Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 1995 Kona Lava Dome Gear help required.
  • Julian13
    Free Member

Over the weekend I tried to change the drive train on the above bike. I came up short as I didn’t have a crank puller and therefore couldn’t get the two innner chainrings off. Having decided it would be a good ooportunity to get a new BB put in I took it and the new chainrings to the LBS. I have just received a call saying that the two outers are the wrong PCD and that I need 55/56 PCD.
    I’ve jsut spent the last 10 minutes googling 55/56 PCD and come up blank.

Can anyone confirm this as a correct size? I know it’s a 5 bolt SLX crankset and previously believed to be 95/95 PCD, is 55 correct. I know there was a year of different sizings but this seems a massive difference.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It won’t be SLX on a 95 bike. I think it’ll be compact drive 5-bolt so 94 mm (as opposed to standard drive 110mm)?

Reluctant
    Free Member

That’ll be STX on a 95 Dome. It had a whacky fixing that was not common to anything else. Very unlikely to be able to source rings for it now. New chainset time. Worth doing though, nice old bike 😀

snaps
    Free Member

I’d bet its a 110 PCD & they’ve halfed it!
    Most 5 arm chainsets were 110 before CD was launched.
    I think I’ve got some new outer rings in the garage – I’ll check later.

cp

A ’95 lava dome was my first proper mtb!!! don’t suppose you have any pics?!!!

anyway, they supplied crank was STX, which as mentioned had it’s own unique ‘ring mounting. Not a cat in hells chance you’ll be able to get replacement rings for it now (unless you chance on some on ebay)…

New chainset time!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh yeh, STX was odd. The outer ring somehow attached to the middle ring, not via tabs on the crank arms. Odd…

Julian13
    Free Member

Guys, thanks for all the info. I typoed SLX instead of STX!

Snaps, that would be superb if you have some ‘rings and wish to sell.

If that’s not the case, anyone have any ideas on an easily available replacement crank that would suit the new square taper BB and wouldn’t look out of place?

CP. I have some pics at home which I will try and post this evening.

Cheers, Guys.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d strongly suggest getting a replacement chainset as the STX aren’t great, esp with the silly bolt fitting.

Put up an ad in the classifieds and you’ll find some no problem

(I have some cheap Cannondale square taper cranks (2000 vintage) spare if you’d be interested but you’d have to buy chainrings to fit – drop me an email if you’re interested)

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’d be surprised what’s hanging around in the spares bins at Madison, worth a try IMO.

Julian13
    Free Member

Cynic-al. Any idea where I can get a contact number appropriate for Joe Public to use?

Ta.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth remembering that there were two types of STX with different fittings too, I was caught out many years back by them.Not sure which type but I think we had some old stock in the shop, i’ll check later when i’m in.

Julian13
    Free Member

Cool, thank you. It would be great if I could keep the original cranks on it.

Julian13
    Free Member

CP, here’s a shot of the bike in question:

I didn’t have much luck the ebay or Google route so it looks like I’ll be going with a silver M191.

Julian13
    Free Member

Take two

colande
    Free Member

edit sorry tries posting ur pic for ypu,
    it didnt like linking

here instead

Reluctant
    Free Member

Another partial success! 😆

boxelder

You might struggle to run bigger than an 11 tooth top gear (though this might depend on frame size) – i.e. you may need 11-32 cassette as oppose to 12/13-32.

??

coatesy
    Free Member

OK, got an FC-MC34 32t ring, Shimano no.Y1CM32000 in stock, 7.95 plus 2 postage.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘1995 Kona Lava Dome Gear help required.’ is closed to new replies.