Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • £1k road bike
  • kendo954
    Free Member

So about to get a road bike on c2w, looking a slightly more relaxed geometry, for the money iv pretty much narrowed it down to c’dale caad 8 & the giant defy 1.

Is there anything else around that sort of money I should be looking at?

Cheers

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

planet x are great value for money!

stox
    Free Member

^ as are Dolan

kendo954
    Free Member

Looked at them, but I think if like to actually go into a shop and buy this, not sure on sizing for a road bike and its a lot more important to get the position right.

No problem buying Mtb on line.

I’m over in ni and have most big brand dealers quite close

bigdean

If i was buying one i’d get a sensa from merlin cycles. About £750 for a 9kg bike with 105 group set and carbon fork. A grand will probably get you more.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got a Genesis Equilibrium but I did ride the Volant which was a great ride.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/volant/volant-20

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Pinnacle Dolomite looks great value and the new orange one looks lovely.

Dolan bikes are good value too.

andydicko
    Free Member

Trek Domme

AndyF1
    Free Member

Giant Defy 1…get it before it gets rave reviews and gets out of stock the world over in july.

martymac

mate has a 2012 caad 8, its a bloody nice bike.

lunge

I bought an Orbea Aqua (which I do accept meant I had to add a little to the price, naughty I know) and am therefore biased towards that. Not sure it’s he best specced or lightest but it fits me and like it.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I got the Cannondale Synapse…slightly more upright and more forgiving than a CAAD 8. Perfect for an MTBers first road machine!

palmer77
    Free Member

Cube Peloton Race here, great bike!

fizzicist
    Free Member

I was out with the roadie boys yesterday on my C2W bike. A GT Series Two – full 105 groupset, carbon fork, carbon rear triangle. Mavic CX22 rims on 105 hubs. A bike I’ve knocked about 4000 miles out on. It’s the only road bike I’ve ever ridden, compares well to my bro’s Scott. It was £850 – reduced from £1200.

Had a go on a Planet X. A C2W bike. Full carbon, Sram Rival groupset, Easton Wheels. A grand.

My road bike is a badly made tank by comparison. There’s a planet x shop in Rotherham – I strongly suggest you visit their website – their £1k bikes look and feel like £3k bikes. They’re also very quick.

kendo954
    Free Member

Was just coming on to say I’m swaying towards the defy 1 for the comfort.

Will have a nosey at the others now

Cheers

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Trek Domane, the Synapse looked tempting but nowhere local seemed to have any in stock.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Another Cube Peleton Race owner here,happy with it, but maybe starting to save for a Dolan Mythos next year………..

spyke85
    Free Member

Giant Defy 1. Edinburgh Bicycle Coop have good stock of all sizes!

kendo954
    Free Member

Gonna try the defy 1 on Tuesday, i had borrowed the carbon version and had a couple of good rides on it so all being well ill get on ok the this one.

kendo954
    Free Member

Went for the defy1 in large, fitted well and got a good price in my lbs

Only beef a couple if short rides and seems like I’ve made a good choice, will no a bit more after a few longer rides I guess 🙂

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

I’d have a look at Canyon, they have better specs than the equivalent priced trek, giant or specialized. Plus they don’t have crappy wheels on them.

kendo954
    Free Member

Didn’t want mail order as I wanted to try one for size etc

TiRed

Son1 has a 54 cmCAAD8 and son2 an xs giant avail (woman’s Defy). They are both excellent. The Cannondale looks a little more traditional, but the welds are not what they used to be. The Giant is better finished. Both have mudguard mounts (the dale’s are well hidden and i was surprised). Finishing kit is similar (both are Tiagra level). Either is a good choice. Geometry is broadly similar but the headtube will be longer on the Defy. The Defy has noticably thinner tubes and a lighter frame, and is my personal favourite, but i’d get the CAAD8 to race on as it is a stiff frame.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘£1k road bike’ is closed to new replies.