Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1960's Vespa, anyone got one.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve got the opportunity of buying a 1961 Vespa Douglas for very little money. It’s in need of TLC but I quite like the idea of spending a few hours tucked away in the garage tinkering and bringing it back to its former “glory”. Has anybody got one.? What are they like for spares ect…?

sobriety
    Free Member

I don’t have one, I like my small Italian 2-strokes to be more modern, but they have a pretty big scene, so spares shouldn’t be too hard to come by, I was at a show/Autojumble for them earlier this year and there was loads of stuff available.

How complete/rotten is it? Is probably the most important question, if it’s got tinworm it could turn out to be a nightmare. And where are you? I’ve a pretty good collection of tools that I’m happy to use on other people’s engines if you do get it and are local…

rob2
    Free Member

Loads of spares. Easy to work on too. If you can get one for little money, snap it up.

I used to have a small frame. Sold it for a grand 10 years ago. Would probably fetch two and a half now. Regret selling it very day!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Based in north Devon, there is only one patch of rust, the rest is good. Needs a light, Speedo, rewiring and tyres. A resprayed wouldn’t go a miss either but it’s not desperate. I was thinking of pulling the engine and giving a good overhaul as it’s been sat for 10 years.

falkirk-mark

Generally should be ok for spares however some parts trim lights etc can be hard to come by but most are generally the same design you could change parts for later/earlier and it should fit, should be clubs about that can help and check for corrosion under floor as that what can kill older ones.

grtdkad

If it’s sensible money I would buy it at the drop of a hat (even though I’m more of a lambretta fan).

If the paint work is not too bad I would consider renovating what’s there rather than respraying. … as a survivor bike. Sort out the electrics (12v conversion), lights and brakes, decent tyres (Schwalbe/Continentals) …it’s all sounding a bit familiar isn’t it?

Check out https://www.scootering.com/

sobriety
    Free Member

Ah, I’m in the Midlands so probably not really that useful.

And engine overhaul is a good idea if it’s been sat for a decade, the crank seals will probably be shot, and the may be a nasty surprise or two lurking in the engine if it’s been left open to the elements through the exhaust port.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

So… Is there a go to place for parts.? Forums and info.?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Sobriety, where abouts in the Midlands are you based.? I make regular trips back to Tamworth to see the folks.

dove1

As long as the bodywork is in reasonable shape it should be a good project. Have a good check around the engine mounts though. If they are shot then it’s a major job to renew/replace them.

By the way, all Vespas that were imported in to the UK are listed as ‘Vespa Douglas’. Douglas were the official importers.
    Do you know what model Vespa it is?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

From the research I have done over the last day or two it’s a 1961 Douglas 125. I think it’s a 152L2, I think.

pk13

Buy it even if you keep it dry it should be worth more in 2 years. Easy to spanner on too

Futureboy77

Not a Vespa owner but have two Lambrettas. A TV175 and an Li Special.

Great fun, but do require a lot of tinkering! 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1960's Vespa, anyone got one.?’ is closed to new replies.