Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • 18 year old son wants a tattoo.
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Out of interest, did he say why he wants a pocket watch?

Seems to be a lot of pocket watch tattoos around at the moment.

Only time will tell??…..ha ha ha

hora
    Free Member

Heyyyyy steeeeempeee

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sounds like a good outcome for you both, lucky to both have someone willing to listen 🙂

Sorry if I was blunt. I was, if Im honest, being a tad judgemental and for that I apologise.

Chewkw – seriously? I thought you would be well into Archer. I recommend you give it a look.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

Tell him his pocket watch tattoo means his time is up. i.e. slowly ticking away or slowly dying which everyone can understand so very common. Not cool.

If he wants to be cool then try thinking up something along the line of “cannot turn back the clock” i.e. if I can turn back the clock I would have done thing very differently in my life.

squirrelking – Member
    Chewkw – seriously? I thought you would be well into Archer. I recommend you give it a look.

I used to be into Japs Manga and HK kung fu comics but that’s long time ago, I tried Marvels but they bored me to death to be honest.

No 007 for me I am afraid as I rather prefer watching Poirot and Colombo nowadays because they are much more relaxing, slow and … slow … 😆

jam-bo

When I was 18 I went to tattoo parlour. Guy said he was fully busy for two weeks and to come back then. I never did. In hindsight I really admire his work ethic for doing that. He knew I wouldn’t come back…

I wouldn’t go to a tattoo-ist who didn’t have a waiting list.

DezB
    Free Member

Tell him his pocket watch tattoo means his time is up. i.e. slowly ticking away or slowly dying

Except… the time on a tattoo of a watch/clock never ticks away…

giantalkali
    Free Member

That pocket watch thing is a trendy Steampunk style, it’ll date like any other stylish tattoo.

It looks nice though and that’s all that’s important

chewkw
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Tell him his pocket watch tattoo means his time is up. i.e. slowly ticking away or slowly dying

Yes, it never on a tattoo/painting but then time never stand still as we all know so the meaning is instant when you look at the clock. i.e. it moves forward.

What’s challenging is to get a “time” that goes backward i.e. turning back time like some sort of back to future scenario.

😮

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

He says that he wants the pocket watch set to the time that he was born. Seems both a bit cheesy and a bit of a fad, that will go out of fashion as quickly as it came in, but to be honest I’m just grateful that he is waiting.

wrecker
    Free Member

That pocket watch thing is a trendy Steampunk style,

Is that steampunk?
    This is how I’d imagined steampunk;

hooli

Seems a good outcome OP.

In my opinion, it is not serious as long as he keeps it off his face/neck and hands as this is harder to live with if he decides he no longer likes it in XX years. Lazer removal is also an option as it becomes more readily available.

This is of course if[i] he decides he doesn’t like it, it doesn’t mean he wont.

llama

tells the right time twice a day innit

Cougar

It’s right twice a day, which to be honest is an improvement of some of the posters on here. (-:

TiRed

Sounds like a good outcome from a sensible son. Had the same conversation with my (just this week) 18 yo. It’s a fashion, it’s popular, but like all fashions, only some become style and style that doesn’t date.

I wanted one well before 18 but waited til 20 to be sure of what I wanted. Now 41 and still like it, and am only now currently planning my second

The mere concept of waiting shows maturity. We’ve found watching Tattoo Fixers to be compelling, not least because it is easy to spot good work and poor decisions. Once your son has these two skills, it’s really his choice.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Sounds like a sensible lad but no harm in having a watch of this http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tattoo-fixers to see some of the muppets who’ve had dodgy tatts.
    I love mine btw but it does take about 3 years before thinking of a new one and having it done.

CountZero

The best artists can have a queue. Start researching places. One in Hudds has a year long queue!

The girl in Bath who I’d like to do mine is booked until the end of September at the moment…
    As far as waiting until you’re sure about getting a tattoo and the design, I waited nearly fifteen years, partly because I just wasn’t certain what I wanted.
    My next two will be a pair of Ravens in flight, representing Hugin and Munin, Odin’s messengers; the significance is their names in English, Thought and Memory, and a quotation from Aldous Huxley: “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music”, with a partial stave of music wrapped around it, without lyrics.
    I have a copy of a particular piece of music for reference.
    I need to email copies of my references to Dani and ask her for her input to expand on my basic ideas, then get booked in.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

This is a difficult issue, I would not employ an individual with visible tattoos not that I personally have an issue with tattoos (I really don’t give a s**t) but do they allow other people to pre judge a “tattooed individual” not right but that’s the grim reality of the world we live in …..

hora
    Free Member

I say do what you want, as long as they arent on your neck etc that might interfere with a future job.

Its your body, it blossoms, it withers then goes to dust.

What are you keeping it blank for?

Even ‘mistakes’. Who cares. Its a roadmap.

The one time I say its BAD is fad tats like Pams barbwire, tramp stamp at the base of the spine or aping movie stars like dusk till dawn.

Not saying you are OP, but worse than tats is to suppress your sons personality development. Try to cohere and control his mistakes and choices. Our own mistakes contribute to what makes us unique and interesting

Cougar

I would not employ an individual with visible tattoos not that I personally have an issue with tattoos

You should probably read this.

https://www.gov.uk/employer-preventing-discrimination

mogrim

he’s 18, the concept of being 40 is simply incomprehensible to him.

That is sooooo true.

Also true, nearly all 40 somethings and older, I know. Regrett their tatts. Hide them or undergo the seemingly “uncomfortable” process of removal.

43 here, and quite happy with the tattoo I got when I was 18. Probably ought to get another one, thinking about it.

chewkw
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    43 here, and quite happy with the tattoo I got when I was 18. Probably ought to get another one, thinking about it.

😆

hora
    Free Member

The other hideous fad ones are standard stars on feet etc.

Why?!

dbcooper
    Free Member

It is not my thing, and I would be genuninely upset if any of my kids wanted or got a tattoo, but opposing it is about the worst thing you could do. In fact I am considering getting one so my kids think it is lame..

redthunder
    Free Member

s

dufusdip
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I would not employ an individual with visible tattoos not that I personally have an issue with tattoos
    You should probably read this.

https://www.gov.uk/employer-preventing-discrimination

And back in the real world, a piece of legislation might not be the explicit reason not to give the job, but sure as hell will be a contributing factor behind the scenes.

OP I think you have a good outcome here and probably helped to cement the respect with your son. Went through something similar with a motorbike with my old man and it didn’t go well when he just refused to engage or discuss.

badnewz
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a non-fad tattoo? They are ultimately fashion accessories and fashion by its nature changes. But unlike clothes you are stuck with it. This is the reason I wouldn’t get one, even if I did like them in the first place.

footflaps

Is that steampunk?
    This is how I’d imagined steampunk;

I’m not into tattoos at all, but I do like that!

Daffy

Agree with Footflaps. Amazing work.

CountZero

Is there such a thing as a non-fad tattoo? They are ultimately fashion accessories and fashion by its nature changes. But unlike clothes you are stuck with it. This is the reason I wouldn’t get one, even if I did like them in the first place.

Well, yes: it’s the tattoo you think long and hard about, and design yourself, that has significance for you personally.
    The other sort you just rock up to a tattooist, have a quick look at a load of flash, pick one somewhat similar to the one your favourite celeb has inked on their ass, so you can brag about it down the pub to the rest of your dumb mates.
    That’s why it took me around fifteen years to finally realise that I had to create something with meaning for me, not just something like wot someone else has got. Quite a few people have commented positively on mine, because they’re both simple in design and unusual.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Have never wanted a tattoo largely because I can’t think of anything I’m certain I’d want to see on my body for years to come. I’ve learnt that judging a book by its cover with regard to tattoos is as often right as it is wrong so if my lads wanted one I would counsel against rushing into it, as the OP has and most suggest. If he remained keen then the key to me is to treat it as buying a genuine piece of art and you get what you pay for.
    As a non-fan, even I can see that some are just fantastic works of art.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I like that programme about the tattoo fixers – it really shows the difference between good tattooists and the bad ones. I’ve got a lot of friends with the most amazing tattoos (a few in their 40s) and they love their tattoos (and are still adding to them, in some cases). I’ve got a tattoo which I had done when I was 22, I need to get it re-inked though!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a non-fad tattoo?

Yep. Not so much in Western Culture, admittedly.

I suppose the first culture that immediately coms to mind regarding cultural/geneological tattoimg is the Maori.

“What is a moko?
    Moko is a name for M?ori tattoo and the culture that surrounds it. It is the skin art form of the M?ori.

What is the difference between moko and tattoo?
    ‘Tattoo’ is the English version of the Tahitian word tatu. Tattoo is the tradition of marking the skin with ink and needles, whereas moko is the practice of scarring and marking the skin to reflect the whakapapa (genealogy) of the M?ori wearer. Moko can be seen as a cultural affirmation.

Do moko symbols have a meaning?
    All symbols have meaning, usually a tribal link that tells the background and stories of the wearer. Moko is a visual language that connects the wearer to their whakapapa.”

http://media.newzealand.com/en/story-ideas/ta-moko-significance-of-maori-tattoos/%5B\url]

I suppose one could argue that modern-day tattoos of the type normally discussed hereabouts may sometimes affirm a a deeper cultural affiliation, yet most to my mind are (variously) purchased as an expression of individuality, a nod to fashion-trends, pop-culture and appreciation of the art of tattooists.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ooops, not forgetting Dave who married Trace and still has ‘Trace’ both as his wife and tattooed on his skin 35 years on 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘18 year old son wants a tattoo.’ is closed to new replies.