Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1999 Marin FRS swingarm pivot part availability?
  • ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I had the main swingarm bearings changed under warranty last year after 8 years faultless performance from the originals. On my last ride the bike felt really skittish and on checking the bike over there was significant side to side movement in the swingarm. When I stripped the bike down I found that the play was due to the pivot spacer washers being heavily worn. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Pictures would help, from what I recall the spacer washers where alloy, replacing them with steel washers may help, I’d get my LBS to ask ATB sales (Marin UK) for help, they’re excellent in my experience.

snaps
    Free Member

Yep I’ve had this, the bearing inner race wears a groove in the alloy washer & give you your play – I’ve used Hope brake shims either side to sort it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The main pivot axle, it looks quit badly corroded and pitted, is it worth replacing?

These are the pivot spacer washers part no. PVT3108 according to http://www.marin.co.uk/downloads/Year%202000%20Downloads/Marin%20FRS%20Setup%20Document%20-%202000.pdf

glenh
    Free Member

Hey Jon, it’s possible I may have some of these parts in my toolbox. I’ll have a look later.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Cheers Glen

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Just has a call from the bike shop. They had problems extracting the old bearings so sent it off to ATBsales who have replaced the bearings and pivot parts for free no labour costs, HURRAH!

thepodge
    Free Member

ATB seem really cool, pity the new Marin bikes are so ugly or I’d stick with the brand just for their excellent support

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve always found ATB’s support to be excellent, that’s one of the reasons why I’ve got so many Whytes 🙂

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Bonus! Collected my bike and found that they’d kindly fitted a brand new mech hanger(didn’t even notice old one was bent)

ARSE BISCUITS! wheel won’t go in the dropouts becuase the new mech hanger got bent out of shape in the box on its way back from ATBsales.

rickmeister

Marin/ATB aftersales is faultless, thats why I have had Marin since 1990 or so.

lcj

ARSE BISCUITS! wheel won’t go in the dropouts becuase the new mech hanger got bent out of shape in the box on its way back from ATBsales.

That level of irony is almost poetic, but I feel for you nonetheless. At least you know ATB sales will be good enough to give you another

thepodge
    Free Member

I should have taken the one off mine that just got sent back, you could have had that or I could have had a spare

knottie8
    Free Member

you could just turn the washers around as I guess the other face is ok.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1999 Marin FRS swingarm pivot part availability?’ is closed to new replies.