Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 170mm to 160mm Cranks
  • wheelie

Went from 170mm to 160mm cranks today on my fixie. I am 5’4″, 63 years old and ride a gearing of 66 inches.
    I commute 30 miles a day or tend to ride around the South Downs Meon Valley)in the evening. I had read about better and faster climbing with shorter cranks, but assumed that went with a lower gear( mine has stayed the same). I am really pleased….spending a lot more time in the chair, or hovering lightly over it and generaly spending less time out of the saddle. Spinning is a lot more fluid too at speed.
    Does any one else run short cranks?Defo going to 165mm on my mountain bikes.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Great stuff! Sounds like a great move for you.

I went to 165mm on my mtb bike (I’m 5’3″) a few years ago and it’s been such a revelation, it’s something I now won’t ever go back on. No more knee pain (woohoo!) AND I spin better. My husband is about 5’8/9″ and much to his surprise found going to 170s made a noticeable to difference to him too (in the ways you describe and got rid of the slight hip pain he had been experiencing).

The more bikes I’ve had, the more I’ve come to realise it’s more to do with the fit than the bike/components themselves (which, being on the shorter end of the scale has caused some genuine sadness at times!)

ahwiles
    Free Member

where do you get 160mm cranks?

(i’ve got some 175 deore cranks that i’ll hopefully be getting shortened to 155)

wheelie

Mountain Monkey…yes somuch mor usable power at the top of the stroke because your knees are not so bent…..great stuff.

Ahwiles .. Spa cycles on the basis that if i got the length wrong new cranks cost £20, and do youngsters cranks down to about 135mm i believe. I an not sure whether you can shorten Hollowtech Cranks though.

wheelie

Has anyone tried shorter than 160mm cranks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘170mm to 160mm Cranks’ is closed to new replies.