Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 160mm air forks
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Considering swapping the 150mm Sektors on my Pitch for a set of larger-stanchioned 160mm forks but would like to keep air for adjustability.

Only problem is that there’s not many 1 1/8″ forks of that genre out there, even used. It looks like my options are:
    Lyrik Solo Airs – around £300 used for 2009/2010 models
    Fox Float 36 – around £350 used for 2010ish models
    Marzocchi 55CR – £450 new from CRC

All are around the same weight I believe. Oh, and they need to be black… 😉

Thoughts?

gonzy
    Free Member

i have a pair of 55cr’s. i’ve had them for a year and havent been able to fault them yet…super plush and stiff. just be aware that you’ve specified a 160mm fork and these are neither. out of the box they are 170mm but fitting the supplied spacer drops them down to 150mm. the 55r is 160mm but its a coil fork.
    TBH you wont notice the extra 10mm so if you buy them leave them at 170mm and you’ll be fine.
    the 55cr weighs in at 4.9lb so is pretty light for a big beefy fork, and it comes with marzocchi’s 3 year no service warranty.
    it also looks very bling with its black lowers and gold stanchions.
    if you want to go lower CRC are selling the 55 RC3 Evo V2 Ti fork for £509…its in white so if colour isnt that big an issue then these would be a better deal.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Yes, I did see that the 55CR are 170mm – was planning to machine a custom travel spacer to take them to 160mm (don’t want to invalidate the frame warranty!). Good to know they ride nicely though, cheers.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was in the same dilemma last year. I got a new frame with a tapered head tube.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I sold my pitch so i could have new pikes as they are tapered

limkilde
    Free Member
    nodrog2
    Free Member

Been very impressed with the X-Fusion Slant so far. Only done a couple of rides on them but they’re light, stiff and well controlled for not a lot of money (got mine at trade so even more of a bargain). Previously had Coil Lyriks which were also great but heavy.

Edit-missed the bit about 1 1/8th inch steerer.

mildred

Marzocchi 55cr at £399:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/60526/Marzocchi_55_CR_2014_Forks

They come with an internal spacer to get them down to 150mm travel. I’m told thy the axle-crown is pretty much the same as most 160mm forks.

Winstanleys are also a decent shop to deal with.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for 55CRs, if this weather ever lets up, mine will have a proper workout soon.

As for the spacer, Windwave say that there may be a 10mm in the works soon…I couldn’t wait so I simply took a small saw to mine and lopped 10mm out of them before supergluing the ends back together and filing off any swarf. I now have 160mm CRs with no other issues to report.

notnormal
    Free Member

Idiotdogbrain, I have a set of fox float 36 rc2 160 black lowers (afew usual marks) with perfect condition stations
    Want to change to a slightly lighter weight 140 in white as it’d be more suited to what I need

If your interested mail me :

tom79 (at) me . com

Looking in the region of £300

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Cheers for the input (and offer of forks – will email you over the weekend), given me stuff to think about 🙂

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If I couldn’t stretch to Pikes then I would buy Slants

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m14b138s579p2177&rs=gb&vid=9816&gclid=CLWStrLP3bwCFWjKtAod9TYA4Q

EDIT I’m an idiot on 1-1/8 option

kevin1911

I will soon (i.e. tomorrow!) have a set of Fox 36 TALAS RC2’s for sale. Think they’re a 2008, but were only ever used for commuting 1.5 miles each way to the previous owners work. I gave them a fresh set of seals and oil a few months ago, and they were absolutely immaculate inside – almost surgically clean!

Only problem is – they are that sort of blue/grey that Fox did for a while. Looking for £225 posted.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘160mm air forks’ is closed to new replies.