Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 18 inch frame 29ers – size down or size up?
  • ajt123
    Free Member

I quite fancy a Stanton Sherpa, but am a bit in between sizes.

Currently ride a Ragley Blue Pig X – 17 inch and have a lot of exposed seat-tube – top tube length is alright mind.

Ideally I’d like a 18 inch, 24 inch top tube.

The Stanton is a small 17 inch too – 431 mm and just under.

I’m 6 foot.

Anyone had an experience of sizing up, or sizing down. Otherwise, what alternatives are there?

Spose I could go Cotic solaris, not as slack as I would like. Chromag Rootdown is around similar price, Singular buzzard would be a good shout, but too short in the top tube for me.

#Harrrumph. Alex

ahwiles
    Free Member

suggesion:

go up a size, and use a short stem.

That way you get the long wheelbase stability-at-speed-thing that you like from a slack headangle, without the awful slow-speed handling.

(anyway, ihmo, at 6foot, you’re not ‘between sizes’, you’re a large/19″)

ajt123
    Free Member

Gonna be a titus fireline, isn’t it.

BillOddie

Size on TT length + stem + bar width NOT seat tube length!

danti

+1 for a Fireline, slack head angle, long TT

Surprisingly good climber on steep stuff with 120 forks and great descender.
    6′ almost and 18″ with 55mm stem 711 bars

Yetiman
    Free Member

How about sticking with Ragley? The 18” Bigwig is 605mm with loads of stand over clearance. I’m just over 6ft 1” and I’m running a 45mm stem with 750mm bars and the fit is pretty good.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Unless you have really long legs and a short torso/arms then a large should be right.

sillyoldman

My 2nd hand Kona Honzo? 18″, 24″ TT.

ajt123
    Free Member

Not sure about Ragley, turned into a bit of a ‘fun’ comedy brand now, for example the nasty seat stay bridges.

Don’t want a 19 inch, because of standover. Once made the mistake of getting a 20 inch. Reach has fine, could hardly get my legover.

How much do you want for the Honzo, sillyoldman? Why selling?

sillyoldman

Got a Zealous Division. Similar but lighter.

Looking for £150 as paint is tatty.

ajt123
    Free Member

Hmmmn, I’ll see what the wife thinks *checks respray prices online

NormalMan

ajt123 – Member
    Don’t want a 19 inch, because of standover.

FWIW I completely get whee you are coming from. I am a shade under 6′ but have fairly long limbs. I bought a Spesh Carve as my first 29er (already had a FS 26er from Spesh in Large/19″) so went for the same size.

The reach was fine, etc (70mm stem/700mm bars) but the standover was not right, so much so that it made me think twice before certain more techy stuff on my local rides.

Now I’m on a medium Solaris (17.5″) and that feels much better/given me the confidence to allow the wagon wheels to monster truck there way out of ditches, etc that I would have tried before. The reach could be a tad longer (23.8″ TT going by the Cotic site) but that is probably due to running a 60mm stem. I did replace the stock 710mm bars with 740 now though which has improved matters.

My son wasn’t too disappointed either as he sold his Hardrock and now has the Carve.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘18 inch frame 29ers – size down or size up?’ is closed to new replies.