Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 160mm – Master of none?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

In short I’m selling my DH bike and Trail bike for a “All mountain” bike such as SB66, Bronson, Spicy ETC. Whilst it’ll be much more convienient for me to have one bike I feel the 160mm will be too much for my local riding – Chase, XC exploring and South wales trail centres and too little bike for the likes of the Alps and Cwmcarn DH at speed. Reassure me with your tales of 160mm bikes being a master of all

honourablegeorge

Decent 160mm bikes, built light but tough, will do just about anything. Marvels of the bike world.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Mega AM with travel-adjust fork 💡

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Mega with a two step Lyrik ( that works)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I built a Nukeproof Mega with 170mm Lyrik RC2DH last year to replace a Meta 5 with Pikes.

I’m faster up and down on it that the Meta and haven’t touched my DH bikes since I built the Mega. In fact, I’ll probably sell it now I’m not racing.

Riding anything from Wharncliffe DH to trail centers to 30+ mile 4500 feet ascending Peak day rides on it, but mostly fast-ish local rides.

Just gone 1×10, it’s about 30.5lbs and my go-to bike for almost anything apart from pump track.

stevede
    Free Member

I went the other way this year having had a five with 36’s which I loved as my all rounder but unfortunately I killed that frame when it was just 6 months old and then lost confidence (bent the swingarm, seat tube and cracked shock mount), then went up to a specialized enduro which was a great bike once I’d had the rear shock tuned but was just that bit too much bike for the xc/trail rides but not quite a dh bike for the dh stuff. I’ve ended up back with a dh bike (commencal atherton v2 supreme) and a ti slackline with some lowered 36’s fitted. Cover a lot more bases with a lot less compromise but as a consequence the hardtail gets used a lot and the dh bike not so much but it’s nice to have the right tool when I do uplift days etc (although the hardtail is getting used for this as well sometimes as I’m lovin it).
    I know this isn’t much help but thought I’d give you a different viewpoint. If you must only have one bike then something like a mega, stumpy evo, enduro, yt ltd etc all look great bikes and I’m sure you wouldn’t be disappointed.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m not racing DH ATM, If I do in the future I might look at getting a 200mm machine again. I’ve got a Giant Glory now and a Specialized Stumpjumper elite not evo. I was looking at the Stumpy evo but I think the Enduro Carbon would be slightly better for Bike parks and DH

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I “Did it all” for years with Hecklers. It was fine (to a point) I had 2 sets of wheels & 2/3 fork options that I could swap in and out. 2x & 1x setups and 2 shocks (air & coil) the upshot was I had a heavy XC/Trail bike and a out of it’s depth DH bike. For the trail based alps stuff it was great (whiteroom holidays & mega race) but for alpine DH trips it was just a bit lacking/getting punished.

I killed a frame doing that so was a bit nicer to the new one. Personally 140mm trail bikes when right can do a lot which still leaves room for a DH bike – why not keep the DH for play days and build the nice 140-160 machine without compromise.

Northwind

It depends so much on the bike. I love my Hemlock, because it really does do it all well- a classic weekend up north was one day uplifting at fort william on the nevis red and worldcup route, then a day’s easy XC on the west highland way and thereabouts, then finishing off with a day doing laps of laggan. Never felt like the wrong bike for any of it. Raced it in the endurance downhill at fort bill, came in about halfway up. Last time I rode it was glentress red, next time is likely to be les arcs, nae fuss.

And the best bit is, there’s nothing really special about that at all, loads of bikes can do it these days.

TheFlyingOx

Decent 160mm bikes, built light but tough, will do just about anything.

Yup. My 100mm XC bike is in bits and has been for about 3 years now, since I got my 160mm bike.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing the same, but the last couple of goes ended up as you said, master of none.

Chumba climbed like a 3 legged dog and the enduro was too much bike, apart from when I took it downhilling (and also climbed like a dog).

Bikes have moved on, so I’m tempted to have another crack at a do-it-all bike, as I cannot be arsed with fixing and maintaining two full suspension bikes anymore.

kayak23

I think the trick is to have components you can easily swap depending on what you do. I have lighter wheels and an air shock on my mega for pedalling days, and a coil shock and burly wheels for dh. Great.

Duane…
    Free Member

Jack of all trades, master of none. No getting away from it.

I have a 2013 Commencal Meta AM with a decent tough/light build, but there’s still no getting away from the above.

It handles DH tracks fine, but still gets bucked about a fair bit.
    It copes fine on XC rides, but you can tell the extra weight/bounce.

It’s crap on “proper” jumps (any 160mm trail bike will be).

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

140mm bike and ride faster. Make sure you select the correct 26in wheel size for more turn in and out. You might have a problem with getting the correct size rims, so chop some out of them wagon wheels, for optimum.

stewartc
    Free Member

Decent 160mm bikes, built light but tough, will do just about anything.

Modern 140-160mm bikes are very good except for the very extremes such as competitive XC or HD but if your were doing that all the time you would not go for a ‘do it all’ bike.
    Happy with my SB66c, handles all day trails/AM rides with lots of climbing and the odd DH park with ease though in fairness I am no pro rider.

julians
    Free Member

I’m happy with my 160mm bike (mojo HD) as my only bike.

I do flat’ish trail centres (cannock etc), welsh/scottish trail centres, peaks natural stuff, uplift (antur stiniog etc), bigger mountains (snowdon), and alps uplift and southern spain, and even the odd short road ride.

I’m not the fastest at any of them, but dont really aspire to be. It is fun on all of them though (apart from the road maybe).

Bagstard
    Free Member

YT Industries all mountain thingy, I had a go on it recently and even though it’s 170mm travel it was fun at Swinley. The Bos suspension only uses the travel when it needs to and feels firm and sprightly on smoother stuff. The spec is ridiculous for the money.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Im reasonably happy with a sb66 as my dh/uplift as well as my xc/trail bike.

I dont really ever feel held back dhing on it, but do always feel a little wasteful using it for xc bimbles on terrain youd be comfy using a rigid.

kimbers

Im noticing a theme here ……… carbon seems to be the key, lighter for xc, stiffer for gnarrrrrly stuff

or I could be talking bobbins

im having a dilema at the moment, my 140mm AMbike is great for most things

but I cant help thinking that something in 160mm would be better for gravity enduro- as much as anything my32mm stanchions are definately a bit flexy and certainly for the megavalanche next year

timbo678
    Free Member

Cube stereo 160 mm – so far does everything though I haven’t hit Cwmcarn DH on it yet (will be soon) I am confident it will be up to the task though. The main difference is that its carbon so light enough for XC duties.

It has talas and the CTD function so you can almost lock it out. My main issue re the DH side of things is how the 34’s cope with flexing but we will see..hit some reasonable jumps and drops with no issues yet

butterbean
    Free Member

Im noticing a theme here ……… carbon seems to be the key, lighter for xc, stiffer for gnarrrrrly stuff

Generally I would agree. I normally ride an Enduro S-Works with a few trick bits that’s pretty much 26lbs, which I use for everything. It’s done 2 EWS’s, most of the UKGE, The Mega, MOH & a couple of Maxi’s, yet i’ll happily throw my leg over it for an after work blast round Swinley on the way home.

Of course it’s not as quick as a 20lb carbon 29″ HT, but the difference isn’t as great as people think & the same goes the other way. I do still race the odd DH event on it & i’m just as quick on most stuff. It can get a bit wild on the rougher stuff, but you just hang on.

Carbon (not just for the frame) does mean you get the weight down, without making it a floppy, wet noodle to ride. That being said, carbon does have it’s down sides. My bike is visually wrecked after nearly a season’s racing on it. Structually it’s fine, it just looks a mess.

wrecker
    Free Member

A 140 rear 150/160 front may be a better compromise? I have a LTc with 36 Floats and don’t want for any more/less bike on most stuff (but then I don’t race)
    160mm bikes vary greatly in terms of the broad spectrum of “AM”. Alpine 160 and Covert being at the bigger end of the scale.
    Perhaps something in the middle? Trek remedy, Bronson, stumpy evo or SB66?
    As kimbers said, get carbon if you can.

vikingboy
    Free Member

Having had a 160mm spicy and money no object carbon everything s-works enduro, IMHO, yes they are too much for local XC trails, even built light the geometry and suspension just makes for something far less optimal than a XC bike.
    Building them up with stronger components and pretending they are DH bikes doesn’t cut it either. yes you can ride down Cwmcarn on one, but try riding down Cwmcarn FAST on one and you’ll find their limits way before you would on a bigger bike.
    The one place they aren’t a compromise is places like the Alps for tracks like the Megavalanche.
    Yes you can compromise on to riding one bike everywhere, but it ill be exactly that, a compromise.

traildog
    Free Member

In a sense a master at none, in that I won’t be winning any XC or marathon races on my 160 machine and I won’t be winning any downhill races on it either. But the point is I could ride them both on the 160 machine. I’ve a Nukeproof mega and even on lesser terrain I enjoy riding it because it’s just plain good fun. I’ve even done some big epic all day rides over 60 miles on it.

Northwind

Duane… – Member

Jack of all trades, master of none. No getting away from it.

Don’t really agree tbh, there’s not a better tool for a lot of the trails around here.

superfli
    Free Member

There is a fairly new type of race for these machines – Gravity Enduro. This is where they are masters, so master of none is not applicable.
    Try and use an XC “master” bike for DH and it wont be any good at all. Try and use a DH “master” bike for XC and it wont be any good (in fact it would be a nightmare!).
    However, the Enduro bike wont be too bad at either discipline (wont get anywhere near the front either, but thats besides the point) and will excel at Enduro.

32mm stanchions wont cut it, yuo’ll need at least 34mm for the stiffness. I’d try and get carbon too if I had the money and some carbon components, you’ll appreciated the weight saving with no loss in strength. If my Heckler were 5lb lighter, with the burly components, I’d think it perfect for me. It only gets out of depth on really rooty/rocky/steep DH trails that I try to ride quickly (this is where you will have to accept defeat) – weight may not help me here, but it will help on any XC rides or Enduro races.

Saying that, I will always have a HT for winter and less maintenance reasons.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m pretty happy with 160mm front 150mm back on my Voltage, does everything I’ve needed it to do so far! Bit heavy for pedalling on but it can still be done, would be better if I had a full length dropper and 1×10 really. Mind you I’m the kind of rider who doesn’t mind lugging a bit extra up to the top if it makes the descent more fun.

prawny

My next bike will almost definitely be 160mm FS. I ride cannock almost exclusively but even round some parts of the dog I’m pushing my xc FS harder than it wants to go.

I’ll just be putting some lighter parts on where I can get away with it so it doesn’t weigh too much. Won’t be able to afford carbon unfortunately.

badllama
    Free Member

I’m running a Spesh Enduro 2011 and with the adjustable forks 140 – 160mm it’s spot on when riding trail, commute! and xc then keep to 140mm riding any rough stuff up to 160mm 🙂

BUT If I had to stick to one size of fork I’d go for just a 140mm as the 160 gets a bit much for normal trail riding.

Riding 160mm on boards get very interesting 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes for the trails but what about the extremes? It’s always a comprimise

Northwind

For the extremes I switch to a shark cage.

dan45a
    Free Member

Rosss – Let me assure you that a do it all 160mm bike is the way to go, i changed from 2 bikes to 1 about 3 months ago and havent looked back.

I’m on a 2013 spesh enduro built up at 29lbs with fox 36’s.

Raced Gravity enduro last weekend, then a 52 mile chairty cycle trail ride saturday, last night did a 15km loop with 600M of tough climbing and 2 super techy DH descents that would not have been enjoyble on a 5″ trail bike(i know from expierince). This weekend I’ll be hitting afan for just trail centre stuff.

For uplift days and alp holidays I have a tougher set of wheels with my 2.5 super tacky tyres fitted which give i the grip and stiffnes need to hold difficult lines.

These new 160mm bikes really do it all. Go for it! 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What I’ve found is that unless the trail is the same all the way, such as a pure DH track or a flat singletrack, then any bike is always a compromise at some point in the ride. What if I want to huck something while on an xc ride? I used to be stuck.

What I now do is ride with 2 ‘bike porters’™. We take a DH bike, 160mm and 120mm bike out with us and I select the best bike for the next section of trail or feature.

This ensures I always get my best possible time on the next upcoming Strava segment and I’m always the quickest in the group.

Northwind

160mm is a statement of intent rather than an actual measurement, if you ask me… My “160mm” bike has only 120mm of rear travel but it does the same job as an Alpine or a 170mm Wicked. (I’ve run it 160mm both ends, didn’t like it) Then you get your GT Forces and the like which have 160mm travel and have no idea what to do with it, and end up less capable allround than a 140mm Pitch.

maxtorque

I have one bike that thinks it’s three bikes……….

The key to an good all-rounder at 160mm is, unfortunately, to spend a lot of money on it. A high spec carbon 160mm bike (lots to choose from) will be well under 30lbs and capable of doing pretty much anything the rider would choose to do. The biggest compromise imo is simply wheels and tyres, but having a spare “xc” lightweight set and a HD set really helps. Likewise with the suspension, fit an shock/fork with a lot of adjustability (i have a canecreek dbair) and i can turn my 160mm squishy thing into practically a hardtail with a turn of a few knobs and a couple of pumps of the shockpump etc.

Finally, i don’t really see how “too much bike” matters? As long as it moves when you pedal, surely it’s fine?

peterfile
    Free Member

This thread is bananas.

I actually can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading, which is impressive, even by STW standards 🙂

wl
    Free Member

New Orange Alpine is all you need. A significant improvement on an already great bike. Mag review a month or so back.

cookeaa

Travel figures mean very little on their own, I mean a 160mm bike would have been considered “DH use only” in the not too distant past…

Is it enough for trundling down an Alp or a Welsh hill side? Yes, of course it is, people still do such things on Hardtails FFS, anything more is a luxury…

Will you be able to pedal it up? Probably, Sub 32lb air sprung, lockout / wind down gubbins means a far smaller dose of MTFU is required to operate a modern ego chariot than those of 8-10 years ago…

Focus more on the geometry, weight and handling. The travel is an almost incidental figure you can go +/-20mm from that 160mm, if the bike is Right you won’t care about spec sheet numbers…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Finally, i don’t really see how “too much bike” matters? As long as it moves when you pedal, surely it’s fine?

That’s exactly what I said to my DH bike porter. You should hear him bitch on the big climbs on all day ride though!

Northwind

maxtorque – Member

Mmm. Sometimes, trails just get a bit dull the more capable a bike is (not always possible to fix that just by going faster, and in any case, going faster means the ride’s over sooner)

And sometimes it’s just annoyingly hard work! Especially with big sticky tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘160mm – Master of none?’ is closed to new replies.