Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1960/79s Dark side – what do I need to know?
  • matt_outandabout

My uncle just gave me his old bike, first bought by him at uni.

It’s a steel road bike, with Brookes saddle, looks OK but needs tyres/cables/bar tape etc.

It is my size.

Worth bothering doing up?

m0rk
    Free Member

Probably worth selling. People love buying those kind of things to do up. They’re more into the doing up, than riding it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Updating it to sti indexing etc will cost a fortune

matt_outandabout

It’s a Brown Brothers Vindec. Uploading pics.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Do it up and do L’Eroica. We did it last year, totally brilliant.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you want to take away the down tube shifter but not go mad with the cost you could fit some Into the end of the bars.
    I use my 1960s 5 speed a lot for pub coffee and running around it rides just fine

Sam

Very much depends on the original quality of the bike as to whether it is worth doing up. It’s not a marque I’ve ever heard of.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

I thought Brown Brothers were/are an Australian wine producer

timba
    Free Member

Is the frame made from butted tubing with taper-gauge forks? Reynolds and Columbus tubes were popular at that time and for me would make it worth considering as a project

You’d need to look at its condition too. If you can just regrease and rebuild with new cables then why not? Having ridden it you can sell it if you don’t like it and more than cover your costs (but probably not your costs in time spent)

flap_jack
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with downtube shifters. If it’s 5 speed at the back you won’t be changing gear all the time like on a modern bike.

matt_outandabout

It is 1×5.

I will have time to properly look it over tomorrow…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1960/79s Dark side – what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.