Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 165mm or less external bb cranks?
  • lovewookie

Cheapest and shortest I’ve seen are alivio then zee. Any non shimano in 165 or less about? For high ish end kids bike.

Ta

Rorschach
    Free Member

Send them to Bencooper at Kinetics (at least I think it was him) and he’ll chop em and re tap them for you.There was a thread on here not long ago about it.

lovewookie

yeah, I was more looking at off the shelf rather than retapped. I imagine there’s a limit to how short you can go with hollowtech and scooped out arms as most have.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I am just possibly going to sell some xt 165mm arms if your interested?

Pridds

Raceface do a few 165 sets

poah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to use shortened hollowtech cranks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Zee could be shortened, as they are only slighltly scooped on the back. some of the new SRAM stuff looks similar.

(but you can’t fit a granny ring to a Zee crank)

there are some ‘Gusset’ cranks, which i believe have solid arms…

but off the shelf? – more or less nothing.

(which is odd)

lovewookie

Yeah thought so. Assisting with the build of nice carbon hardtails for the youth MTB club. After one build (SLX groupset (xt 165mm cranks), superstar wheels and DT swiss forks) there were a couple more enquiries, but they come in a touch too pricy so looking to reduce cost but stick with the external BB type as the frame is PF30 (suppose I could use adapters for square taper..though it seems a shame, and a step backwards)

zero-cool
    Free Member

I think Canfield sell some short cranks. Otherwise look at the BMX market. Profile are expensive but I’m sure other cheaper brands will sell shorter cranks. You should be able to find some lightish ones from a race BMX and then just use a BB adapter if it needs one

Tom KP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘165mm or less external bb cranks?’ is closed to new replies.