Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 1hr Prime Time BBC tonight for an Adele album plug…
  • the-muffin-man

…are the BBC a commercial station now!?

I’d don’t pay my licence fee for this etc., etc., etc!

binners

But… but…. everyone loves Adele?

Harry_the_Spider

Someone is going to plug Adele on TV… for an hour? 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perchypanther
    Free Member

But… but…. everyone loves Adele?

Everyone loves Plug?

Stoner
    Free Member

al-bum plug.

hurrhurrhurrr

lemonysam
    Free Member

al-bum plug.

Big Spoon?

badnewz
    Free Member

BBC must have signed a commercial deal to promote this dross.

MSP

They have been Bernie Ecclestone’s UK marketing company for years, makes sense to expand operations.

colournoise

Excerpt from the plugfest even made it as a ‘news’ item on this morning’s BBC Breakfast news.

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey!

Thanks for the PSA …

Now I can plan to view other channels or free up some of my time to argue with people who are wrong on STW … 😀

neilthewheel

It goes on all the time. Suppose a Bond film is released ; this will make a news item on Today, another on WatO and a third on PM. Front Row will cover it, as will The Film Programme and Back Row. You and Yours will find a consumer angle. Woman’s Hour will have feminist deconstruction and Book at Bedtime may we be a Bond novel…etc. It’s mainly because it’s cheaper than filling the programmes with anything original.

somafunk

As Adele was warbling on BBC1 the superb Benjamin Clementine was winning the mercury prize on BBC4

chewkw
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

As Adele was warbling on BBC1 the superb Benjamin Clementine was winning the mercury prize on BBC4

Tick! Another programme to avoid.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but she is a national treasure, so qualifies for some time from the national broadcaster, surely ???

martinhutch

Sky News had a highly newsworthy story the other day about the new Sky set-top box. The newsreader couldn’t quite manage to conceal his embarrassment.

iolo
    Free Member

That girl can sing. Great voice. She seems like a good laugh to have a pint with.

MoreCashThanDash

I thought it was a great show.

Still, the interweb was designed for people to whine about stuff that isn’t their problem?

matt_outandabout

That girl can sing. Great voice. She seems like a good laugh to have a pint with.

+1 from me and mrs_oab

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Would rather share a pint with Marc Almond than listen to her or her male impersonator, Sam Smith. 👿

slowoldman

So what about all those other programmes that broadcast musicians output?

DezB
    Free Member

People with no identifiable taste in music might’ve missed Adele having a new album out, they need it forced down their throats so they know what to buy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

She can sing a bit, but doesn’t qualify for prime time TV on Auntie Beeb..

IMO

Unless it’s opened out to different artists each week, then Ok, I’d be happy. As is it’s just a crush the Producer has and been able to talk down Head of Programming…

slowoldman

I don’t think it’s the first “……. at the BBC” is it?

Anyway you could have turned to BBC4 at the same time for “Pappano’s Classical Voices”.

badnewz
    Free Member

Each to their own in terms of music, but with Ed Sheeran, Adele and Sam Smith ruling the UK music scene, it does seem to be a case of the bland leading the bland.
    Think I will listen to some Clash now 8)

zanelad
    Free Member

are the BBC a commercial station now!?

I’d don’t pay my licence fee for this etc., etc., etc!

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Do you expect the BBC to only broadcast programmes you approve of?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Later with Jools Holland?
    Graham Norton?
    Any other live music program?
    Any other chat show?
    Etc etc.

It’s a large proportion of the beebs output. Acts need to publicise it and people want to see it.

sadmadalan

Given that her last album sold 30m copies and she has the No 1 single across the world, some people do like Adele and her music. Those people might argue that this is a scoop for the Beeb

miketually
    Free Member

Wait, Adele has an album out? You’d think somebody would have mentioned it!

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I reckon Graham Norton must have owed her a favour for something the amount he’s “plugging” her at the moment. I’m not a fan of either of them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There’s a lot of people not a fan of either too, you’re not alone.

I vote every artist gets an hour on prime time TV to promote their latest offering..

DezB
    Free Member

Each to their own in terms of music, but with Ed Sheeran, Adele and Sam Smith ruling the UK music scene, it does seem to be a case of the bland leading the bland.

It’s true! The charts are full of all these (fake) empassionioned “singers” making syrupy, Radio 2 type ballads that are close to the sort of stuff Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand used to churn out (although, at least those 2 had proper voices) and people’s parents would buy. Kids wouldn’t have been seen dead listening to anything like that a few years back. Now its all forced down their throats and originality is shied away from. The music scene is the most expansive and interesting its ever been and the BBC get all excited about bloody Adele. I could weep.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Looking forward to the Taylor Swift special. 😛

athgray
    Free Member

Here, here DezB. The digital age has opened up music production to people with keyboards, drum machines, guitars and synthisizers in their bedrooms. There is great music out there. Scrape beyond BBC to find it.

kayak23

Something on tv that everyone doesn’t like shocker… 🙄

skaifan
    Free Member

Queen of genericore.

badnewz
    Free Member

Kids wouldn’t have been seen dead listening to anything like that a few years back.

I fear for their future. This generation simply doesn’t rebel.

I think it has a massive generational middle age breakdown ahead of it.

unovolo
    Free Member

Yes she can sing a bit ,but the way have the TV and radio presenters carry on you would think she was the new ‘messiah’,

Personally she’s not my cup of tea at all that Skyfall dirge was like a pub singer trying to Shirley Bassey,and the new single is instantly forgettable.

IdleJon

Radio 2 type ballads that are close to the sort of stuff Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand used to churn out (although, at least those 2 had proper voices) and people’s parents would buy. Kids wouldn’t have been seen dead listening to anything like that a few years back.

I grew up through that period. My grandparents liked Diamond and Streisand, and as you say my age-group wouldn’t have touched it. I’ve noted that it’s now acceptable to listen to crap like that in an ironic ‘guilty pleasures’ type way, to the point where this sort of music makes it to Glastonbury. 🙄

And someone above said that there is more variety in music today than ever before. I’m not sure about that at all. I reckon we passed that point about twenty or thirty years ago.

DrJ

Wait, Adele has an album out? You’d think somebody would have mentioned it!

Yes, and apparently it has songs about her breakup on it. Who’d have thunk it?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I reckon we passed that point about twenty or thirty years ago.

What type of music was being made thirty years ago that isn’t made now? Stacks of music is made now that wasn’t made thirty years ago.

incidentally, on the notion that banal stuff wasn’t popular in the past, 30 years ago today this was number one.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlh_JJihv4g[/video]
    and twenty years ago today this was number one.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b74A7BP6Rvo[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘1hr Prime Time BBC tonight for an Adele album plug…’ is closed to new replies.