see her yesterday and she seems to be settling in really well given how big a change it is, her brother who’s younger sobbed when we left which nearly set the rest of us off. Only two weeks though and she’ll be home for the weekend.

I’d say it was a hard decision to make when she was offered the place but it was a no brainer. However it’s a hard decision to live with.

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry stumpy. I went to boarding school from 11, within months “my bedroom” had all but been annexed by the rest of the family. It is true that other than holidays, I really never moved back “home” again, but it was comforting to know I always could have. I went from school, to working on a farm, then to gap year travelling, university and straight to work in the big city. I now live only 10 miles from my folks though so apples often roll back to the tree 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

My parents went on holiday when I went to uni, leaving me to make my own way there, certainly no dust issues there!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Mine dropped me off then moved to America for 6 years! Didn’t even ask if I wanted to go 🙁

langylad
    Free Member

Wife blubbed her eyes out when we dropped eldest off at uni, I felt more like we had done our job to get him there and had a nice satisfied feeling.
    He finished 2 years ago and never really came back. Heaven knows what she will be like when he starts his new job in Barcelona in December 😕

badnewz
    Free Member

On the way to get the train to work today, I passed a young mother and her little daughter, screaming her lungs out – she did not want to go to school and was suffering from separation anxiety.
    It gets easier as you get older, but it’s never easy. I really felt for them both.

SaxonRider

7! 7!!! Holy shit! Did you have issues with sharp nails?

🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

sleeps, only 2,920 more sleeps 🙂

@Saxon as ever 8 kids respect

As per above my eldest 3 all went to Uni and basically didn’t come back. To me that’s how its supoosed to be, we do our best to raise them the it’s out into the wide world. We’ll always be there for them but in many ways we hope we will never be asked

jamj1974

As per above my eldest 3 all went to Uni and basically didn’t come back. To me that’s how its supoosed to be, we do our best to raise them the it’s out into the wide world. We’ll always be there for them but in many ways we hope we will never be asked

Agreed. Ours are some way from uni age – 12, 10, 10. However, you see them growing and maturing and know it is only a matter of time. Even now we’re not looking forward to it, but know it will absolutely be the right thing when they are ready…

SaxonRider – Member
    🙂

How you manage 8 children I do not know! 3 is often exhausting!

white101

Mine has just returned from 3 months in the states, heading off for 3rd year in a couple of weeks. Hoping to inherit the go pro I bought her for the trip, every cloud has a silver lining.

darrell
    Free Member

my son is only 4 1/2 and the wife is already stressing and getting upset about him moving out and talking about buying a house nearby to whereever he moves to

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘1st Born Dispatched to Uni’ is closed to new replies.