Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 160mm forks
  • gnusmas

I bought some 160mm forks on the foresight that i would get an all mountain frame but at the moment it doesn’t look like i will get one in the near future. I put my 100mm forks on my wife’s bike and put my 160mm forks on my Coyote HT5 (100mm travel frame).

I have ridden with these forks for a couple of months now and all seems good apart from standover height reduced and uphill a bit more of a struggle and a noticeable change in geometry but are there any reasons i shouldn’t keep this fork on this frame?

Special_ized_Jamie

Whats the max travel recommended on that frame?

I would have thought the head tube is going to be under a lot more stress than it was designed for and therefore more likely to snap/crack.

gnusmas

max travel is 100mm which is what i had originally but my wife bought her first ever frame and i had these forks already so i put my 100mm forks on her frame and put these on mine to save money

reggiegasket
    Free Member

stick to the canal towpath and you’ll be fine.

It will be fine until it isn’t fine. Then it might be bad. It’s up to you and how hard you ride.

gnusmas

aint no canals round here, plenty of nant yr arian and brechfa though 8)
    hence why i started wandering, will this be ok??????

racing_ralph
    Free Member

you will most probably break your bike and teeth

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Depends on how strong your bike’s head tube joins are…

the_lecht_rocks

troll feeding alert, surely ?

elaineanne
    Free Member

hmmmm i wouldnt do that if i were you ! how come ya not getting All Mountain frame then…
    160 forks to big for your coyote frame (i just hope you dont get too injured !!!!

glenh
    Free Member

Might be fine. Might not. Depends how fat you are.

gnusmas

no fundage left for frame unfortunately 🙁

sorted my wifes bike out completely aiming to get a full sus frame myself but these things called bills and household expenses keep getting in the way

i will get one just not as soon as i had hoped.

head tube joins look good, no damage but no bracing either – have owned the frame from new so i know all of its history.

guess i will have to look out for the troll next time i cross the bridge in Nant then lol 8)

gnusmas

glenh – my wife calls me cuddly i would say i am more well rounded

singlespeedstu

Maybe you should fit an adjustable fork as 122 is best for Nant y and 123 is best for Brechfa red. Though if you’re doing Brecfha black you’ll need 164 on a hardtail or 165 on a full on freemince sled.

gnusmas

i had originally opted for an adjustable fork but these were at a v good price at the right time (in hindsight the wrong time) so stuck with these, put em up for a swap/part ex a few weeks back for an adjustable fork but no replies so guess i am stuck with them – even had to get new wheels (wife had mine) and these forks are 20mm so good excuse

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Where do I get a freemince sled? They sound FREAKING AWESOME.

singlespeedstu

There’s loads of fullonawsome freemince sleds up for grabs at very reasonable prices at
    freemincesledsforsaleatreasonableprices.com

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘160mm forks’ is closed to new replies.