Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • £1K bog standard normal 29'' mountainbike?
  • ton

Bill, noted mate.

ads678

Stanton sherpa?

I’m think you can run it with qr drop outs can’t you?

https://www.stantonbikes.com/product/sherpa-853-next-gen/

cokie

Ads678, correct

Swopouts for single speed, 12×142 or standard QR

..but you’d struggle to build one for under £1k.

Based on geomtry and spec, the Whyte 529 looks spot on.
    – 2×9, QR rear, solid frame & modern geometry.

ton
    flange
    Free Member

Careful with Cube Ton, they’re a bit odd to ride. I’ve had a few (I built one up as a race bike for a season) and they’re a bit brutal on the back end. Also have quite a steep head angle if that bothers you. On the flip side, they always come well spec’d for the money. Depends what you want to use it for, but I ended up swapping back to my carbon whippet (with 26 inch wheels) as I couldn’t get on with the 29er Cube.

NormalMan

The Cube certainly edges the Spesh I mentioned on spec. Here is the link so you can compare:
    https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/mountain/trail/rockhopper-pro-29/118170

I’d keep looking Ton till you find what you want. To explain why I say that, last summer I was sat on the beach telling the Mrs what I would like in a 29er to replace my Solaris. It was pretty old school but with the odd modern twist (tapered HT, bolt thru F&R but steep xc HA angle, skinny seatpost, steel, non pressfit BB). I did find it (Surly KM Ops) and I am pleased I stuck to my wishlist.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m happy with my Parkwood 29er, which you could build up or buy a full bike for under £1k, but they don’t seem to be selling them at the moment (not sure if they’ve been discontinued or just are out of stock).
    So, er, my post is useless.
    Sorry.

weeksy

The CUBE is quite focused, defined and racey… Are you looking/needing a lightweight race bike ?

kaiser
    Free Member

how did you find the Ogre Ton… a bit harsh up front or maybe it’s just me.
    if yes another option I thought about is swopping for the S swift bike packing fork?

stevextc
    Free Member

Are we looking for V brakes or centre pull top go with the QR?

jonnyboi

Check Paul’s cycles for cube HT bargains

ton

how did you find the Ogre Ton… a bit harsh up front or maybe it’s just me.
    if yes another option I thought about is swopping for the S swift bike packing fork?

just got back for a nice 25 mile mixed terrain ride with essell off here.
    bike felt spot on to be honest. i bought the xxl size, and jim says it is the 1st bike he has seen me on that fits me right.

so hopefully for now, my search in over.

weeksy

Have we missed some posts in here then?

ton

Have we missed some posts in here then?

no mate, i bought the ogre to use as a tourer, but i think it will do all i want so my search is now off.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I was also going to suggest the Parkwood 29er. I like mine but it seems only the 27.5 is on the site now.
    Its quite normal I think

kaiser
    Free Member

no mate, i bought the ogre to use as a tourer, but i think it will do all i want so my search is now off

for at least a week !

renton
    Free Member

There is no way even the biggest parkwood would fit ton !!

ton

i had a parkwood for a few months when the 1st came out. it was indeed too small in a xl.

why dont bike people realise that a 20” frame in not xl.

singlespeedstu

I’ve said it before to you Ton but I’ll chance an arm and try again.
    Get something custom built for you…

Inbred456
    Free Member

Cannondale Trail SL 29er. I’m 6ft 4″ I have an xl think it’s 21 or 22″ Really comfy frame. Decent geometry, decent spec. Wheels are crap and will need upgrading at some point. It’s bloody fast at covering ground though. I use mine for all terrain touring. 40 miles plus very comfy. I put some schwalbe hurricane tyres on. Mud is not great but everything else it flies on.

renton
    Free Member

I have a serious question with genuine interest in your answer: If you rate the bike so highly, why have you comprehensively changed most of it’s components, seemingly before it’s even been ridden, for any length of time, at least? Isn’t is therefore just the frame that you’re recommending?

It was always my intentions to build a longer travel 29er hardtail. I had asked on here for recommendations on hardtail frames a few months back.

I could of bought the 629 which is the model up from mine however and I said this at the time to Mboy that I much prefer the colour of the 529.

In standard spec it’s a decent and solid bike if a little basic.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘£1K bog standard normal 29'' mountainbike?’ is closed to new replies.