Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • £16K for a bike!!
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/sworksmclaren/

Really, has anyone bought one?? I thought the Trek Emonda SRAM red at £11k was mad, but this takes things to a whole new level. Is it really worth another £5K?

Jamie
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

£60k for a bath tub!!
    http://most-expensive.com/top-10-furniture
    etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilwheel
    Free Member

I’ll have one of each then.

njee20
    Free Member

I thought the Trek Emonda SRAM red at £11k was mad, but this takes things to a whole new level. Is it really worth another £5K?

They’re doing different things, the Emonda 10 uses a ‘normal’ frame, but they’ve hung some mental parts on it to make it crazy light. The McLaren Tarmac is all around the frame technology from McLaren, although things like EE Cycleworks brakes are hardly common.

Apparently the McLaren Tarmac is proving quite popular, despite (or perhaps because of) the price tag.

johni
    Free Member

Mine’s fine as a winter hack….

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks lovely, I must admit.

traildog
    Free Member

You are getting a free helmet and shoes with the frame as well, so you have to factor those into the price.

In answer to your question, I am sure plenty of people buy them. A limited edition Mclaren S-Works. Just the name will shift a few and the price probably helps to sell it.

njee20
    Free Member

There is only 250 of em!

ads678

One of the Astana team was riding one of those in the TDF I think?

njee20
    Free Member
    warton
    Free Member

Nic Roche was riding one in the tour, it’s the one he gave to Bertie IIRC.

If I was mega rich, and 16k was affordable to me I’d buy one. I love the colour scheme.

prawny

Ooh the carbon spider saves 10 grams!!! I’ll have three.

njee20
    Free Member

I like the colour scheme, but not the orange colour, and think Spesh missed a trick really. Don’t McLaren have a limitless palette? You can have your P1 any colour you want – should’ve done the same for the bikes.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I saw an irregular work acquaintance of mine the other day, who is director of a large institution who (and I think he knows this in is heart-of-hearts) is you’re quintessential MAMIL, rather than the racing snake he likes to think he is, and already has a the Emonda/SRAM Red on order….. but, having seen the spec, is seriously considering getting a McLaren Tarmac as well.

Watch out any sportivists in the South West (but only if it’s dry mind, he doesn’t like riding in the rain…. 😉 ) – so, yes, there is defo a market for these kind of trinkets….

njee20
    Free Member

If I had either of those I sure as hell wouldn’t ride them in the rain, not least I’d sooner have better braking.

If he rides the Emonda in a sportive he’ll be the one stood at the side of the road trying to change his uber light tubs.

cookeaa

Its not really a product that anyone actually buys, but it is a nice little promotional exercise, there’s not really any technical input from McLaren though is there…

Rounding out the package is a custom colorway, co-developed with McLaren and painted in their exclusive McLaren Special Operations Center in Woking, Surrey UK

McLaren optimized carbon layup resulting in a 9% – 11% weight savings over standard S-Works Tarmac depending on frame size;

I assume “McLaren optimized carbon layup” means they had a bit of a look and suggested leaving out a couple of plys…

Nowhere does it say you get custom frame geometry or that the frame has been layed up or autoclaved by McLaren… so its a paint job and some stickers

If I had that sort of money to spend on a “Serious” Road bike I’d be ordering a Parlee…

Specialized get a tie-in with that there McLaren, and some easy lightweight publicity from “Tech” websites and mags, McLaren get a bit of cross over publicity too I suppose…

McLaren/Specialized Fanbois or simply people with more money than sense can get all frothy over something “exclusive” and expensive and add it to their wish list… A little bit of harmless consumerist fun…

grenosteve
    Free Member

So it’s just a bike right?? It doesn’t do anything else?? 16k…… 😕

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If I had either of those I sure as hell wouldn’t ride them in the rain…

He does an occasional single-digit mileage commute on his current dandy-horse – a Super Record EPS equipped Dogma. He recons that will be his wet weather bike when the two new bikes arrive…..

I’m not bitter – to some extent I egg him on 😉 – it’s nice to see some of this top end bling in the flesh rather than just reading about it!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nowhere does it say you get custom frame geometry

It does say that, doesn’t it? (Although it could just mean it comes with the right saddle and stem length for your size)

lemonysam
    Free Member

So it’s just a bike right?? It doesn’t do anything else?? 16k……

It generates threads like this…

bol

My LBS has sold one, so someone’s up for it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

People spend stupid money on nice shiny things all the time because it makes them feel good. If you like bikes, want one, and have the money then good for you.

So it’s just a bike right?? It doesn’t do anything else?? 16k……

It’s just a car, it’s just a kitchen, it’s just a laptop… etc. etc.

njee20
    Free Member

You do get custom geometry – you get measured up at the Spesh HQ in Chessington, there’s a bloke there whose job it is to be the single point of contact for the McLaren Tarmac purchasers!

Far from this:

Its not really a product that anyone actually buys, but it is a nice little promotional exercise,

stumpy01

…..Additionally, every S-Works McLaren Tarmac will be built to the individual specifications of the rider based upon the included Body Geometry Fit consultation for a truly personalized experience.

Does this mean that it’s effectively a custom frame? Or just that the stem/crank length will be swapped out etc.
    I suspect the latter.
    edit – bit late to see njee’s post above. So it’s a custom geometry frame then, rather than different length bits fitted??

wrecker
    Free Member

The new demo is rumoured to be in the region of £13K.
    Happens in all areas; you can pay a million pounds for a car.

njee20
    Free Member

So it’s a custom geometry frame then, rather than different length bits fitted??

I didn’t definitively ask (as it was a general conversation, rather than actually being a prospective buyer), but the implication was actual custom frame.

mudshark
    Free Member

Silly money stuff is great, none of us will buy one but will be fairly exicited if we see one. Also good for retailers as gives a nice little profit boost from those that can afford to give it.

If he rides the Emonda in a sportive he’ll be the one stood at the side of the road trying to change his uber light tubs.

Team car/spare bike for him surely?

cookeaa

Nah Reading this:

every S-Works McLaren Tarmac will be built to the individual specifications of the rider based upon the included Body Geometry Fit consultation for a truly personalized experience.

Nowhere does it actually say they change the geometry (of a frame that comes out of a mould???) I would simply assume that they’ll measure your fat, wealthy arse and a few other key bits and put their very best BG saddle/Bars/Stem/cranks on a stock geometry (slightly different layup?) frame that is the closest fit…

Spesh don’t really do “Custom” this is simply a limited run bike with fancy parts and paint…

Like I said if you’ve got £16k to spend on a road bike get yourself fitted for a Parlee…

cookeaa

Actually, can you get a roof rack (Carbon of course) for a P1 so you can put your matching Tarmac on the roof?

Otherwise how else will people know you’re minted?

Its OK of course for us Mortals Apollo have done a tie in with Marussia

Jamie
    Free Member

Like I said if you’ve got £16k to spend on a road bike get yourself fitted for a Parlee…

Sorted.

cookeaa

This is a bit more interesting and detailed

It seems they did significantly change the layup, it actually sounds like they’ve made it more labour intensive to produce the McLaren version (in the same mould?) but it is lighter and they’ve tuned the stiffness in each size to account for rider weight…

Still ain’t worth £16K though…

@Jamie… Nice!

Speeder

Given how much more than average you CAN spend on a car £1m+, I’m surprised it’s not considerably more.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just to turn it around a little

A certain fella with a broken collar bone has a green maclaren car.

Would he get the STW seal of appoval is he threw his bike on top ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still ain’t worth £16K though…

Expensive thing in “not worth it” shocker 🙂

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Parlee keep getting mentioned. I had never heard of them until a week ago!! They look very nice, but how good is the warranty compared to a Trek/Spesh? Has anyone claimed under the Cevelo lifetime warranty? how do they compare to Trek/Spesh warranties?

alibongo001

This bit made me laugh!

PEDALS Nylon flat test ride, loose-ball, w/ reflectors

16k for a bike and it comes with nylon pedals and reflector like a Halfords special!

😕

tthew

PEDALS Nylon flat test ride, loose-ball, w/ reflectors

If you get the shoes, (as suggested on page 1) why would you not get the pedals too??

At least I’ll be able to ride mine to the pub with my football trainers on.

njee20
    Free Member

A certain fella with a broken collar bone has a green maclaren car.

Would he get the STW seal of appoval is he threw his bike on top ?

Does he? He always used to have a green Audi R8.

If you get the shoes, (as suggested on page 1) why would you not get the pedals too??

What are ‘the’ pedals? Shimano? Look? Time? Speedplay? Crank Brothers? Road bikes very rarely come with pedals because it’s a personal choice.

16k for a bike and it comes with nylon pedals and reflector like a Halfords special!

It has to come with pedals, reflectors and a bell in order to be sold in the UK. Nowt to do with price.

richmars

Specially designed wall mount display developed exclusively for the S-Works McLaren Tarmac holds the bike, shoes, and helmet elegantly;

So you’re not supposed to ride it, just hang it on the wall and look at it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘£16K for a bike!!’ is closed to new replies.