Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 180mm DH fork options
  • mikey74
    Free Member

The bike is a Morewood Kalula, built around 180mm front and rear. The frame is built to take up to 200mm dual-crowns, but I don’t really want to go down that route as I fear it may ruin it.

Looking around, the options appear to be more limited than they once were.

Suggestions?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Errrrr two words, well four Bos Idylle SCs at £809 somewhere I know of but don’t reccomend retailer as my Fox 36s new from them arrived used and clunked.

That’s what the top end Morewoods came with anyway, the bos.

Can confirm that the ndees same fork just older name for idylle scs are buttery smooth.

SirHC

From memory, Fox40’s (before 2014) can be lowered by swapping spacers around. Boxxer world cups should be able to be spaced down (all travel spacers on the air spring).

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

If in doubt talk to shop owner of bikeactive whom used to
    Stock morewood heavily. He’ll no doubt offer advice on HA etc and probably hook you up with a price match as he used to be very competetive.

benpinnick

Set of XFusion Metrics? Great fork for the money.

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest, I have some BOS Idylle SC forks on there at the moment, which the bike came with. However, I fear I may have killed them (or at least there is the potential for a very expensive re-build), so I’m just planning ahead incase the doc i.e. JTech, gives me some bad news.

I appreciate a re-build will be cheaper than new forks but I’m just seeing what else is out there at the moment.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Understood! Yh then it’s the Metrics you should be looking at.

mikey74
    Free Member

Have you got some?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Unfortunately have no experience of the metrics although they look the shizz and if going on my velvets is anything to go by they’re going to be decent and cheaper more reliable option.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Bike doesn’t need dual crowns, does it? Some ace 180 single crowns around

benpinnick

I have some on a test bike. I spaced them down to 160 (180 was a bit mental for this paticular bike) but they are still the nuts. They just plough through stuff like its not there. Highly recommended.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bike doesn’t need dual crowns, does it? Some ace 180 single crowns around

Read the OP. Actually, 180mm single-crown fork choice is somewhat limited at the moment.

Cheers Ben: If the worst happens they sound like a good option.

Northwind

Pick up an old coil Lyrik and stretch it to 180mm? Just needs a spacer on the bottom of the spring. Takes the chassis to its limit though but is kind of single-crown-boxxery)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I read the op mikey, not sure what you mean …there are plenty ace single crowns around. Fox van, marzocchi 66, domains, totems

mikey74
    Free Member

Most of which are only available second hand and are getting pretty old now. I think we can discount Domains as I imagine they would be a real disappointment after running BOS for a number of years.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get bos forks then! What answer are you looking for? Like i say, there are plenty options

mikey74
    Free Member

As I said: most of the options you mention are not available any more and I’m not too keen on buying some thrashed, history unknown forks off Pinkbike, so I am looking for NEW alternatives.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ok, after a google I’ve found fox van and talas in 180, BOS Idyll, XFusion metric, and you can always find good used forks if you look.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ok, after a google I’ve found fox van and talas in 180, BOS Idyll, XFusion metric, and you can always find good used forks if you look.

Hey, I can use Google too. However, this being a forum, rather than just a search engine, you kind of expect more than just lists: some experiences, recommendations etc all help.

jam-bo

are Totems still being made? they were the daddy of single crown forks.

mikey74
    Free Member

are Totems still being made? they were the daddy of single crown forks.

They’re not on the RS website, so I assume not.

honourablegeorge

Did a seal change on a set of Totems last night. They’re monsters, giant caricature forks. Shame they’re not around any more.

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

Most of which are only available second hand and are getting pretty old now.

You can buy a new-old-stock Totem, though they’re not cheap. Definitely don’t go Domain, the motion control damper’s perfectly adequate but you’re used to better than adequate. Used lyriks are a pretty good proposition though, as long you don’t buy the <EDIT> 2-step.

jam-bo

as long you don’t buy the dual air

or the two step

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Just get the idylles serviced and jobs a goodun

Northwind

Whoops, that’s what I meant to type 😳 quick edit

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Get some boxxer world cups cut down to 180mm.

Single crown 180mm fo4ks are longer and flexier than 180mm dual crowns…..a lot flexier.

Tge Specialized enduro evo has 180mm cpil boxxers…..you may be able to buy the cut down coils and swap them into a team boxxer.

scruff
    Free Member

I had some 180 totems, much better damping than the domains they replaced. The size of the stanchions means there is a lot of seal friction, even with more fancy Enduro jobbies. I didn’t notice any flex but you do notice the lack of it when going on to boxxers.

Northwind

Maybe I’ve jumped to a wrong conclusion but I just assumed he doesn’t want the dual crown because of steering lock- since a boxxer a2c is identical (*) to a 180mm singlecrown there’s not really a fork length issue

(* well, adjustable but can be identical)

chrishc777
    Free Member

Get some 2008 Bomber 66 rc3, stiffest and plushest thing ever! (Also heaviest)

mikey74
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve jumped to a wrong conclusion but I just assumed he doesn’t want the dual crown because of steering lock- since a boxxer a2c is identical (*) to a 180mm singlecrown there’s not really a fork length issue

Correct.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A boxxer at 200mm is identical to a 180mm singlecrown. Depends if tge OP wants yo get the front end lower.

Dont see the point of 180mm single crowns, the steering lock iasue is lesa of an issue than bike length when riding tight trails.

honourablegeorge

chrishc777 – Member
    Get some 2008 Bomber 66 rc3, stiffest and plushest thing ever! (Also heaviest)

I replaced a set of 66RCs that came with my old Demo with a 2010 Boxxer – all in I took a pound and a half off the bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got some 2007 66 ATA air forks that go up to 180mm.. I wonder what they’re worth…

Northwind

Weigh ’em in for scrap, you could buy a house with all that metal. webuyanyforks.com

molgrips
    Free Member

Hah.

Just looking for a way out, as it’s not going to be easy to replace them when they finally break.

I’ve resorted to hand-crafting replacement string for the insides, I feel like some kind of classic car enthusiast.

transition1
    Free Member

How old are your old BOS Idylle SC forks? Older versions are a coil fork. Still the best 180mm fork out there.

mikey74
    Free Member

They are 2013s, so air.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep, my 66s needed some bodging here and there, pretty sure mine weren’t much less than 4kg

Edit: Just bought some 350crs, had a look inside and looked pretty well put together, no oil or grease at all in there though

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘180mm DH fork options’ is closed to new replies.