Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 1hr 15min commute into Larnnndin (+ 20 min tube) – Do-able or stupid?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Does anyone do this? Have you gone insane yet?

Ta

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Do-able, if you can get a seat and snooze.
    I used to do this every day, driving. It was hell!

njee20
    Free Member

Plenty of people do a hell of a lot more.

Mine’s about that, no tube, just a 15 minute walk, but 15 mins walk to station, 1:10 on the train. I don’t do it every day anymore, and even when I was in London every day I used to ride at least part way some days.

benp1

Hmmm, wouldn’t say that’s a great commute unless you REALLY love the cycling

Where from and to, and which tube?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Benp1 – on the train that is 🙂

Just a potential idea at the moment .. Grantham to kings cross and then a tube towards Houses of Parliament ish (you can probably tell that I don’t know London!)

njee20
    Free Member

Nice trains to spend 1:15 on, and you’ll almost certainly get a seat from there.

Won’t be cheap though – if you want to use East Coast trains as well as Hull Trains it’s £8,936 a year including the tube. So you’ll need to earn £15k+ more to cover that.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I did it for 18 months as part of a secondment to a client. It was only for three days a week, although I did sometimes do more if needed.

10 mins to train station, 1 hour 5 on the train followed by a 30 minute walk (to avoid the cirle line in rush hour).

It wasn’t too bad – I always got a seat so could snooze or read. A tablet was my best investment. The first month or so it felt like a proper slog, but you get used to it.

The guy who I was down there with is still doing it and he travels in from Newark. He’s been doing it for almost three years now. I guess if the money makes it worth it, you can suck it up.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I did Cambridge to Blackfriars every day for a year – 15min walk to station, 50mins train, 20mins bus.

I actually enjoyed the train ride in as I got a seat and some space. The train ride home was tedious but doable. I read lots of books and got some work done.

The downsides were:
    – Never, ever getting home before 8pm and the feeling that I’d just eat, sleep and do it all over again
    – I was usually the first to leave work and I rarely went out for post-work drinks (I worked for a ‘sociable’ employer) This meant that I wasn’t really seen as part of the team.
    – It cost a fortune!

A year was plenty and I now work much closer to home.

jekkyl

you people are crazy!! move north and your commute will be shorter and you will be noticeably nearer to decent off road riding, of which are in short supply in the urban sprawl.

jota180
    Free Member

A crazy plan and not worth it at any price.

The only way I’d ever contemplate it would be as a temporary measure to dig myself out of a financial problem, otherwise – no chance.

ElVino

rantham to kings cross and then a tube towards Houses of Parliament ish (you can probably tell that I don’t know London!)

Which party are you running for? planning to pocket the 2nd homes allowance?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well I do live in the Norf (South norf) at the moment.

If it became something I need to consider, it’d be a career changing stop working for a horrid corporate giant and do something remotely useful sort of a change..not a loadsamoney change ..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

El vino – monster raving loony party . Damn it , foiled

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The only way I’d ever contemplate it would be as a temporary measure to dig myself out of a financial problem, otherwise – no chance.

This. You’re basically contemplating spending the equivalent of two working days each week just getting to and from work. That’s without including the time taken to get to the station or waiting for trains or delays.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I did it as a temporary measure and it was fine, though that was because I knew it was temporary. The tube was horrendous though. I took a Brompton and cycled once i got off the train.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I used to do it from Colchester.

While I lived in Laaaardon (Snaresbrook / Sarf Woodfood) door-to-door on the tube or bike was around 50mins. I moved out to Colchester and my commute was about 1.5 hours (10 min walk to station, 1 hour to Liverpool St, 20 min walk to Farringdon).

When everything was running it was expensive but do-able. Main problem was the trains didn’t always work, which grates when you’re paying a the mortgage on a nice little Welsh holiday rental in fares.

cheers_drive

Personally I would’t – I go in to London via train and tube one or twice a week and that’s tiring enough, 2hrs 15 mins door to door but the train and tube time is the same as the OP, the rest is getting to the station and waiting for trains.
    I’d hate to do it everyday as I’d effectively lose my evenings.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

No offence but why cannot you spell LONDON. it’s pretty easy. All these non sensical “i am not from London but will be cool spelling London badly or referring it to Luuuunon, Lundin, town city village……… Lunch din….. Lun din…… Hey I drink out of jam. Jars….. YEAH!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No offence…

None taken. 😀

iamsporticus
    Free Member

If it was a short term for good reason either for your career or just money then yes

Long term = absolutely no way

njee20
    Free Member

you people are crazy!! move north and your commute will be shorter and you will be noticeably nearer to decent off road riding, of which are in short supply in the urban sprawl.

If he was in the urban sprawl he wouldn’t have a long commute…

Moving north has the added advantage of lower earnings, higher unemployment and poverty and lower life expectancy. Where do I sign!?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Moving north has the added advantage of lower earnings, higher unemployment and poverty and lower life expectancy. Where do I sign!?

You forgot it’s also about two to three degrees colder.

Just back from a weekend in Pot Shriggley (stayed at the Shriggley Hall Hotel) and judging by the car park I wouldn’t be so sure as to the other assetions you made.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

No offence but why cannot you spell LONDON. it’s pretty easy. All these non sensical “i am not from London but will be cool spelling London badly or referring it to Luuuunon, Lundin, town city village……… Lunch din….. Lun din…… Hey I drink out of jam. Jars….. YEAH!

Probably for the same reason you can’t spell ‘nonsensical’ 😀

So you don’t have jam jar beer in laaAaaaaAaaaardiiiiiniUm? Then ?

MartynS

Turner, you’re a disgrace

you well know its Pott Shrigley. sheesh you’ve been in the fancy south to long…

I hadn’t realised it was still 1920 North of Watford

OP its a lot of time commuting. As everyone has said if its all running to time you’re still traveling 3 hours a day.
    I’d consider something like that on a 4 day week so at least you’ve got time to catch up.
    You don’t mention if you have family or partner but you’re not going to see a lot of them in the week..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Did anyone else make the assumption that the 1hr 15min part was him riding a bike?

When I saw he was coming in from Grantham I thought it sounded a bit unrealistic.

OP I did this journey the other day as I went to see a client in Grantham. Is there a compelling reason you would want to live there in particular? I wouldn’t say it was a bad place but not exactly the location I would have on my ‘top ten places I would dearly love to live and endure the commute into London from’.

you well know its Pott Shrigley. sheesh you’ve been in the fancy south to long…

Martyn I’m still trying to recover from the (road) ride I did. It addled my brain.

Aren’t too many places in the UK were you can do 55km but still make 1600m of vertical climbing. Nor have to put the bike into the little ring in order to ride down Long Hill because the head wind is too bloody strong (or ride up to Windgather in the big ring for the opposite reason)!

I do miss home.

benp1

Yep, I thought it was a bike ride too

In that case, I certainly wouldn’t be doing it!

But many people do, lots in fact. Whether its a 90 min commute on public transport or in the car

For me, i’d rather spend that time with my family or at work, not in no mans land. However, it can mean you earn more to provide for your family, and you get the life for your family that you want.

My commute time is around an hour max, but I live in North London so that gets me to many places

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Geetee1972 – Errrm not really, it’s just somewhere not too crazily far from mine and mrs RRR’s family and vaguely commutable to London..

deadkenny
    Free Member

I knew people who commuted from Devon on the train, 2.5 to 3hrs. Crazy people.

An hour-ish commute I can put up with, but into London I’m far more reluctant. Where I am it’s a guaranteed standing room only on the peak trains, if not a tight squeeze. Then the mass rush to the tube, more squeeze, walk to wherever etc (though many places in central London are just easier to walk). Train back 6 / 7ish in the evening, rushing with the masses and again squeezed in or run to grab a seat. Add in delays, cancellations, miserable gits (usually me), people taking up multiple seats with their bags and/or legs, and then the smell of MuckyD from those who’ve bought on the station and eat on the train. Add to that all the colds you’ll catch.

I wouldn’t be able to cope with it for more than a few weeks.

I’ve done train commutes going to quiet places though not in London and barely anyone on the train if it’s an outbound train. Much more comfortable, can read a book, pick a carriage that’s empty.

p.s. forget about any kind of reliable mobile signal on trains in and out of London if you want to use gadgets.

geetee1972
    Free Member

p.s. forget about any kind of reliable mobile signal on trains in and out of London if you want to use gadgets.

This. It is quite a feat of engineering brilliance that we seem to be able to offer close to 100% coverage of the UK with the sole exception of any of the major train lines that run north to south.

The East Coast line may well be fast, but there is next to no reception, for Vodafone at least.

It is a fast service though. I was really impressed by how quickly you can be there from London and the taxi that took me to the client’s site was saying that since they put the really fast trains on, quite a lot of people are doing it (commuting from there to London).

Witness the car park at Grantham of a morning though; Porsche, BMW, Audi, Porsce, Audi, Merc, BMW… and so on and so forth.

Getting in will be the easy part. Getting home will feel very tiring and if you have to stay late at work you may find that the fast trains have finsihed. Check out how quick the commute is if you’re leaving St Pancras at say 8pm.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I could stand it a couple of weeks a month. When I had to do it full time I opted for a motorbike instead.

lemonysam
    Free Member

This is also true of DAB signal if you wanted to use a digital radio.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘1hr 15min commute into Larnnndin (+ 20 min tube) – Do-able or stupid?’ is closed to new replies.