Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 1st bike ride with dog, any adivce?
  • abennell
    Free Member

Hi there,
    I’ve had my collie Tess for 12 months now and have now decided to see if she is a good bike dog or not, i don’t like her staying in if i’m enjoying a ride out on the bike in the sun.

I’m going up to rivington this afternoon with her, she is good when i go running, stops and sniffs around at first until she realises she has to sprint to catch up then tends to run along side me.

Does anyone have any tips when first starting off or should i just start slow and see how she does?

Antony

tracknicko
    Free Member

take it steady. avoid fast-paced 90 degree corners!

scruff
    Free Member

Like any dog training its you you has to learn how to control the dog, not the other way around. Cheese and Liver rewards makes my dog do things. I taught mine ‘behind’ by sticking my leg out to stop him coming past. I taught him to not stop in front of a bike by hitting him at speed a few times ( I came off worse every time). Always have your lead close to hand in case of horses, forestry trucks, tractors etc. It the ‘not chasing rabbits & squirrels’ thats the tricky bit.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, slow pace, don’t stop dramatically and avoid turning quickly – as she may pull something spinning to stay with you.

I’ve got two collies that come out with me, and they’re brilliant.

sandwicheater

When I started I got the dog used to always stopping on my left in case we ever ended up on a road for a short spell. Bring plenty of treats (presuming your train it on a reward basis). Also practised on a short road teaching her to stay by the bike when I was riding and a release word when she can just run off to her hearts content.

abennell
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    I’ll try the treats trick, she isn’t big on food as a reward but it will help a bit. She doesn’t really run in front of my but definately likes running across my path, will take it slowly and see how she goes.

tracknicko
    Free Member

isn’t big on food as a reward?

it’s deffo a dog right?

I could probably get our new pup to build an extension for us if he thought there was a bit of meat in it for him!

abennell
    Free Member

yeah it’s strange, my last 2 collies would do anything for a treat but she is happiest and responds best to me clapping and opening my arms, which doesn’t help when riding!

tracknicko
    Free Member

i dunno. i reckon you’d make a right combo!

petrieboy

My dogs not interested in food rewards if there’s things to sniff or chase. Fine indoors, but useless outside. This is why at 2 years old he has no reliable recall and doesnt get off the lead 🙁

abennell
    Free Member

I hardly have her on the lead and recall is very good, we walk along the canal and doesn’t even go near the ducks if i tell her not to, i can tell she wants to chase them though!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

My dogs not interested in food rewards if there’s things to sniff or chase. Fine indoors, but useless outside.

My BT was the same. Have you tried the proofing her against distractions?

petrieboy

Proofing? What’s that then?? I’ll try anything!!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Clicky
    From the 6th paragraph. It’s easier to link than explain.
    More here.

MrsToast
    Free Member

We’d love to get Benny trotting alongside the bike, but walking him is hard enough! He’s beautifully obedient in the house (apart from when he decides he’s a mountain goat and struts across the sofa and its occupants), he’s not bad in training (good at stay, not so good at heelwork), but get him outside and he’s continually distracted. SQUIRRELS! WEASELS! BIIIIIRDS!

nosedive
    Free Member

any advice? don’t choose a trail centre. Would seem basic but surprising how many dog owners dont get it

rickon
    Free Member

don’t choose a trail centre

It’s fine, just go when it’s mid-week, at night, or generally when you’re unlikely to see other riders.

I take my collies with me around Afan for night rides, or when it’s not busy a lap of the wall.

Somewhere like Cannock or Llandegla at a weekend would definitely be a bad choice.

On another note:

This is why at 2 years old he has no reliable recall and doesnt get off the lead

I’d recommend finding a good trainer, someone who follows positive reinforcement. It’s simple to get a strong recall, but it takes persistence, consistency and a lot of time. You most likely are doing something not quite right but wont be able to identify it – a good trainer will be able to spot the behaviours you are reinforcing, and correct you 🙂

Simples. Happy you, and happy dog. At 24 months, it’s a very good time to get him to a trainer, the longer you leave it the more ingrained his behaviour will come – it will not get better with age, only worse.

Good luck buddy, a few months of training and you’ll have a much nicer time with your doggie.

Ricks

nosedive
    Free Member

it’s not fine. its a trail centre. its for bikes

rickon
    Free Member

it’s not fine. its a trail centre. its for bikes

Any reason why you don’t think it’s fine? Given the constraints I’ve stated?

Caveated of course with the fact that my dogs wont poo anywhere near a path as they’re well trained.

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase- Follow the Dog.

The dog in question was called Zak (RIP). Take a dog round the dog and monkey and see the chimps at the werewolf drop.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Does anyone have any tips when first starting off

pack some bags and an empty box

the bags for the poo, the box to put the full bags in so they don’t split in your bag, put bags in an appropriate bin after the ride.

but you were going to do all that anyway…. 😉

abennell
    Free Member

Well i’ve just got back, she always poos and wees when we first go out so that isn’t and issue. I just took her along the canal as she is used to the path, she was reluctant at first as wasn’t sure what was going on but after a bit of encouragement she was running alongside me no issues, she was happy running along at 9mph and kept up when i raised it to 14, the only issues were other dogs as she tended to stop and sniff before carrying on.

All in all a good first attempt, and great exercise for her!

grim168
    Free Member

I find with our two year old Lab if theres a distraction for him I speed up and call him. His fear of being left behind seems to focus his attention. We go to gisburn early and mid week. Wouldn’t go when its busy as neither of us would enjoy it. Just remember to let him do his thing as well, ours likes to sniff around in the woods a bit and splash in any mud/water.

rickon
    Free Member

With being a collie she will be able to run faster than you can ride (probably – one of ours can ride faster than a decent rider), but this can lead to sliced pads on their paws – so make sure to check her paws over after a ride just in case.

abennell
    Free Member

thats why i only took her for a short run today, was a good test before taking her for a proper trek. she seemed to enjoy it though!

bluebird
    Free Member

any advice? don’t choose a trail centre. Would seem basic but surprising how many dog owners dont get it

Why not trail centres?

Regarding the original the topic. I don’t want to put a dampener on things, but I think 18 months is a better age to start trail running your dog over any real distance. They’re less likely to damage their joints as their bones are more fully developed. I’m waiting for my dog to hit that age so we can start. Until then I’m just running with him.

Glad the first outing was a success.

honourablegeorge

Because a busy trail centre isn’t the place for your dog to learn.

It’s pretty debatable whether it’s a place for a well trained dog.

abennell
    Free Member

I’ve had her a year but she is 3 years old as i got her as a rescue dog.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My concern with dogs is well noted on here – however a well trained dog is no issue -trail centre or otherwise – I have seen a few dogs at trail centres and not one of the ones running with riders were any bother at all

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘1st bike ride with dog, any adivce?’ is closed to new replies.