Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 266 total)
  • 1980s supercars
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Your mate was either unlucky or bought a dog. No more expensive to run than other similar cars of the time (admittedly parts aren’t cheap and they’re a bastard to work on) but certainly cheaper to run than every other car mentioned in this thread. Plus, if teamslug had have bought a good Evo ten or so years ago it’d have doubled in value by now.

He he he, yeah nice one.

I like the part when you said they were the same as other cars, apart from the fact they were unreliable, had expensive parts and really hard to work on.

My mate had one, it was a lovely thing, but it was thirsty, broken more often that it worked and there was only one place, near FOD as I recall that would work on it.

jamesfts
    Free Member

It was always in the bloody garage! The servicing costs were astronomical. £250 for a set of spark plugs, if I remember rightly.

Plugs for the Grale are the same price as they are for my Skoda and one of the few jobs that is easy to do – try changing a turbo on one 😯

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying they’re Honda Jazz costs to run, but they’re certainly not expensive for what they are plus they’re appreciating in value all the time.

100% agree with you on the Uno turbo, hands down one of the scariest cars I’ve ever been!

hols2
    Free Member

you should know you can’t “raise” on a Countach. Simply not possible.

tomhoward

Porsche refused to licence their cars to the game makers but Ruf didn’t.

Not anymore, Porsche is in GT sport.

PJM1974
    Free Member

PC and console gaming fans should rush out and get Assetto Corsa for 1980s supercar jollies.

bobbym
    Free Member

Binners.

I had a white Integrale Evo 1, which a mate and I went halves on. We imported it from a Japanese auction site and it cost us £16k, with all taxes, transportation costs and a full service, including 4 new tyres, when we got it into the country – about three years ago now. Neither of us could really afford it and we told our wives that we were only planning to keep it for a year. We sold it to Walkers at a profit and they’ve sold it at a much bigger one. I’ve not stopped crying ever since. But, over the year that we owned it, other than the initial service, we simply put petrol in it, no faults at all.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

A Dimma Uno Turbo.

A guy i used to ride with had a 205 GTI with the Dimma bits and pieces and a turbo charged 1.9 engine. I suspect it had an even split on time off the road between More mods/More failed parts/Repairs after he crashed it again.

It was metallic purple and most of the others in the club used to refer to it as a throbbing bell end.

And i only know of one Integrale owner, he had 3 on the trot. Sold the first once he got a bill for more than he’d paid for it to do repairs (i suspect his driving “style” helped with the huge bill).

Then bought a second, which he then kept when buying the 3rd so he had a ready supply of spare parts.

He wasn’t particularly smart, just wanted a fast car.

derek_starship
    Free Member

What about the Jag XJ220?

That was on my wall as kid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^1992^^

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ah, the Jag show car was unveiled in 1988, so it’s technically an 80s supercar.

derek_starship
    Free Member

What were AM thinking of with this Zagato?

It looks like a Datsun Sunny.

NZCol

Loved and still do love all the classics. I’m a Porsche man and the 993 has always been my ultimate – shape, engine, everything. I’m lucky enough to have had 3 – a targa, a wide body 4s and a Turbo.

angeldust
    Free Member

I thought I’d would the Ferrari to be honest but I’ve just checked and am glad to see the Lambo beats it hands down on value. I’m a car guy but I don’t keep abreast of classic aupercar prices!!

Fair enough. We all have different areas of expertise. Taking photos of 3 vans in a row in a car park for instance. 8)

scotroutes

I had a Fiat Uno Turbo…..

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Remember reading about a journalist ragging a 959 around a track and caused £20k of damage to engine slamming it into 3rd at sommat like 120mph!

binners

I had a Fiat Uno Turbo…..

LIAR! You’re clearly still alive! 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

An old mate of mine had a Nova GTE (like this)

(we nicknamed it Nova STD because it stank) and he wrapped it around a tree near Much Wenlock, how we laughed when he said ” I was driving carefully ” anyway towed him out of the farmers field with my S2 landie and managed to just get it onto a flat bed where it sat for 5 months whilst he argued the toss with the insurance company..

Oh, those were the days. We were idiots.

My boss had one of these:

And he called in the office one day and asked if he could be picked up (a 30mile round trip) Someone had nicked the two offside wheels and put it on bricks, he got out of his house and started it and attempted to move off and it slipped of the brick stacks and onto the floor.. he wasn’t really that happy a chap, this just made my life much worse..

jimjam
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

Now Binners, you should know you can’t “raise” on a Countach. Simply not possible.

Exactly: there may be objectively better cars out there, but the Countach is the 80s supercar.[/quote]

THE Supercar.

redmex
    Free Member

A Lancia Stratos but its more of a 70’s supercar but a road going 6r4 Metro how good would it be to have an un rallied never been on its roof example what would that be worth ?

jamesfts
    Free Member

THE Supercar.

Jimjam talks sense.

Go home Countach, past your bed time.

amedias
    Free Member

An old mate of mine had a Nova GTE ….and he wrapped it around a tree

Another LIAR!

Nova’s didn’t have the structural integrity to ‘wrap’ around anything, they exploded into a million tiny pieces anytime they collided with something sturdier than a traffic cone…

P-Jay
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    Ah, the Jag show car was unveiled in 1988, so it’s technically an 80s supercar.

Would that be the V12 4WD Car they showed with the same name? Not the V6 RWD one they tried to sell in the 90s? 😉

Anyway, as someone else posted – we’ve reached our Apex Predator in the 80s Super Car field, the F40 has arrived.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I had one of these. The ugliest car I’ve ever owned but one of the most fun.

It met with an unfortunate demise.

My neck still hurts 25 years later.

matt_outandabout

Does this count? If ever I have a classic car, it would be a Saab. I think this is quick enough to count…
    (edit – doh!)

Failing that, one of these.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve driven a Countach. Horrid horrid thing to manoeuvre at slow speed, and so loud in the cabin that you have to wear earplugs at all times.

Still an absolutely bonkers brilliant car. Modern day manufacturers must wish they could have half an iota of the Countach impact when they release their new designs.

bearnecessities

I’m sorry, you’ve what now??

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ooooh SWB Quattro, lovely and super, super expensive now.

I saw one do 0-60 in about 2 seconds once, monster thing – it was actually a normal quattro that had been shortened.

I’ve found a vid of it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WpQMV7uA8[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP enjoyed that thanks 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Would that be the V12 4WD Car they showed with the same name? Not the V6 RWD one they tried to sell in the 90s?

Guy i work with now used to be at Jag when they still had a warehouse with about 20 of them on racks. A few almost complete, mostly stripped for spares to keep the other cars on the road……

nickc

Not the V6 RWD one they tried to sell in the 90s

I worked in the next unit along from the workshop that used to do the pre delivery work on them, they came off the production line in a terrible state and each one needed a couple of weeks of paint finish and re-assembly. AND they sounded like a bag of bolts at anything other than full chat. Horrid, has no place here.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Would that be the V12 4WD Car they showed with the same name? Not the V6 RWD one they tried to sell in the 90s?

Quite!

I remember furore over the legal battles over the deposits put down by potential customers who felt that they had been badly misled by Jaguar and the angry speculators who felt that the residuals would be mauled as a result of dropping the 4WD and V12.

Hang on, did someone say they’d driven a Countach?

😯

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Wasn’t there some anger about the XJR 15 being an all round better car? Just loosing the top speed and the price tag?

newrobdob
    Free Member

THE Supercar.

It might be the ultimate Ferrari, amazing handling and power etc etc. It might be an amazing car I would agree, but at being a supercar, vehicles which shock and amaze and are coveted by all, the Countach will remain king forever.

matt_outandabout

slimjim78 – Member
    I’ve driven a Countach

jamesfts
    Free Member

It might be the ultimate Ferrari, amazing handling and power etc etc. It might be an amazing car I would agree, but at being a supercar, vehicles which shock and amaze and are coveted by all, the Countach will remain king forever.

It never was king, just a bonkers looking thing that wasn’t particularly quick or nice to drive. F40 is better in every way including looks imo.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wasn’t there some anger about the XJR 15 being an all round better car? Just loosing the top speed and the price tag?

I seem to remember the XJR 15 was better looking, but scary for mere mortals to drive.

Nah, cutting through the ‘nonsense’ with my super sharp cynicism would say that in 1988, at the hight of the Yuppie boom a load of cocky city boys put down big deposits on them and 4 years later when they were ready the world had changed and they would have rather had their £50k Deposits back than the Car.

Anyway, even if you hadn’t seen your fortune wiped out by Black Tuesday, Black Wednesday and the early 90s recession – imagine waiting 4 years for your Jag to turn up, and just when they’re ready to make them… this turns up…

And makes everything else look slow, old fashioned and a bit boring.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh, BTW – I’ve only even seen a Countach through a window, but I’ve driven a Murcielago, and a Porsche Carrera GT, and a Ferrari 430, and a DB9*

*usually in a straight line, slowly, but still I have.

nickc

I’ve been a passenger in a Countach, and that was “an experience” loud, really low, smelt of petrol, loud, and hot. Did I mention that it was Loud? It was loud.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hold this thread.

I give you the Cizeta Moroder V16T.

A supercar with a transverse, V16 engine styled by the bloke who would quickly go on to sketch the Lamborghini Diablo.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A supercar with a transverse, V16 engine styled by the bloke who would quickly go on to sketch the Lamborghini Diablo.

By taking a rubber to the ‘Testarossa’ style side-gills ha ha.

That was the Top Trump in my set as a kid.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 266 total)

The topic ‘1980s supercars’ is closed to new replies.