Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 19mm rim with 2.4" tyre?
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Thinking of fitting a 2.4″ On One chunky monkey tyre to my rigid 29er. However I’m ‘only’ using 719 rims and concerned might be a bit narrow for the tyre. Plan is to run lowish pressure so don’t want the tyre coming off the rim at the wrong time….

Any advice appreciated.

rOcKeTdOg

got a 2.4 ardent which is huge if you wanna try that first, let me know

nuke

I reckon it’d be alright…Aside regular UK riding, I was in the Alps last year running a 719 rim on the front with a Minion 2.5 with no problem. Friend rode 719 front and rear no problem. If you’re running low pressures, the narrower rim profile won’t support the tyre as well so you more likely to suffer pinch punctures, tyre coming off rim is worse case scenario imo. However, if the Smorgasbord tyres I have are anything to go by, the walls on the Chunky M will be decently thick and better supporting

robnav
    Free Member

i`ve just started running 2.4 rubber queens which are more like a 2.7 on mavic f819 rims and they seem fine on my 29er rigid kona unit but with 26″ wheels 😆 my attempt at a semi fat bike! running them very low pressures as well.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Cheers for advice. RD – thanks for offer but placing order with on one anyway so going to take a gamble a go for it I think.

Northwind

Ought to be fine. You might not like it, but it’ll work. Depends largely on how honest the sizes are on the On Ones!

I’ve got a 2.5 on a Stans Olympic just now, lots of people’ll tell you that’s madness, but it works really well for the job in hand.

bland

You will be fine, i did a year with 717 and 2.4 Advantages, rolled that off twice but did years with 2.4’s on 819’s

kimbers

717s and 2.4 chunky monkeys here and they are fine!

actualy they are flippin ace , grip is outstanding so dont have to worry about getting pressures too low

running with tubes but easily survived a couple of gravity enduros now, iirc on-one recomend 19mm as a minimum so its all gravy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘19mm rim with 2.4" tyre?’ is closed to new replies.