Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 160mm forks on Nomad 4
  • pc2017
    Free Member

Looks like my Nomad 4 frame is arriving at the end of the month and my aim was to re-use as many parts as possible from my current Bronson. I have a set of 36 Float Factory forks on that, do you think they would be OK on the 170mm N4 frame?

Also can the travel be adjusted on the 36 forks if needed, they are a 2016 model.

Thanks

slickandslide
    Free Member

You can increase them to 170mm travel if you want. It does need a few parts but that would be what I would do.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have 180mm on my nomad 3 and it suits it much better than the 160mm I previously had on it. I wouldn’t want to go back to 160.

I vaguely remember something about there being two versions of the 2016 36’s. I bought mine set at 180mm and i believe they could be reduced down to 160mm.
    The 160mm version could be adjusted from about 110mm – 160mm. Don’t quote me on it though as its been a couple of years since i bought them.

submarined
    Free Member

You can increase them to 170mm travel if you want. It does need a few parts but that would be what I would do

Not necessarily true I’m afraid.
    There were two travel lengths available of the ’16 36 -a 180 and a 160. All can be reduced easily in 10mm increments with the addition of some travel spacers, but increasing a 160 requires a large amount of replacement parts that likely isn’t financially viable.
    If your forks came as 160 then it’s likely they are the shorter travel versions. If they came as 170/180 they’ll be the longer ones.

chiefgrooveguru

You could use a headset with more lower cut stack height to keep the geometry the same as with a 170mm fork. I have a spare Cane Creek angleset which I used for a similar reason on my ZS44/56 hardtail (though I’ve since lengthened the fork and reverted to a straight headset).

slickandslide
    Free Member

There were two travel lengths available of the ’16 36 -a 180 and a 160. All can be reduced easily in 10mm increments with the addition of some travel spacers, but increasing a 160 requires a large amount of replacement parts that likely isn’t financially viable.
    If your forks came as 160 then it’s likely they are the shorter travel versions. If they came as 170/180 they’ll be the longer ones.

Thats why I said it needed a few parts. It needs a airspring and a damper tube. Neither will break the bank and to say its not economically viable is definitely not true, mojo themselves even offer the travel increase.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You sure it’s just the damper tube? IIRC its a whole new compression unit on the RHS leg that needs replacing.

slickandslide
    Free Member

You sure it’s just the damper tube? IIRC its a whole new compression unit on the RHS leg that needs replacing.

I am 100% sure, I have done the mod on countless 36’s. The outer damper tube on a 170 36 is longer than on a 160mm one, thats the only difference on the damper side.

submarined
    Free Member

If you have to replace the outer damper tube don’t you presumable have to strip and rebuild the damper? As most people aren’t that happy doing it themselves then surely that’s at least £100 in labor? Ok, everything’s relative, but my point was it’s not a cheap change. Well, £100+ isn’t cheap in my book, anyways. Obviously this is slightly negated if you’re putting them in for a service, but I’m guessing the damper tube isn’t pennies? How much are the other bits?
    Not trying to be argumentative, it’s just I’d been told but quite a few people that if you had the shorter ones it was often cheaper just to sell yours and buy another SH set!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘160mm forks on Nomad 4’ is closed to new replies.