Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • £175,000
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When one considers that a soccer player in the news this morning was due to be paid £175,000 a week, all of a sudden those banker’s bonuses don’t seem to be that big a deal, really, do they.

Where are the demanding howls for a Robin Hood tax on the soccer industry, eh? 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

Where are the demanding howls for a Robin Hood tax on the soccer industry, eh?

I know what you mean, but we can’t really blame footballers for bringing the county’s financial system to it’s knees.

That is a ridiculous amount of money though (translates as – I wish I could earn that much).

Jamie
    Free Member

Soccer instead of football? Trying a touch too hard CFH.

johnners
    Free Member

When one considers that a soccer player in the news this morning was due to be paid £175,000 a week, all of a sudden those banker’s bonuses don’t seem to be that big a deal, really, do they.

Are you trying to suggest that another bunch being overpaid somehow justifies the banker’s bonuses? Tosh.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you subscribe to sky sports or indeed sky, you can’t complain about what they earn IMHO

Also got to agree, no footballer has ruined the banking set up, sent fuel prices spiralling almost out of control or not ploughed stupid amounts if money into the luxury housing/car market. Most of them also pay a boat load if tax every week on those astronomical wages

vinnyeh

Most of them also pay a boat load if tax every week on those astronomical wages

Really?

iDave
    Free Member

footballers who are unsuccessful are not paid well. bankers who fail are rewarded despite failure. and footballers aren’t gambling with our money on a daily basis, thinking that they know what they’re doing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

rubbish, most of the cash will be for “image rights”

glenp
    Free Member

You miss the whole point – banks know that they can take huge risks and the rest of us will bail them out when it all goes boobs-up. It isn’t the amount of money, it’s the fact that we ordinary folk have to bail them out, and at the same time the arrogant (insert favourite word) simultaneously think they’re better than us.

Footballers’ wages is just a fact of capitalist life. Same as pop stars or actors.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

about 60 to 65% of footballers wages will go to the government by tax

matt_outandabout

about 60 to 65% of footballers wages will go to the government by tax

No, no they won’t. Tax evasion avoidance is used a lot.

igm

Footballers – round ’em up and shoot ’em, they’ll be guilty of something.

iDave
    Free Member

Footballers Bankers – round ’em up and shoot ’em, they’ll be guilty of something.

jon1973
    Free Member

Footballers – round ’em up and shoot ’em, they’ll be guilty of something.

That’s what I like to see; a no nonsense approach to crime and punishment.

DezB
    Free Member

In addition to the above – how long is the average footballer’s career?

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends, a lot go into other areas of the industry. Management, training etc.

jon1973
    Free Member

Footballers Bankers Traffic Wardens – round ’em up and shoot ’em, they’ll be guilty of something.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Really?

The poster did say MOST

IdleJon

Same as pop stars or actors.

There never seems to be any surprise that a person would get paid such a huge amount to read some lines out badly in a blockbuster movie. Often the only talent that actor might have is to look pretty. At least footballers have a talent, of sorts.

DezB
    Free Member

Depends, a lot go into other areas of the industry. Management, training etc

On the same wages?

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, what’s the bloody point of comparing sportsmen/entertainers wages with bankers?
    A: There isn’t one.

xiphon
    Free Member

Don’t buy a match ticket, pay for Sky Sports, or buy products endorsed by them.

Simple.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the same wages?

I honestly do not know.

RustySpanner

Any figures to show us yet on the supposed economic benefits of the Forestry sell out off yet Flashy?

And as to your original question:

When a team gets relegated, we’re not all forced to contribute to the maintenance of the players salaries.

No has to watch football. We have to use banks.

But of course, you knew all that anyway.

You seem like a decent bloke Flashy – you must be really embarrassed by the behaviour of the Eton Mess – Forestry sell off, scrapping of Ark Royal, the Harrier Fleet and the Nimrod programme?

Come and join the Labour Party! They let all sorts in these days 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

You seem like a decent bloke Flashy

He does?

RustySpanner

Well he comes across as far more pleasant than some of the relentlessly negative, nasty, sneeringly cynical no-marks that occasionally inhabit this place.

Whoever he is.

Surprised he’s a Tory really, but there’s no accounting for accidents of birth. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

…..those banker’s bonuses don’t seem to be that big a deal, really, do they.

Your mate George Osborne doesn’t agree with you Flash, in fact he reckons banker’s bonuses are a really big deal. This is what he has said about “those banker’s bonuses” :

“When it comes to the Government and the banks, surely the public are entitled to ask why the Government talk tough and make promises, but then fail to deliver. As we wait to see bonus payments over the coming months, we will remember the Prime Minister’s promise that the era of the big bonus is over.”

Obviously he said that when he was in opposition, not when he was in government and could actually do something about it.

trailmonkey

Just think Flash, most of them come from really crappy council estates too.

BetHope that really hacks you off.

footflaps

STWers Footballers round ’em up and shoot ’em, they’ll be guilty of something.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Don’t they?

So £75,000,000,000 is a small sum of money?

How about £3Bn? Yes, your read it right! An american hedge fund manager made this amount.

Footballers are well overpaid. Their salaries are offensive to decent hard working people, but in the grand scheme of things, they are not at the top of the tree by any stretch of the imagination.

People like Phillip Green do much better, especially when they transfer assets to their spouse who live in tax havens to avoid paying millions in tax!

We’re all in it together mind!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

vinnyeh

Really?

yes really… as employees of football clubs, players are on paye so they pay all the tax due on their salary’s and any appearance bonus. of the £250,000 a week rooney receives from man utd he probably sees less than half.

the bit in the press above relates to the fees the players get outside of their employment for product endorsements etc, that is effectively self employment so they can be more creative with accounting.

there’s not really any comparison between footballers salaries and bankers bonus’s, the football clubs are private companies whereas we own most of the banks!

IdleJon

the football clubs are private companies whereas we own most of the banks!

And football clubs don’t send me letters which cost me a squillion pounds for going a penny overdrawn.

donsimon
    Free Member

How many people pay to be entertained by a footballer week in week out, surely a cut of that isn’t a big issue?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I can’t imagine too many players outside the Premier League’s “more fashionable” clubs will be earning that kind of money; let’s say top 10 for the sake of argument (I can’t imagine too many players at Blackpool, Wigan or Stoke will be on that much, for example).

Now let’s consider the playing squad of Premier League teams is restricted to 25 senior players, and not all of them will be on anywhere near that. Let’s call it half of each team’s squad.

That’s 125-130 England-based players IN TOTAL earning that kind of money. How does that stack up against bankers’ bonuses now?

chakaping
    Free Member

Where are the demanding howls for a Robin Hood tax on the soccer industry, eh?

That’s a very good idea, and it’d be a huge vote-winner – since the people in question are mainly foreign anyway.

Have you talked to Dave about it?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dont usually like to get involved in these types of threads, but i can tell you footballers are ploughing at least half of their wages back into the country week in week out…so yes they may be overpaid, and quite frankly some of them are a disgrace to football, but to compare them to bankers is absolutly awful!

football clubs are run privately, therefore the monies spent is the owners, not the tax payer…mr rooney then gets 250k a week, and probably see’s around 125k of that after paye and national insurance….even the amount left is ridiculous!

the difference being, we have a choice on the wages of footballers (if we all decided, not to go and not buy merchandise etc etc watch sky sports) then they wouldnt receive them, as there would be no market…

bankers, are now controlled mainly by the government, still earning stupid wages, and still earning shockingly massive bonuses for fooooking up the countries finances!

so footballers (who are massively overpaid dont get me wrong) are ploughing money back into the country week in week out, and giving enjoyment to millions over the world VS. bankers who no body can stand, earn money that they are not entitled too and give no enjoyment to a single soul other than themselves and their families…

fair comparison!?!?!??!?!? i think not!

😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but to compare them to bankers is absolutly awful!

Not if you’re a posh toff what loves greedy bankers and hates lower-class sport it ain’t.

IainGillam
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    footballers who are unsuccessful are not paid well. bankers who fail are rewarded despite failure. and footballers aren’t gambling with our money on a daily basis, thinking that they know what they’re doing.

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Depends on your definition of fail, a banker who looses money for their employer will not be on the pay roll for long at all. And the amount of graduates fresh out of top universities with 1st class degrees queuing up to take that job off them is endless.

Iain

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

but to compare them to bankers is absolutly awful!

Not if you’re a posh toff what loves greedy bankers and hates lower-class sport it ain’t

its still not a great comparison though is it? ones a sport, one isnt….

at the end of the day, if i was a banker and a big wig offered me a £500k bonus, i for one would not turn it down….and equally if i was told id be payed £250k a week to play something i love doing, then again i would not turn that down either….

so people who take the moral high ground need to take a long hard look and say, would i complain if i was earning that?!?!?! i think not, nor do i think you would give a toss what some rambling morons think on a cycle forum 😆 😆

johnners
    Free Member

Not if you’re a posh toff what loves greedy bankers and hates lower-class sport it ain’t

CaptainFlashheart a posh toff? Nonsense, he’s just made up, like the rest of us!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘£175,000’ is closed to new replies.