Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 17 mile commute and my scranus is red raw Endura!
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Got 2 pair of enduras under shorts for £15 each from CRC. At first I thought they were the bees knees but after approx 10 wears My GOD! 🙁

I want the best padded shorts or under shorts money can buy please??

njee20
    Free Member
    wwaswas

If you have some rawness then Sudocrem will help with healing and then maybe some chamois cream once it’s cleared up.

jacob46
    Free Member

I can see why there in stock! Must be good for £200+

A bit cheaper than that please

mrmo
    Free Member

17miles? ditch the baggies for a start, there is a very good reason why roadies wear lycra.

Then 17miles isn’t really that far so shouldn’t have any issues with any shorts, just make sure you keep them clean and nothing underneath.
    If your doing this regularly probably better off having a few pairs of cheaper shorts rather than one pair of uber shorts.

Personally use Castelli, Assos, Inverse and have no issues with any.

wwaswas

No you don’t 😉

A bit cheaper than that please

I’ve found the pad in Mavic shorts is pretty good, as are the Skins ones.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

try some DHB ones from wiggle

matt_outandabout

I think my Endura inners are poor after a few rides – older Scott and older Nike are great. Mrs_OAB has some old nike and new ‘posh’ endura’s that are not the undershorts but proper lycra, and they are great.

cookeaa

For wearing under baggies, rather than “Proper” under-shorts I prefer to use the cheap (Decathlon) padded Lycra shorts or bibs, a proper pair of Lycra shorts won’t shift about, so the pad stays where you want it, I’ve also got an old set of Shimano Bids with lots of life left in the pad but the Lycra is wearing a bit transparent in the arse area, perfect for use under baggies

I tried the Endura padded Boxers myself a long while back, they were not particularly great, they are basically a pair of baggy cotton boxers with a thin pad sewn in the crotch, they are essentially designed to chafe your gentleman’s region to bits… that put me off “Under-shorts” and persuaded me Lycra was the way to go…

Scapegoat

I wear Funkier bibs on th road bike, no chafing or sores. i also wear them under baggies on the MTB for short ish rides. Any more than an hour in the saddle and I get chafed. It ain’t the undershorts, its the baggies doing the chafing. Ditch the baggies and get some reasonably priced bib shorts.

aP
    Free Member

I regularly commute 15-16 miles home wearing jeans and pants.
    It doesn’t seem to cause me a problem, what am I doing wrong?
    Actually, come to think of it, I usually wear a cotton t-shirt and a lightweight jumper as well, will I die?

Gary_M
    Free Member

You don’t need the best shorts money can buy. My commute is 20 miles each way and I usually use cheapish dhb bibs and don’t bother with chamois cream.

richmtb

I’ve got a pair of Endura click fast undershorts and yes pretty much the same. They try and tear me a new arsehole every time I wear them.

Cheap dhb padded boxers are a lot better.

DezB
    Free Member

Best I’ve found, for sensible money, are Sugoi with the RS pad.

Unfortunately Lab Gear don’t do theirs anymore – was the thinnest pad I’ve used, but easily the most comfortable. Luckily they’ve lasted for a long time too!

hatter

Chamois cream would be my first recommendation, a bit of fiddling with saddle angle may help as well.

If you’re still having issues it’s time for some decent shorts.

The best short pads I’ve owned have been:

Santini: Gel In-Tech (or any of the Gel ones)
    Pearl Izumi P.R.O
    Sugoi RS

Asos, Rapha and Castelli get much love as well.

STATO
    Free Member

jacob46 – which ones did you get, the lycra click-fast ones or the cotton padded-boxers style? I find the lycra ones are fine but the padded cotton ones are truly awful!

If your going for something boxer style my faves are the rapha merino padded boxers, yes they cost more but the quality and comfort is superb. TBH id agree with others and just go lycra for commuting, if you have somewhere to change and dry gear before the commute home that is. Even at my fittest and cruising i break out in a sweat so jeans and t-shirt doesnt work for me.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Funkier shorts have good pads IMO

TooTall
    Free Member

Wearing 2 pairs of lycra shorts under some baggies is a dead cert for rubbing in wrong areas.

One pair of decent bib shorts will see you right, no baggies.

traildog
    Free Member

You do not want the best for commuting – it adds up money wise.
    Number one thing is to keep them clean, especially commuting as the return journey can be iffy.
    I wear baggies when mountain biking but not commuting, it’s better without.

Why do the Endura’s not work for you? Is it chaffing, do they not fit correctly? While they may not be the best, I’m surprised they caused such pain. As someone above said, it should be possible to ride in jeans without huge amounts of pain (used to do it as a kid).

jacob46
    Free Member

More like chaffing, really soar in shower. Think its where the materials are joined and stitched.

I’ve got some funkier lycra ones as well mite try them tonight going to work my scranus has carmed down.

I am going to try others

TiRed

It’s your saddle not your shorts. 17 miles is no distance for discomfort. That or fit. Are they too big for you? My tip for shorts is buy small, you don’t want any bits moving around causing chaffage (or frightening the general public).

jacob46
    Free Member

My shorts are no way 2 small. Just right. I think it’s them singletrack endura shorts I wear over the top of the under shorts. Can’t see it being the saddle. Specialized stuff seems good to me. Mite try sliding it back a bit next time.

njee20
    Free Member

My tip for shorts is buy small, you don’t want any bits moving around causing chaffage (or frightening the general public).

I’d absolutely disagree with that – I’ve got a pair that rub my groin because they’re too small, no good for more than a couple of hours.

1981miked
    Free Member

Try some talc on the delicate areas before you set off, worked for me. I also like the funkier shorts.

gogg
    Free Member

I’ve had these for 18 months, worn them for consecutive days without washing up to 40 miles. Dim problem as we say in these parts.

belugabob
    Free Member

Are you wearing normal underwear at the same time?

water-boy
    Free Member

what saddle are you using and is it set up right with right angle of the dangle!

I’ve always found mavic tights good, but then again I like endura as well – but never had the cheaper endura stuff

shifter
    Free Member

Aldi. For 40 quid you’ll have a pair for every day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try and keep your crack clean.

jacob46
    Free Member

My crack is alwalys clean.
    No I don’t wear underwear with shorts, just endura padded under shorts and endura single track mtb shorts.
    Going to try my pair of funkier tomorrow. Had to give the scranus a rest today.

jacob46
    Free Member

Will defo try talc as well. Cheers.

tonyd

I’d agree with nobeer, you just need to make sure your bottom is clean. I occasionally get chafing but only after spicy food and dodgy poos.

tonyd

Also worth considering – how long have you been doing this commute? Takes a little while for things to toughen up IME.

garage-dweller

The Decathlon bibs I bought last summer were great. A bit fragile if you get hit by a car.

Go for the “mega mileage” pad option (ie the top of the range and the pad is seam free.

woodsman
    Free Member

Swobo if you can find them.

I had similar problems using Endura, absolutely drove me nuts – no pun intended 😉

DanW
    Free Member

Those Endura undershorts/ clip in shorts things are bloomin’ useless.

Most cheapish proper lycra padded shorts should be comfortable and a massive improvement. They should all be pretty comfortable initially and by and large the price seems to determine how long they stay comfortable for before they deform or degrade over time IME (in terms of weeks or months not over the course of a ride). It is only when you start paying silly money that the initial comfort jumps up a level and the longevity also jumps up a notch.

I’ve had good experiences with Lusso, Santini and DHB shorts which can work out great value for how good they are. Tend to keep them for mid week rides up to a couple of hours and time spent on the turbo. If you really insist on undershorts (wouldn’t be my preferred option) then Mavic Stratos are the best I have tried. They don’t seem to be available online but your LBS can order them in. Really excellent pad but pricey and brace yourself before Goggle Imaging them 😯

jeffl

In defence of Endura I regularly use their clickfast liners and 3/4 shorts for my daily 10 mile each way commute and day long rides in the peaks without issues. I also have some funkier winter bib tights and I find the pad a bit too thick and nappy like.

I guess all our arses are different so what works for one person may not work for another.

ChrisI

My vote goes to DHB. Their mid/top line stuff is great for commuting and longer rides. I’ve got some of their shorts that are now into their 3rd season of commuting and look brand new with 18 miles each way during the summer months, 5 each way in the winter. I have found you need to find a pad that suits you and dont always think thicker is better. I have some Altura gel shorts which feel lovely when new with their gel inserts but get irritated after a while on longer rides. The DHB ones are thinner and feel like they wont be as comfortable when you start but after 15-20mins you dont notice them at all and go on for a good few hours.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Ditch the baggy layer. I think baggies are designed for mountain biking when you’re on and off the bike a fair bit.

The only time I’ve had really bad saddlesores was when touring, when sat in the one position for a good while. In my experience the baggies bunch, pinch and chafe at the “scranus” when this is the case.

Scranus. That’s my word of the week. 😀

shifter
    Free Member

The clickfast liners are ok (had two pairs for years), it’s the cycling boxers that are rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘17 mile commute and my scranus is red raw Endura!’ is closed to new replies.