Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 18650 batteries
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

Where to look for some better quality battery boxes. I got some solarstorm 18650 battery cases and not sure if they holding up. As i got decent 4x 2500mah batteries off torchy and using a solarstorm x4 but battery level drops quite quick, even on low setting (usally get 6 hours). Before light goes, but the batteries are at 50%

hypnotoad
    Free Member

It’s probably the quality of the cells as opposed to the quality of the battery boxes if you’re getting low capacity.

Its because the battery cases (plastic ones) draw current even when switched off. Crap design.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Its because the battery cases (plastic ones) draw current even when switched off. Crap design.

That’s odd, I guess not all battery boxes are created equal.

I use a plastic battery case and have not noticed any drain even switched off. However I do leave it disconnected from the light when I’m not using it.

I would be tempted to measure how much resistance the battery box adds however, I guess that could explain the reduces run time.

lightman
    Free Member

Where did you come up with that?

toad, what are you charging them with?
    A decent charger is worth paying for.
    Torchys batteries are good, but there may be chance of a faulty one. Have you checked to see if the voltages are all the same?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I use RC battery (iMax B6) charger as I like to charge my cells to 4.1v per cell as opposed to 4.2v which most normal chargers use. 4.1v gets the cells to around 90% full, so you get slightly reduced capacity, but the tradeoff is you get many more cycles. I charge them at 500mA per cell usually, but if I’m in a hurry I’ll use 1000mA.

You are right it’s worth paying for a good charger if you already pay for good cells. A nice feature is that it shows you how many mAh is going into the cells during charging, so you can see if a cell has reduced capacity if you keep an eye on things.

I have no experience with Torchys batteries btw, but measuring only the voltage doesn’t tell the whole story, you really need to measure the voltage with no load and also measure the voltage under load.

Good cells that read 4.1v fresh of the charger will stay over 4v under a 1A load, but a bad cell will drop below 3v under the same 1A load.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Im using a nitecore intellicharger i4 with efest 2600mah (not 2400) batteries

tillydog
    Free Member

That’s odd, I guess not all battery boxes are created equal.[/quote]

They’re not.

There are (at least) two variants of the Solarstorm battery box that are outwardly the same.

It’s the USB power converter that draws current – on some boxes, the USB is powered at all times, and draws ~10mA from the batteries (i.e it will use ~50% of the capacity of a 4 cell, 2S2P, pack in ~10 days). On others, the USB is only powered when the LED battery level indicators are switched on, and draw very little current (microamps) otherwise.

The long, thin lead to the power connector also drops quite a bit of voltage when the light is drawing current – worth replacing it with a shorter, thicker, 2 core cable and ditching the USB connector (or fitting it to a separate connection).

The boxes don’t do any charge balancing or proper over discharge protection, so if the OP has been charging the cells in the box, they could be quite well out of balance by now, restricting run time.

More info here

onandon
    Free Member

I use a nitecore digital charger and protected Panasonic 3600 18650s. Not cheap, but worth the extra for decent cells and extra capacity.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Thats the ones i use and dont use the usb connection. Only take the batteries out when need charging. So should i take batteries out when not in use, if the batteries discharge in the case and could i modify the cable? Or not worth the effort

slowoldman

I thought you were referring to the number of batteries required to do the TdF without turning the pedals.

tillydog
    Free Member

So should i take batteries out when not in use, if the batteries discharge in the case and could i modify the cable? Or not worth the effort?

Check whether the USB is powered all the time on yours, or only when the LEDs on the battery box are on. If the former, then
    taking the batteries out is easiest. If you’re not afraid of fiddly soldering, you can disable the USB power, but then you will lose the LED indicators, too.

Replacing the cable is easier, but still needs some fiddly soldering.

benp1

I have a battery box but not sure who its made by

I used the charge the cells using a cheap 8.4V chinese charger but the cells weren’t balanced. I already had a Nitecore i4 charger so I now use that. It’s a bit more faff but it’s much safer and better for the batteries

I use 4 panasonic batteries

I found the negative terminal batteries don’t always contact the box terminal, I put a tiny washer between to create a contact

hypnotoad
    Free Member

^ While a washer may work, I think a disc magnet on the cell would be safer, I use them and they work well.

There are (at least) two variants of the Solarstorm battery box that are outwardly the same.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up about the battery boxes.

I have no experience of the boxes with a USB power socket as my box only has the round threaded connector which goes straight to the lights. I remember getting it from fasttech I think, it was years ago when I bought it so I don’t know the exact model.

iain65
    Free Member

Have a look at this site as it has some good information:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

The battery packs I’ve had from his ebay site have been very good so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘18650 batteries’ is closed to new replies.