• This topic has 48 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 150mm and 170mm drop Reverb on the way
  • wwaswas
    stewartc
    Free Member

Currently running a 150mm travel Reverb on my 601, like the ability to adjust the seat to where I feel comfortable and it usually means that at steep sections of trail I can get low over the rear tire without the risk of smashing the crown jewels if I need to rapidly move my weight forward. 170mm though, that just sounds like showing off!

pickle
    Free Member

Bigger box = more cost to send back every time you need it ‘fixing’ 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d like a 150, but always been put off with ‘tales’ of longevity issues. Longer drop makes sense with more folks seeming to opt for shorter cranks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

for those with long legs or short seat tubes.

Except that the longer drop models come with longer posts!

I suppose it’s justified on the basis that if you can drop it then you will, so even if you don’t actually need >125mm of drop you’ll still use it and less drop has no advantage.

But, despite frames changing shape to be longer/lower/slacker, why are large frames still coming out with 20″ seatubes! Why not just give us ~17″ seatubes and beef them up enough to take 420mm posts.

Grinds my gears! Why does a 20″ frame need a dropped top tube and a seatpost brace when no one runs a 20″ post at max extension anyway, just make it an 18″ or smaller frame!

wwaswas

Ah, that was supposed to be embargoed until 2pm.

You heard it here first!

longmover
    Free Member

for those with long legs or short seat tubes.
    Except that the longer drop models come with longer posts!
    I suppose it’s justified on the basis that if you can drop it then you will, so even if you don’t actually need >125mm of drop you’ll still use it and less drop has no advantage.

But, despite frames changing shape to be longer/lower/slacker, why are large frames still coming out with 20″ seatubes! Why not just give us ~17″ seatubes and beef them up enough to take 420mm posts.

Grinds my gears! Why does a 20″ frame need a dropped top tube and a seatpost brace when no one runs a 20″ post at max extension anyway, just make it an 18″ or smaller frame!

Can I be an exclusion to your rule? XL Trigger, 430 mm reverb at max extension. I for one would love a 200 mm drop.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Lots of brands don’t. I’m just over 6″, and could happily accommodate another 2″ of drop on my 150 reverb with my frame. 17.7″ seat tube on a large.

tomhoward

There’s already a 150mm reverb, has been for a couple of years?

Northwind

Maybe someone should tell them there’s already a 150mm? I’ve had one for ages.

<edit- damn it!>

More drop is better, though, as long as it fits. Since the Moveloc’s not going to be back on the market for a while I can see me buying one of these to replace my 150.

legend
    Free Member

EDIT: either did I it turns out.

I’m at the opposite end of the scale, 5’9″ riding a 17″ with a 125mm Reverb. I always prefer to have saddle fully slammed when possible, and should be able to sneak a 170mm drop post in (just)

darrenspink
    Free Member

150 is only available in stealth at the moment. I guess they mean the standard version.

chrismac

Im not sure why you would need a dropper post with that much drop that still fitted into your frame and when fully extended allowed you to reach the pedals.

Is there a new generation of super short seat tubed bikes coming?

br
    Free Member

Im not sure why you would need a dropper post with that much drop that still fitted into your frame and when fully extended allowed you to reach the pedals.

New? I run a 150mm Reverb on my 2011 Cube 20″ frame. Having long legs still means I have a couple of inches of tube showing, so a 170mm will be good for me.

roverpig

Here is a 150mm Reverb on my Large Smuggler. I’m “only” 6′ tall, but I reckon there is room for another 20mm of drop there.

When I had a 125mm dropper I thought that was all I’d ever need, but having moved to a 150mm post I reckon there is no such thing as too much when it comes to droppers i.e. just fit the longest one that will work with your frame.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not everyone is the same size as you. Shocker.

stewartc
    Free Member

150mm on my medium Liteville 601, I’m 175cm but with short legs, reckon I could get away with 170mm also to really slam it down to the top tube.

Del

used to drop the old fixed post down to the seat collar on my old 18″ bike and loved having the saddle right out the way. now run a 150mm dropper on a 17″ version of the same frame, and would love the saddle to drop lower sometimes. price of convenience and the other advantages of using a dropper i guess.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Same here rover pig. The only reason I might not get a 170 is I like to velcro my rear light on the little bit of seatpost showing.

BillOddie

I wonder if they have fixed the “don’t lift your bike by the saddle” thing?

LS
    Free Member

Because for many (me included), it’d be far too small!

Northwind

chrismac – Member

Not every bike company’s drunk the Horrible Seatmast Kool-Aid, not sure if I’ve ever had a bike that I couldn’t put a 170mm dropper in. Well. 27.2s but other’n that. Compact frame, long post, makes sense to me. Easier to get off 😆

barney
    Free Member

Well, the XL Kona Process 111 and 153 (and I suspect the 134, although I’ve not ridden it) have 18.6in seat tubes. Which, with the KS posts they come with, isn’t long enough for me. The new XL Hightower I’m testing has a seat tube over an inch lower than the Tallboy LT it replaces, and it’s on the cusp for me with a 150mm Reverb…

(here’s a pic of it with the saddle at full extension, just for you)
    There are plenty of others. The Kona in particular was apparently designed with the impending (at the time) 170mm droppers in mind, but until they appear on the market us longshanks have to make do.

And I’m not the tallest, at 195cm or thereabouts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because for many (me included), it’d be far too small!

That’s what XL frames are for :-p I’m not saying 20″ is too big a frame, I’m questioning why it’s the nominal sized prescribed to people just above average height.

My point was that most people around 6ft probably ride a large frame, and a lot of large frame are still made with 20″ seatubes. Into which I can fit a 125mm post with about 1cm of ‘post’ showing. So why not make frames for people that are 6ft and can fit 150mm+ droppers?

I’m sure some manufacturers do it that way, but the majority don’t.

Pukeko
    Free Member

+1 what Barney said… and I’m only 192!

MSP

iirc the old 150mm reverbs were withdrawn for the 30.9 version due to reliability problems, hopefully the new one will be available for that seat post size.

scruff
    Free Member

So will I be able get a 150 or 170 in 30.9?

barney
    Free Member

a lot of large frame are still made with 20″ seatubes

For the majority of bikes and frames these days, I think you’re wrong. Even BITD centre to top the majority of L frames were around 19inch C2T…

simonbowns
    Free Member

So will I be able get a 150 or 170 in 30.9?

it would seem so, yes. Both are listed on the Fishers B2B website. Fire me an email if you’d like me to keep you posted info@18bikes.co.uk

BillOddie

it would seem so, yes. Both are listed on the Fishers B2B website. Fire me an email if you’d like me to keep you posted info@18bikes.co.uk

I wonder if that means if you have post currently away for warranty, you get a new more reliable version in return?

leftyboy
    Free Member

I wonder if that means if you have post currently away for warranty, you get a new more reliable version in return?

My LBS can’t get seal kits as they are not in stock, Fisher have agreed to replace my Reverb but have no stock so I’ve no idea if I’ll get an ‘old’ new one or a new new one. No idea when either!

kimbers

Still the same lever ?
    Wasted opportunity the southpaw is much nicer to use

Northwind

Maybe I’ve missed it, but any idea of street dates?

Aye kimbers, I think they get too much revenue from selling redonkulously expensive lever repair parts to consider changing that. Always be suspicious when a part is a little fragile, a lot exposed and even more expensive. And it’s a bonus for their OEM sales since it doesn’t set up nicely with some competitors.

simondbarnes

Maybe I’ve missed it, but any idea of street dates?

Stealth available now, non-stealth later this year.

woodster

Still the same lever ?
    Wasted opportunity the southpaw is much nicer to use

Yep, more reliable internals sounds good and I reckon I could just about squeeze in a 170, but have they really decided the lever was the best they could do?

ChrisL

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Odd, several of the XL frames I’ve been looking at have 19″ or 19.5″ seat tubes.

Northwind

Cheers Mr B

swanny853

If the new more reliable seals fit the old posts that would be nice.

I also can’t believe they haven’t offered some sort of alternative lever, and I quite like the old one. I must admit though, I really thought reverb 2.0 would be the old reverb plus an etap actuator on top.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Any prices knocking about for the 170mm ones yet?

simonbowns
    Free Member

glasgowdan – I’ve not crunched numbers yet, but have just added to our EPOS. Email me and I can get in touch once we work our offer out?

info@18bikes.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘150mm and 170mm drop Reverb on the way’ is closed to new replies.