Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • 1970's 80's Supermarkets
  • laggingbehindagain
    Free Member

Having debate with mates at moment…when I was a kid I remember my mother putting us in a two seated booth
    In the supermarket to watch cartoons, while she shopped.
    Everyone thinks I’m mad.
    Can anyone remember these!!!!!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh yes, i do remember them. Never decent cartoons either.

derekrides
    Free Member

Pricerite? where did they go?

jools182
    Free Member

I can’t remember them

I remember Fine Fare though

BoardinBob

yeah I remember them. im sure they had them in Presto 8)

spacemonkey

70s/80s supermarkets? Cordon Bleu … didn’t they become Iceland?

rich_tee
    Free Member

didn’t have tv until 11 so that sort of thing totally out of the question.

the local Wavy line didn’t have one

bruneep

The Naafi was our local shop, are they still on the go?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Presto. Jeeze…

I remember in Co-Op they had old mechanical tills, same as Caters which was bigger, then Caters closed down and Presto’s opened and had the new electronic ones. Which use to go wrong quite often. But they used to have a wet fish counter and all the meat you had to buy from the counter, no pre-packaged lumps. Same with cheese.

(Suddenly feels quite old)

Then Presto was bought out by Safeway, who were then bought out by Morrisons. Who then closed the store down, with the loss of dozens and dozens of jobs, leaving the area with no proper supermarket. None of the little shops can cater for the local demand now so people have to get on the bus and go Tescos or Sainsburys. It’s made life quite difficult for elderly and not very mobile people though. And it’s had a knock on negative effect on the local street market too. Less people coming to shop in the area. 🙁

Bloody Morrisons. 😡

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Presto was Fine Fare before even that. Also remember Walter Wilson’s, ace!

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

We had a Presto but before that it was a Hintons.

Riksbar

For those in the north-east, remember Hintons?

flip
    Free Member

We had a Lo Cost by us, also a Fine Fare and an APT 😉

mugsys_m8

I remember Fine Fare and International.

Reminds me of being taken to Internantional to get a can of vimto and a milky way by the shop assistant/ god mother at my Grandad’s Jewellery Shop.

allyharp

I can remember Gateway, later Solo, later Somerfield.

I think I can remember cartoon booths, though not 100% sure I’m not just imagining the image now having heard about them in the OP.

beagle
    Free Member

Dee Discount?

lodious
    Free Member

For those in the north-east, remember Hintons?

Hell yeah, never forget their cornflakes…tasted like cardboard but my mum kept buying them because a box lasted for ages 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

always one of these by the door, not seen one for years

ebygomm
    Free Member

We used to have Hillards and Leos (co op). Presto in our town turned into safeway then lidl.

Remember going shopping at Christmas and they’d go along the queue offering roses chocolates because you had to wait for ages.

Vaguely remember the video booth things but I think they fell into the category of things we were never allowed to play with/on

Drac

Hitons? I thought it was Litons are have I got the wrong one, it had leaf as a logo.

Can’t remember the cartoon booths.

I remember the big Woolco at Kenton though, we’d go there just before Xmas most years and I was allowed to stay and play on the video game and little hand held console things in the electronics bit.

5lab

I worked at Safeway in Bracknell in the late 90s (99 I think) and they had a play area for kiddies then. It surprises me that these don’t exist today. maybe a security thing?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I remember all mentioned so far apart from Hintons.

We had a Lipton’s on Salford precinct*. Logo shown below. I also remember a lot of Mace outlets – not supermarkets but largish grocery stores.

*Now the very prestigous Salford Shopping City.

EDIT: just for you Drac.

cranberry
    Free Member

Hintons were based in Middlesbrough. I remember there being one in Ormesby here

bigG
    Free Member

William Low was our local supermarket in the 70s and 80s. My dad used to do some artwork for them for beer money.

[video]http://youtu.be/oMkUaaFAxPE[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Key Markets is where my mum did the shopping. £30 it was one week, for a family of 5! Outrageous!
    She didn’t take us, cos we used to go “Muuum, muuuum, MUM! Get these!” “Muuum, muuum, muuum, MUM! Do we need this?”
    I think it’s a Netto now.

mos

We had a Hillards, now Tesco.

Does anyone remember Carters toy shop in Bradford?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Supermarkets? I remember we’d walk to the local grocers where my mum would leave her shopping list and then we’d pick it all up later.
    I used to hate going to the butchers though – he always called me “snowball”, due to my white furry coat.

Cougar

The local mini-mart near me was a [VG] which, we were reliably informed, stood for ‘very good.’ I wonder in hindsight if it was supposed to be ironic.

IIRC, they had a lot of own-brand goods that were, ahem, “competitively priced,” not dissimilar to the Tesco Value stuff these days. Google would suggest that VG was rebranded as Centra or SuperValu; I think ours was rebranded as a laundrette.

But yeah, anyway. I don’t know about a ‘booth’ per se, but I do remember a variant of the fire-engine type things that you could sit and ride in, but instead of rocking backwards and forwards till you vomited Panda cola and American cream soda everywhere, they sedately played WB / Looney Tunes type cartoons.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, yeah I remember “Going up the VG” !

I guess the Wavy Line is extinct now too

BoardinBob

Did anyone else have the grocers van that would do the rounds when they were young? It had a door in the back and you’d basically step into a grocers shop inside a van.

cranberry
    Free Member

Boardinbob – they still have them over here in Holland.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We used to have a waitrose. it was where we went to get lunch from school on the days that you didn’t go to the chippy, It became a bejam frozen food store before becoming an iceland.

If my father had thought anything of our welfare he would have spotted the signs of urban decay and moved us out of the area straight away.

derek_starship
    Free Member

In the 90’s our local Kwik Save became a…..wait for it………

Victor Value. Crap name or what?

All this talk of the 70s and 80s prompted this memory. Mmmm. Hot Vimto in one of these – a pyrex tumbler with detachable base/handle.

Harry_the_Spider

My mum used to work at Presto. I used to sit in the cash office with her if she couldn’t find a baby sitter.

Somehow can’t imaging that happening now (Security reasons, not due to lack of baby sitter as I’m 42 and 3/4).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Supermarkets? I remember we’d walk to the local grocers where my mum would leave her shopping list and then we’d pick it all up later.

I remember when we would write our list out and the shop would collect the list it then deliver it all for you.

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I don’t recall cartoons in a supermarket.

I remember Gateway in in the precinct in Banbury. I got my first Scalextric set from there. Because I was with my mum and dad when they bought it, I forever associated that shop with getting cool stuff.

I also remember my friend Tim Watts becoming rich when his parents sold a chunk of their land to Tesco to build the first out of town supermarket I’d ever seen (in Bicester).

I also remember a mobile shop that was run out of a converted 70s coach.

Cougar

Did anyone else have the grocers van that would do the rounds when they were young? It had a door in the back and you’d basically step into a grocers shop inside a van.

Still happens here, seems to be run and frequented by the Asian community.

It’s a shame there isn’t more stuff like this. Occasionally some enterprising type will try to start a milk round or something, but it usually dies out quite quickly.

terrahawk
    Free Member

My mum used to work at Presto. I used to sit in the cash office with her if she couldn’t find a baby sitter.

the one in Whitefield? I remember going there on Saturdays with my gran.

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. My Aunty Sue was one of the managers. She used do be the Store Detecive too but lots of people knew her so she wasn’t that effective at it.

“Alright Sue, Caught any robbers today?”

smoothchicken

We had a Fine Fare, VG and a Nisa but best of all was waiting for the Apline pop man to come round to my grandparents every Thursday with the weekly dose of dandelion & burdock and cherryade, happy days!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘1970's 80's Supermarkets’ is closed to new replies.