Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 160mm fork new (old model) sale options
  • mint5auce
    Free Member

Looking at a couple of new (old model) forks to upgrade the MoCo dampened Pike air’s on my Marin Wolf ridge (2009, 6.8 model).
    Whilst the Pikes are 140mm, the top of the range bike came with 160mm Lyriks, so that seemed like a great option, for a bit more travel and more importantly the MiCo dampening, so hopefully less packing down through rock gardens, which is something the Pikes suffer from.

Tried swapping in a Rev (150mm and still 20mm axle but still MoCo), really noticed the loss of stiffness the Pike offered and didn’t like it, So came back to the Lyrik idea.

I’ve seen a 2009 2 step at £399 (MiCo, but pre dual flow rebound), but I know these older 2 steps had a reputation for failing. Also seen 2010 and 2011 Totems for £399 / £450 respectively (Could use all travel spacers to reduce from 180mm to 160mm and would have dual flow rebound).

So what’s the best option?
    -Older Lyrik, and hope the 2 step is ok. Maybe upgrade the rebound damper in the future?
    -Totem and travel reduce them, but whilst the Wolf ridge is a chunky frame, 40mm stanchions will look OTT
    -2nd hand prices for these sorts of forks: Lyrik, Float 36, Marz 55 aren’t that far off the price of these two new options, and have the piece of mind that they haven’t been abused…
    -Dual flow rebound upgrade the Pikes. People seem to have done this and posted on the internet, but when I phoned LoCo to buy the damper, they told me I shouldn’t (couldn’t) do it, as the bottom of my older MoCo unit would run too close to the top of the new rebound unit (designed for 150mm Revs or Reba 29’ers). (Was tempted to buy it anyway and if it really didn’t fit then just stick it in the Rev’s (2010, so also not dual flow).

Any input welcome..

geetee1972
    Free Member

The totems will be hugely overkill and they weigh over 3kg compared to 2.2kg for the air Lyrik. I’m also not sure you can space the totem down. I know you can have the coil version modified to reduce travel but it needs to be done by TF Tuned as it involves cutting the stanchions down.

Why not look at the XFusion Vengeance. You can get the RC model for about the same as a second hand Lyrik and the HLR is around £650 new.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

where dis you see the lyrik for that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mint5auce
    Free Member

@geetee:
    XFusion Vengeance, is an interesting suggestion, seen a little in the mags about them, but know very little in real life. However, having done a very quick internet search cant’ see any sale opptions, so looking at full(ish) prices, the RC appears to be £550, and HLR £650, so a significant step up price wise to what I’d mentioned, which would bring in quite a few other options to those 3.

Not trying to defend the Totem idea(I was being slightly whimsical), but the weight isn’t nearly as much as you suggested:
    Current 2009 Pike 426 UTurn air: 2400 grams
    2009 Lyrik 2 step solo air: 2504 grams
    2011 Totem RC2 DH solo air: 2627 grams

So really not that much in it weight wise, mainly because the Pikes are so portly. But with that, they are very stiff. Current equivalent is the Rev and as I said putting my Rev’s on really ruined the bike.

@Rob
    Winstanleys. But don’t buy them all before I make my mind up! 😉

Before xmas they had some 2011 ones for £500 but they went quicker, I guess mainly due to the 2009 2steps terrible reputation…

kendo954
    Free Member

the 140 09 wolfridge came with pikes?

they didnt come with 160 forks until 2010 when the rear went to 150

any frame warranty will be void as they wont cover it if you put 160 on a 140 frame (told by a marin dealer)

mint5auce
    Free Member

@kendo
    Marin 2009 Quad trail 140 range:
    2009 Attack trail
    http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3936-1F

It’s a 3 year old bike I’ve owned from new, any warranty protection worries have long since passed! (with the exception of the life time bearing replacement, well I think I can hack replacing my own bearings 😀 )

I’ve seen loads with Fox 36 / Lyriks on, can’t be that much of an issue.

hairyscary

I would not put the 2-step Lyriks on…..unless you convert it to u-turn.
    I have a set of 2010 mico u-turns fitted to my Wolfridge and rarely run it more than 140mm. The damping is the improvement, not the extra travel.

mint5auce
    Free Member

Humm, defiantly agree with the damping improvement being the reason to change anything, hence trying the Black Box MoCo Rev, and enquiry over getting the Dual flow rebound fitted in the Pike.
    But surely if the 160 Lyrik was good enough for Marin on the 2009 Attack trail model, it can’t ride that badly at 160? It’s the same frame.

Do you never wind them out to 160 hairyscary? I only use the bike for more gravity orientated rides, as even in stock form, it’s over kill for most British trail centre riding! Moreover, on that sort of riding, the Pike is just fine as it is (trail centre stuff)

jam-bo

Two step rapidly becomes one step. I’ve converted mine to uturn coil for about £70.

Coil Totems can be spaced down to 160mm but they are seriuosly heavy forks.

_tom_
    Free Member

Plugging this everywhere but I have a 2009 55 RC3 for sale, feels nice I just have no bike for it now!

superfli
    Free Member

I would suggest something with travel adjust. Its a pretty slack angled frame anyway, let alone with 160s on it. My mate has a Wolf Ridge and has Talas 160s on it. Ride uphill on full travel and it does wander a fair bit – far, far more than my Heckler with Vengeance HLRs on – and these are more like 170 fork length (A2C is 10mm more than 160 fork)

PJM1974
    Free Member

any frame warranty will be void as they wont cover it if you put 160 on a 140 frame (told by a marin dealer)

That contradicts what my Marin dealer told me and also Marin UK’s response to a reader who wrote to MBUK a couple of years back with the same question. The 2009 Attack Trail – a rare beast – was supplied with 160mm Lyriks and a Hammerschidt.

I too run a Wolf Ridge and I’ve paired it with secondhand Wotans for the past two and a half years. They work well together, the Wotan is extremely stiff and very easy to DIY service.

Travel adjust is a desirable feature though.

mint5auce
    Free Member

@jam bo
    That was my worry about 09 2steps, heard loads of bad stuff about them on the internet. Having said that the only person I actually know who owns some absolutely loves them! So they weren’t all dodgy, any other 09 2step owners with a good experience to tell us about!?

@tom
    I could be interested. Don’t know much about newer Marzocchi’s (last pair I had were some Z2’s!), how much do you want? What’s their weight? Can’t be much heavier than what has been mentioned..

hairyscary

Do you never wind them out to 160 hairyscary? I only use the bike for more gravity orientated rides, as even in stock form, it’s over kill for most British trail centre riding! Moreover, on that sort of riding, the Pike is just fine as it is (trail centre stuff)

I can’t remember the last time I did. I don’t take it on any dedicated DH stuff, but do a lot of my riding in the Scottish hills.
    The 2 step would be frustrating as it would be….not quite enough or a little bit too much.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not sure on the weight but I know they’re not the Ti spring version. They were much lighter than the old Boxxer WC they replaced anyway 🙂 Looking for about £275 posted. Some light damage to the paint on the lowers/arch but stanchions fine and no leaks etc.

/hijack

edit – this is the ones, 2800g

Northwind

2-step is pish. It’s a shame as the air sprung lyriks are really pretty nice, surprisingly coiley. My 2-step was ace, it blew up in the box before it was ever fitted, then it blew up again after it was warrantied.

So I put a spring in it, and it’s completely brilliant. Really like the Mico damper especially once the lockout’s removed. I ended up having to replace my old Boxxers because the Lyriks made them feel ancient.

matt1986
    Free Member

I’d look at the x fusion vengeance as well. They get rated as good as fox and a lot cheaper

kendo954
    Free Member

i stand corrected!

i had the 6.9 with 140 pikes

strange they put 160 on the 6.8 – even stranger a dealer not knowing!

mint5auce
    Free Member

No worries.
    But that’s still not quite what we said.

The 2009 Attack Trail – a rare beast – was supplied with 160mm Lyriks and a Hammerschidt.

All the 2009 Quad 2 140’s got the same frame, with the exception of the Attack trail having a ISCG tabs and intergrated headset. Then it went: 6.9 got at 454 Air Pike, 6.8 got a 426 Air Pike, 6.7 409 Coil Pike

BrickMan

Another vote for Wotan’s if you can find any! They are an amazing fork, parts can sometimes be slow to get as Magura don’t really have a presence in the UK anymore.

LoCo
    Free Member

The dual flow unit does work in the pikes if you have the current model, the older one is the one we don’t recommend, I think I may have spoken to you a while ago as the newer one has been available for a while now, and we’ve done quite a few of these mods on the Pike in the last few months 😀

mint5auce
    Free Member

Well that’s the problem solved! Gone full circle! 🙂
    Erm wasn’t that long ago, May of last year..
    I’ll give you a call tomorrow when I get out of work, they still £65 + p&p?
    Thanks!

mint5auce
    Free Member

Just ordered 2 sets of dual flow rebound dampers from LoCo, one for the Pike and one for the Rev, still cheaper than buying a new fork!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘160mm fork new (old model) sale options’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts