Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1.9 D Berlingo rubbish MPG
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a 05 plate 1.9D Berlingo, and am getting a whopping max 18 mpg, average 11 mpg…..

Any suggestions of what I should be looking at to get it up to a more reasonable level?

Cheers!

aP
    Free Member

That’s impressive – maybe change out of 2nd and try 5th?

km79
    Free Member

Fuel thief paying you a visit?

ulysse
    Free Member

Thats fubard. 35mpg to 45mpg urban to motorway is what all mine have done.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Is there a leak when you’re moving?

legend
    Free Member

Timing belt (if it has one) been done recently?

ulysse
    Free Member

Wouldnt run right and smoke like a chimney if the belt timing is out. as would crank sensor fault.
    number 1 injector sensor failure (clutch end) knocks its bollocks off, only thing i can think of if not a leak is an earlier type egr with choke flap wrongly plumbed for vacuum, closing up and strangling the engine. makes em really slow though

aP
    Free Member

Even my LWB T5.1 with a camper conversion gets 31-34…

ulysse
    Free Member

Thats a serious leak tho. check top of injectors for damage to leak off pipes

legend
    Free Member

ulysse – Member

Wouldnt run right and smoke like a chimney if the belt timing is out.

Not necessarily, 1 tooth out can do something like this (my old car was a model that frequently had garages messing them up and the drop in fuel economy was the most obvious change). Admittedly a diesel would be more likely to smoke i suppose

ulysse
    Free Member

I can build PSA Dw8’s in my sleep 😉 Theres 2 on my bench as i type
    The belt can be pinned up in the timing holes fine, but if the verniers are not done correctly according to model year (2 types -verniers on cam and pump, or slot on crank and verniers on pump) as you tension the belt it can go out by even a couple of degree, dependent on which way it goes you either get diesel knock or smoke. Advanced by a midges and they run quiet and clean to the eye, but exhaust temperature runs off scale and you get EML lights and EGR faults. MPG goes up a tad in that instant tho

legend
    Free Member

Soz, I nodded off at

PSA Dw8’s

😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has it been serviced recently.

Ie has it actually been serviced . Does it have a new filters that you know have been done a d not just the guy that sold it yours word.

What is it idling at ?

Is it topping out about 65ish on the Speedo ?

Hows the oil level ?

Mines returns 38mpg no mater what. I’ve had 2 now. Even on the autobahn at 85(max speed really,)

As Ulysses says slightly advanced and it runs hot with eml on . If you retard it by one tooth it knocks it’s tits off and you think the cranks gonna shatter.

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve bought a new air filter, at the suggestion of a friend, but beyond that, I’ve no idea where to look. He’s suggested cleaning the EGR too….

godzilla
    Free Member

Filters and egr.

somafunk

I’d bet my money on the air filter being choked up to the point that it is deformed/sucked in due to zero air flow leading to a rise in fuel consumption – diesel engines love/need to breath otherwise they will suck fuel, if the air filter is choked up then it will also need an oil and filter change, a new fuel filter would help as well.

You can send me my £5 consultation fee later 😉

ulysse
    Free Member

Egr fault and you’d know about it, when they stick open it sounds like the head gasket has gone and smokes for england!!

Sticking shut is fine and i’ll often disable hi milers in to a stuck shut state

Look next to the air filter box for the air plenum connecting to the EGR assembly, its a ClicR clip so you’ll need pliers for, or get creative with some nippex cutters unless its already been swapped for a jubilee worm drive clip. Its a 3″ dia assembly. look if it has a vac actuated flap at the very end, see if this is remaining open when you rev, when it sticks shut it gives the same symptom as soma described for a choked air filter.

On a 05 plate it shouldnt have that kind of “flap” system, but they do fit the manifold of all these engines, so a bodge by a previous owner could see one fitted

Saccades
    Free Member

Going off a rover 220sd, are the overspill pipes perished?

12 years is pretty old and about when each old rover I had decided they had to be replaced.

You should be able to smell it though.

dan1980
    Free Member

An update:

It turns out, when using the ODB data for your MPG, it’s kind of important to put in the engine size in the software on your phone….. 😳

Now getting around 30-40, max 48 MPG with the correct numbers in. Topped up the tank after 200 miles, and calculated an average from the tank of 33 MPG, with a dirty air filter and dodgy ERG. Changed one, and cleaned the other, so we’ll see if that goes up.

ulysse
    Free Member

When the egr is clean and your sure it’s fully shut, pull the vac line from the actuator, shove a tight fitting ball bearing up and replace… EML light won’t illuminate as the system doesn’t measure airflow from that side, the ecu won’t know the egr isn’t opening.

You can thank me later 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1.9 D Berlingo rubbish MPG’ is closed to new replies.