Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 16/17 Dividends / Salary Question from a Noob (Student Loan)!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Just trying to sort out the most effective tax bits and bobs now I’m a ltd company…

lots of places online are saying the following is the best option:

£8040 paye
    the rest in dividends

But I’ve seen some of them mention that they assume no student loan… I think I’ve got about 10k left to pay on mine – does anyone have any thoughts if that affects it?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Dividends is still the best option with a salary to the national insurance primary threshold. Your student loans will be paid on your total income as per your tax return.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks for clarifying Craig – the site I read for some reason set it £20 below the primary threshold – not sure why? wondering if they were just playing it a little “safe” but I don’t see how it would go over that figure?

Student loan going out of my PA makes sense too.

Many thanks

craigxxl
    Free Member

Between lower and primary threshold you still qualify for NI contributions without actually paying any.

GJP
    Free Member

I would have hoped you at least need to pay yourself the minimum wage? Or, can you get away with saying you only work part time?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

GJP – Member
    I would have hoped you at least need to pay yourself the minimum wage? Or, can you get away with saying you only work part time?

No such thing as minimum wage for a company director. It’s a salary

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘16/17 Dividends / Salary Question from a Noob (Student Loan)!’ is closed to new replies.