Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1.7"-2.0" gravel tyre – moon on a stick requirements?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m currently riding 2″ semi-slicks on my 26er hardtail on and off road as a sort of gravel bike but am moving on to a grown up 29er (Swift) and need some suitable tyres.

My current tyres are surprisingly tall for 2″ with quite a high volume so are nice and comfy but a bit portly at 650g each. I’m hoping that the increase roll over of 29er will allow me to lose a bit of weight and still have a comfortable ride; I was thinking that something in the 1.7″-2″ would be a good starting point.

Most ‘proper’ gravel tyres seem to come no bigger that 700×40 so I’m wondering about a 29er semi-slick.

I want something comfy and, most importantly, something that safe on the road (I ride a lot in heavy traffic in all sorts of weather) and it would need to be up to some stoney off-road.

I thought that I’d found the perfect tyre in WTB’s Riddler 45c but I just can’t get hold of a pair (importing them from Europe will cost about £90 a pair which is a big punt for a try out).

I did wonder about WTB Nanos but I’ve heard that they’re not that great on tarmac and I’ve also considered Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (essentially slicks).

On-One have some Schwalbe G-Ones in 2.35 but they may be a tad too wide (I’ll be fitting mudguards) and are the Speed (rather than Allround) version which I think might have a durability issue.

What else should I be considering?

Rik
    Free Member

Bontrager XR1 Team Issue 29×2.0 Tyre

Light, fast and tubeless ready.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager-xr1-team-issue-29×2-0-tyre.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwbmR8dHo1gIVbbXtCh1OoQ_8EAQYASABEgL1jPD_BwE

I just happen to have a spare pair in the garage I can sell you for a very reasonable price 😆

PJay
    Free Member

That certainly looks interesting (as does the XR0); have you ever ridden them on tarmac?

benman
    Free Member

Depending how much off-road grip you need… I just bought some 2″ Schwalbe big apples to do a similar task – a mainly on-road winter commute, with the odd off-road bit. Seem to be doing the job so far, and they make the tarmac part of the ride much more of a pleasure.

Winstanleys were doing them for £36 a pair (and I managed to get them up tubeless)

Rik
    Free Member

I’ve done on/off road tours in Europe with them and it’s good

Pyro

Nanos are okay on tarmac if you’re at a decent pressure for it.

ElShalimo

Have you considered WTB’s Riddler 37c or are they just too narrow?

nedrapier

Nothing to add really, other than that you’ll probably be alright with 2.35s and mudguards in a swift. Thanks for the nod on the G1s on On-One. Just bought a pair for 35 delivered.

2.0 Marathon supremes would be my choice for what you’re after though. slicks are pretty good for more off-road conditions than you’d think – everything up to cornering hard in wet mud.

Edit: read yours again.

I want something comfy and, most importantly, something that safe on the road (I ride a lot in heavy traffic in all sorts of weather) and it would need to be up to some stoney off-road

big slicks. 2.0 supremes or 2.35 big apples if you want bigger and don’t mind heavier.

jonnyboi

you can get a gravelking in 700x 43c

PJay
    Free Member

you can get a gravelking in 700x 43c

That I didn’t realise, cheers. Ooh, and the do tan sidewalls too!

OCB
    Free Member

My Peregrine is currently wearing Schwalbe Smart Sam’s in 29 x 1.75 (47-622).

Wired only in that size, not super light, and not slicks, but I’ve grown to rather like them for general JRA duties (what would have been thought of as ‘mountain biking’ back in the day).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

47-622 Landcruisers or Marathon GT 365s?

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve found someone selling pairs of 29×2 Marathon Supremes on Ebay for £39.95 which seems silly cheap; do Schwalbe do OEM?

welshfarmer

I have Vee-tyre Rails on my gravel bike. I got them for about £12 each when one of the big companies (may have been Chainreaction) were getting out of the brand. They were the only ones left and although different sizes I thought I would take a punt at the price. As it is I quite like the combo with a 700×40 on the rear and a 29×1.9 on the front. They are still showing on the Vee-Tyre website so I guess you can get them somewhere.

https://www.veetireco.co.uk/tyres/cyclocross

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1.7"-2.0" gravel tyre – moon on a stick requirements?’ is closed to new replies.