• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cp.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 180mm rotor in the back of a Cotic Hemlock?
  • cp

OK, building the Hemlock up at last and the planned 203mm rear rotor isn't going to work (the Avid adaptor wont let the Juicy 7 caliper fit – it fouls the frame)… a 160mm will fit, though I don't have a 160 rotor in good nick… However, I do have a 180mm rotor lying around, though no caliper bracket to mount it… sooo, before I order a new 160mm rotor, does anyone know if an avid caliper on a 180 adaptor will fit the rear end of a Hemlock?! If so, I'll order/get an adaptor rather than a new disc…

cheers, Chris

cp

bumpty bump for the day shift 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

the Avid adaptor wont let the Juicy 7 caliper fit – it fouls the frame

have you tried the 203mm from another company? might work better?

Avid

Atomlab

Magura

etc..

richc
    Free Member

I would go for a 160mm, as on the back that will give you more than enough power and save some weight

cp

'I would go for a 160mm, as on the back that will give you more than enough power and save some weight '

I always found 180front / 160 on the back somewhat lacking on my 456.

The magura adaptor does indeed lift caliper 'up' rather than pushing it forward as in the Avid adaptor. Going to try Magura. Even the Atomlab and Hope adaptors push the caliper forwards.

i've got virtually new 203 rotor and a used, though plenty of life left 180 rotor to go in… so just gotta decide which caliper mount to go for from those two 🙂

richc
    Free Member

really? what brakes? with my Avid's and Shimano's I have never not been able to lock the rear wheel up with a 160mm rotor, and I am a big bloke.

Rockplough
    Free Member

A 160mm out back should be fine. As richc says, I can't imagine any situation where you couldn't lock it. As far as I'm aware the only reason to go bigger, assuming you go fast enough, is for heat dissipation benefits.

cy

180mm rotors will fit fine. I've run Maguras and Hopes on mine.

cp

well it's going to have a 160 to begin with and i've ordered a magura adaptor to put the 203 on. I do ride pretty fast dh anyway, and tend to leave braking very late on decent surfaces – so I'd prefer something I don't need to pull the lever super hard to slow down. Regardless of thep point at which the rear wheel loses traction, i'd prefer less lever effort, especially on longer descents when it (and I) gets a maiden trip to the alps 🙂

cp

cheers cy, your fella Paul replied to an email I sent you guys this morning 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘180mm rotor in the back of a Cotic Hemlock?’ is closed to new replies.