Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • 170/180mm travel full suss.
  • timidwheeler

I’m considering a new bike. What are my options for a 170 to 180 travel full sus? Anyone seen any sale bargains?

Cheers for your advice.

weeksy

what size wheels ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not sure this sector really still exists does it? The old ‘freeride’ sector seems to have been eaten by either lighter than ever DH bikes or more capable than ever Enduro bikes.

BoardinBob

Depends on what you consider a bargain price but this is a great deal

https://www.yt-industries.com/en/products/bikes/enduro/555/capra-cf-pro-race

timidwheeler

I’m guessing 650b. I have looked at the YT. Sadly the cube is sold out in small. The Radion looks interesting.

P-Jay you do have a point. Would a Spec Enduro be nearly as capable downhill as say the Radion?

davosaurusrex

Chakaping has done a good review of the Radon Swoop. They do look good

P-Jay
    Free Member

timidwheeler – Member

P-Jay you do have a point. Would a Spec Enduro be nearly as capable downhill as say the Radion?

They’re competing in the same market so they’ll be ‘ballpark’. 160mm v 170mm rear travel isn’t a game changer.

Enduro bikes have crept up to 170mm rear travel recently but when you asked about 170-180mm bike I was thinking more the old Demo 7, Voltage FR, Lapierre Froggy sector which doesn’t seem to exist anymore.

stewartc
    Free Member

Have you considered a Liteville 601, little more travel at the back (190mm) than you asked but a very capable feeride/AM/Enduro type bike, I run a medium and keep both wheels at 650b.
    Mk2’s frames can be an absolute bargain, maybe even mk3’s as they have just released a Mk4?
    Standard STW gratuitous pic….

hainman
    Free Member

The kona 0process167 is still 26″(old Skool) wheels
    Looks really nice,The Radon bikes are very tasty too

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah the Swoop 9 1×11 is still on discount and an incredible bike, as well as a hell of deal.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/radon-swoop-170-100-anyone-got-one-or-tried-one

transporter13
    Free Member

Have you considered the newer scott voltage?

wl
    Free Member

New Orange Alpine6. I demoed one and it was frankly mind-blowingly good. You won’t notice the 10mm less travel. Mint bike, climbs very well too.

timidwheeler

Some good options. At the moment I’m between the Radon Swoop 9 or the Capra AL Comp 1.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have ridden both, albeit only a brief DH run and a bit of pedaling about on the Capra AL.

The owner said it weighed in at 34lb, which may be a consideration.

It wasn’t really an option for me as it was a bit short and high for my body shape. The ride feel was quite similar I think.

The spec’s really similar isn’t it? Apart from the geometry I think the Vivid Air and the flip chip would steer me towards the swoop anyway. Plus the raw frame of course.

timidwheeler

That’s very interesting as I have relatively short legs, so minimum saddle height/standover height is quite important.
    Not sure about the raw frame. I think the red and black Capra looks stunning.

Voltage is a good shout but it looks a bit too dh orientated. Not keen on the Alpine.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have short legs too, these new long and low frames really suit me.

The large Capra would have been just about OK reach wise, but the seatmast was too high for me (30in inside leg). The medium Swoop is longer in reach than the large Capra.

YT do make a nice-looking bike. The Radon looks much posher in the flesh, everyone has said.

shifter
    Free Member

That Cube 180 looks fantastic though I wouldn’t call 10% off a sale bargain. My even older school Process from CRC was less than half price early last year – that’s a proper bargain.

pablogt
    Free Member

Uzzi and the new Firebird could be worth a look.

shifter
    Free Member

If you can stand 10mm less then Cube Stereo 160 at Paul’s can had for 1600 quid…

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’d probably be looking at a Canyon Torque or that Specialized Enduro with the 180mm travel Boxxers on.

Dango
    Free Member

Yep – as above

Although the Caynon with s/c forks may corner better depending on where you want to ride this?

I have an Enduro and a Canyon – both s/c forks

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Soul Fire from Rose? Again, well reviewed, a snip, and can be demo’d from Fin Paton, UK rep.

Good looking bike too.
    Paul

timidwheeler

Won’t have another Canyon after all the problems I had with the last one. The Enduro looks fantastic but it is a bit too much for me. I have looked at Rose bikes but the build I wanted ended up being quite a bit more than the Radon or the YT.

Will have a look at Cube, Uzzi and Firebird.

bogdan27
    Free Member

Had the same question that bothered my mind and after all went for a Propain Spindrift. 180mm fr/rear and you can get a really good spec on them for no more than £3000.

honourablegeorge

shifter – Member
    That Cube 180 looks fantastic

Know a couple of folks who had them, neither really liked them

gringo

I’d take a look at the Soulfire from Rose bikes too if I was in the market for that type of bike.

timidwheeler

The Spindrift looks very interesting. It’s probably a bit too much, but it does look good.

abeach

Nicoli / Mojo Geometron

chakaping
    Free Member

The Germans have really got it sewn-up when it comes to freeride/”superenduro” bikes.

I’m glad to see these bikes getting more popular again.

bogdan27

Can I ask about your Propain Spindrift? I’m very interested in this bike, I ride a lot of bikepark/uplift stuff, but also local loops on the trails here in South Wales with plenty of climbing. I just want to know how it rides on the uphills? Do you find it easy enough??

tor5
    Free Member

Knolly delerium?

Dango
    Free Member

Bought a Swoop recently. Rides like a DH bike and only a smidge heavier than an AM bike

V.happy

deviant
    Free Member

The sector is making a massive comeback due to forks like the Lyrik, 36 etc….i believe Dirt call it Superenduro!?

Everyone who’s ridden the Cube 180 raves about it, don’t Intense do one? The Radon Swoop is on my wishlist, might head me off buying an out and out DH bike.

rickon
    Free Member

Voltage is a good shout but it looks a bit too dh orientated

Isn’t that what a 170/180 bike is aimed at?

Where you gonna be riding and what trails, timid?

deviant
    Free Member

There are natural trails in Wales where I live where even 160mm seems a little underbiked!
    Some of the boulders and potholes wouldn’t look out of place in Rampage.

chakaping
    Free Member

The thread was started a while ago now, so not sure if the OP is still looking.

I’m getting good use out of my 170mm Swoop anyway. Ridden it a lot locally and I’ve also taken it to Hebden, the Peaks and the Lakes already…

It’s the kind of bike you want to take other places, to see how it rides. Not to trail centres so much maybe.

transition1
    Free Member

you could run 170mm forks on a Patrol or 180mm forks on a Banshee Rune or go full out & the get the Banshee Darkside 180mm rear 180-200mm up front.

rickon
    Free Member

Chakaping… Where’s that? Is it Castle Crag? I’ve definitely been there, but can’t quite remember where it is!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘170/180mm travel full suss.’ is closed to new replies.