Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1k bouncer for a biffer?
  • geoffj

I’d ideally like a Heckler or a 5, but it would be rude not to take advantage of the cycle scheme, so is it doable? If so what?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Can you not add the cash difference to the Cycle Scheme and buy the Heckler??

geoffj

Can you not add the cash difference to the Cycle Scheme and buy the Heckler??

I’d prefer not too.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Pitch

mattstreet

Trance X5?
    Bargain basement bits, but upgradeable frame.

Simon

If you’re after a single pivot like the Five and Heckler what about a Prophet 2?
    I got mine for not much more than a grand with upgraded crankset and tyres.

This is the stock demo I rode.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d go for the Pitch, but Simon makes a good case for the Prophet too.

Simon

Pitch was on the short list for me, but I wasn’t sure of the durability of all those bearings on the Pitch after my mate had problems with his Stumpy, so the single pivot simplicity won.
    Having said that warranty on Spesh bikes is supposed to be excellent, but I’ve heard mixed reports regarding Cannondale and warranty.

thefallguy
    Free Member

bearings on my stumpy lasted 2 years and cost £40 to replace hardly worth losing sleep over

steveh

If you can find the pitch that’s under £1k anywhere in the uk you’ve done well as they’re sold out with specialized. The same will be true very soon of that dale too which is hard to find.

Hairychested
    Free Member

My Prophet has lasted 3 years with no issues. Warranty issues? Never had any (as never needed any).

grumm
    Free Member

Not had any issues with the pivots on my Pitch, had it for just under a year riding roughly twice a week.

Northwind

GT I-drive 5 from Halfords? 20% off this weekend on all GTs I think so £800 too. MBUK/WMB basically spunked over it in their £1000 full suss test 😉 Yeah, I know it’s Halfords but on the face of it, it’s a pretty brilliant buy. Recons and a Fox RP2, Juicy 3s, even comes with a nice saddle. Bit ugly, mind. There’s a guy in my office who has one, though he’s changed a lot of parts as mtb’ers are wont to do, he can’t stop praising the thing.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_512535_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

grumm
    Free Member

Doubt you would get the offer price through cyclescheme though.

Northwind

Yeah, that’s true enough.

Oh, another downer is that it only comes in 18″ and 20″, and most of the shops don’t carry it, it’s a factory direct deal. Though as another option, getting away from the cycle scheme side, some Halfords apparently still have the 07 which is almost identical, for around £600. Magic, that.

schmiken

Proflex Enduro 768. You’ll want to change the bars though.

chakaping
    Free Member

If your workplace does the scheme via Halfords then I’d be confident of getting any Halfords promotional price on the scheme.

It’s getting offer prices sourced from third-party brands that’s generally a no-no.

Geoff doesn’t say who his company is using for the scheme though.

geoffj

Its Cyclescheme – so I guess I can’t use Halfords?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

X5

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

TranceX’s are like magic carpet rides

grumm
    Free Member

Oh yeah Trance Xs are really nice

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

I have the Trance X0 and it is awesome. The frame on the X5 is basically the same (just covered in paint) so you can be confident it is the same frame as a 3,500 bike.

timothecimmerian

+1 for TranceX5

6’2″ 14.5 stone biffer here and got the TranceX3 in the Wiggle sale for a bargaintastic £850.00 in Feb. It’s done Penmachno, Marin, Llandegla, Quantocks and Exmoor (amongst others) so far and taken everything in its stride. The X5 is similar spec in this years model with the exception of the shock (I think), so I’m sure you’d not be disappointed.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1k bouncer for a biffer?’ is closed to new replies.