Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 180mm ish travel pedalable bikes
  • robd

Looking at a new bike, fancy a 180mm ish bike. Has to be ok ish to pedal so not a DH bike. My thoughts so far are spesh enduro evo expert and cube fritzz 180. Any other ideas I have not thought of?

jamj1974

Scott Genius LT is only 170mm travel but other than that is a trail-orientated long-travel bike which could fit your bill.

scar4me
    Free Member

Cannondale Claymore if you can find one….
    180 f&r, switchable to 140f&110r (talas fork, and DYAD shock)

Found this bargain one…..
    2nd Hand FS link

Scar
    P.s. only just read you were looking for “new” lol.

deanfbm
    Free Member

By 180mm and pedalable, do you mean –

a) something something that is essentially a DH bike, that if you’re patient, with an easy gear, you can slowly twiddle your way back to the top, you’re your own uplift as it were

or

b) a 180mm bike you can pedal on xc/trail rides, and pedals well enough you can keep enough speed on the flatter, less technical trails that the 180mm of travel is worth having and not simply slowing you down to snails pace

Because I don’t think b exists or can realistically exist.

Aren’t most people wanting bikes like these normally riding an ellsworth?

ads678

My mate has a canyon torque ex and has pedalled that on some big days out in the lakes and peaks. Big bike like will never be the best pedaller but he seems happy with his canyon.

andyrm
    Free Member

New Bionicon Edison Evo will be a good bet – my Alva 180 has been awesome on the EWS and Superenduro races I’ve done – all upwards of 45k.

You’re not gonna get xc climbing performance but as long as you view climbs as just a means to earn the speed a big bike gives on the descents, you’ll love it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Did that for several years on an Intense Uzzi VP (I think that’s 170mm in short travel, 180mm longer) with a 170mm Lyric U-turn up front (not a factory spec fork!)

Except being heavy (35lb, inc Reverb and a twin ply rear tyre), it climbed reasonably well, and descended in fine fashion, as you’d except. The geometry is tweakable, so you can make it more XC-ish or more DHish depending on what you’re doing. Downsides are that it wasn’t especially stiff, chain devices were an utter PITA (very little room around the BB, and the lower link got constantly twatted on stuff.

I did all day rides in the Peaks and Lakes quite happily on it. Wouldn’t want to do flattish XC rides, but anything where you get a big enough DH to warrant slogging it up the hill, it was fine.

deviant
    Free Member

Specialized Enduro Expert Evo.

180mm front and rear from Boxxer forks and an Ohlins shock (mmmm, ohlins!)….10 speed cassette out back so should be able to winch it up most things….been thinking about something like this too as i tend to use my hardtails for general trail riding but i’d like something more for places like Bike Park Wales, Antur Stiniog, Alps holiday etc without going down the full DH rig route….the current crop of 160mm FS bikes are all very good but can still end up out of their depth on uplift days.

vondally
    Free Member

yeti asr7 ,owned one with 160mm forks and wonderfully all rounder, NOT a DH bike but everything else great, one of the best technically climbing bikes I have owned

Pridds

Canyon torque. Mate has one and loves it.I borrowed it for a bit and if it had been available frame only would have one. It’s his only bike as he sold a remedy as it wasn’t getting used.

chakaping
    Free Member

The recently discontinued orange patriot is surprisingly good at pedaling.

There’s still some frames kicking around new I think.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Giant reign x with 180mm 66rc3 ti, 170 rear. Its my all day xc doubles up on dh bike. Quite excellent.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Although it hasn’t quite got the requested travel on the back the new Nomad surely ticks your box.

chiefgrooveguru

Liteville 601 and 901 both look pretty awesome!

kimbers

Got a Process 153, I’m selling my 180mm bike as its redundant, plus I can take this on 50 k loops round afan

jim25

Surprised no more has mentioned the Yt capra.

dooge
    Free Member

I was going to mention the Capra, the Nomad and Intense Tracer are both 165mm and will take 180mm forks at a push but are more suited to 160-170mm.

lardman
    Free Member

I ride my 35lb+ enduro evo on longish rides, as well as uplift/alps type stuff. In fact it’s really my only bike, so it needs to go everywhere. 170mm 55Rc3’s up front, 180mm from a CCDB coil at back.

You have to cast aside the idea of being ‘nimble’ up any hill, but it’ll go anywhere your lungs can point it.

When the going gets rough….. Well, it’s a splendid bike to be on.

tomhoward

+1 on the nomad, rode a Demo 8, a V10 (which really wanted to justify being able to buy like) as well as my nomad in whistler, genuinely preferred the nomad.

robd

Thanks for thoughts folks. Enduro evo expert is still my favourite at the moment, has the advantage of being 650b for future proofing reasons only. Can’t justify the cost of SC nomad just too much money for what you get.

shifter
    Free Member

Fritzz 180 is cheap at Winstanleys in small or large.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘180mm ish travel pedalable bikes’ is closed to new replies.