Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 17. 5 or 19?
  • sevenandnine

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a neewbie question or has been asked before.

I am 178 cm tall and am looking to buy a 2012 Core 26.5

The bike shop has two sizes available, 19″ for people 178 cm and taller, and a 17.5″ frame for people up to 178cm tall.

Is is better to have a smaller frame for more manoveribilty on the trails?

Any opinions or advice would be great, I think an inch and a half would make a difference…
    thanks 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

17.5 sounds spot on IMHO.

daveh
    Free Member

Try both but assuming thats not possible, smaller is usually better especially if you value your soft bits. My last 2 bikes have been 18inch and I’m 185cm.

LMT
    Free Member

Need to sit on the bike, and see how it feels, reach standover etc ethier or both might not quite fit.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s the Top Tube length that’s most important to be honest, and there’s only 15mm in them. Also depends on your proportions…

Anyway… I’m 1m80 and ride a 17.5″ Genesis Altitude. I went for the 17.5 over the 19 cos I’ve got slightly longer legs and a shorter torso but also cos I prefer a slightly smaller bike with a longer stem. I could happily ride a 19 though with a shorter stem, but I prefer the handling of the smaller frame.

Mackem

It’s a hard one. The 19″ probably lends itself better to a short stem, which may be better for you.
    But then, it depends on the frame, the toptube might be long enough for you to have a short stem anyway.

FWIW I stepped down from a 19″ with a 50mm stem to a 17.5″ and after much experimentation I’m running a 80mm stem on it and it feels perfect.

Best to try if you can.

smell_it
    Free Member

What do you ride now? And how does it fit you?

sevenandnine

Thanks everyone

Kahurangi

You might be happier with the larger frame and a slightly shorter stem…

basically what Mackem said.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘17. 5 or 19?’ is closed to new replies.