Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 160mm Pikes on my Stumpjumper?
  • sprinter2139
    Free Member

Thinking about upgrading the Revelations on my 2015 Stumpjumper 650b to Pikes.

Now the question I have is do I stick with 150mm or go for 160mm to slacken the head angle and raise the BB slightly??

I found an old thread on Pinkbike where a load of people were singing the praises of 160mm Pikes on the Stumpy, but they were from a couple of years ago.

teethgrinder

I went 160mm from 150mm up front on my Spitfire. I like it – slackens it a bit and probably a couple of mm more BB height to help avoid pedal strikes. I did notice I needed to drop down to 1 token from the 2 I had previously.

That’s 26″ wheel in a 650b fork, as well.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I went 160mm from 150mm up front on my Spitfire. I like it – slackens it a bit and probably a couple of mm more BB height to help avoid pedal strikes. I did notice I needed to drop down to 1 token from the 2 I had previously.

That’s 26″ wheel in a 650b fork, as well.

I was looking at getting a 2nd hand set off eBay as they’re not mega money, especially as I can see myself spending more time at places like Bike Park Wales than Swinley Forest!

lardman
    Free Member

Does your stump have a spacer between the bottom of the head tube and the fork face? I think 2015 650b stumpy scams with one fitted. Mine did and I just removerd it. That will save you the 10mm extra travel and keep your Geo more or less the same.

dave999
    Free Member

Hi sprinter,
    I have same year frame in 650b for a year now (bikescene),i got 160 pikes from new as i read about steepness of head angle. I also use an offset shock bush to slacken a bit more. Rides great in my opinion. I would like it more slack but you cannot get on offset headset for them as they do not fit. If you do get 160 pikes you can akways alter back down to 150 with a new bit inside. £20 ish i think.
    Dave

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Does your stump have a spacer between the bottom of the head tube and the fork face? I think 2015 650b stumpy scams with one fitted. Mine did and I just removerd it. That will save you the 10mm extra travel and keep your Geo more or less the same.

I don’t think mine does, I’ll check when I get home though. Did you mean to remove the spacer when fitting Pikes to keep the frame geo the same?

Hi sprinter,
    I have same year frame in 650b for a year now (bikescene),i got 160 pikes from new as i read about steepness of head angle. I also use an offset shock bush to slacken a bit more. Rides great in my opinion. I would like it more slack but you cannot get on offset headset for them as they do not fit. If you do get 160 pikes you can akways alter back down to 150 with a new bit inside. £20 ish i think.
    Dave

This is what I’m thinking, and by the time I’ve got the sag set correctly the geo will be about the same as the unweighted geo of the 150mm fork.

What’s an offset bush, is that just a bush with the hole not in the middle?

I’ve already setup a couple of watched searches on eBay. 8)

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Stumpy 29 which should have a 140mm fork running 150mm Pike and it’s great. Give it a go.

chiefgrooveguru

If you want a slacker head angle and a higher BB (and your saddle isn’t all the way forward on the rails to compensate for the seat tube angle) then going from a 150 to 160mm fork is a great idea.

That era of Stumpjumpers (the first 27.5 ones) have rather steep head angles and low bottom brackets so it should be a nice improvement. I wouldn’t take the spacer out to shorten the A-C length as that’ll lose you the geometry benefit.

An offset bush will slacken the head angle but lower the BB even further – only do that if you’re not getting pedal strikes or are happy buying some shorter cranks.

gallowayboy

2015 stumpy with a 160mm slant here – when I first built and rode it, I was surprised at the low BB to be honest. I’ve had to learn different a pedaling technique for level/uphill techy or rutted ground. Sorting the rear shock setup helped a bit as well. Wouldn’t want the BB any lower, and if/when I swap the fork for something better i’ll be keeping it 160.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I’ve got a trip to Bike Park Wales booked for the first weekend in March so I’m aiming to get this done before then, sounds like 160mm is the way to go!

Makes sense about the spacer, if it’s not there I’ll put one back in. But I certainly won’t take it out as I want the slacker head angle.

I’ve clipped the pedals a few times already, but I quickly learned I can’t pedal at the bottom of swoopy terrain on this bike, but a few mm higher BB would be a welcome addition all the same.

lardman
    Free Member

I took the spacer out of my bike as I like the steering on my ‘short travel’ trail bike to be a little more immediate.
    I have a slack Enduro bike for faster ad steeper stuff, but I like the Stumpy to react quickly.

Having said that, its right on the cusp of being ‘too’ quick to turn without the spacer. Especially on anything steep and turny.

I also had to adjust my riding to avoid the pedal strikes, but love the low bottom bracket when raggin’ the turns.

dave999
    Free Member

Hi sprinter.
    yep mine has big spacer below headtube, frames were meant to be 29ers originally and altered. ??
    Yep i bought offset bush from offsetbushings.com, (£12.00 plus fitting) you can only use one as rear is a yoke. yep hole is off centre, i DO get pedal strikes and as others have said have altered my style, it is all a compromise, low btm bracket means railing the turns. I love the bike.
    Dave

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I’ve just been out and checked the bike, no spacer below the headtube. Just the bottom of the bearing cup (or whatever you call it) and then the suspension crown, there’s nothing in between.

There’s enough spare steerer tube to add a 10mm spacer back in, but if I’m changing the fork anyway there’s not much point right now I guess.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Okay I lied, the big black ring at the bottom of the steerer which I thought was part of the bearing assembly is infact the spacer you are all refering to, as pictured below…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘160mm Pikes on my Stumpjumper?’ is closed to new replies.