Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • £1600 audio ethernet cable
  • chvck
    Free Member

http://www.chord.co.uk/blog/new-chord-ethernet-cables/

Is this for real?! My 1’s, they simply aren’t 1 enough for me.

johndoh
    Free Member

Some mugs actually fork out for this stuff too.

wwaswas

MrWoppit to the thread! MrWoppit to the thread!

IHN

Put the Indigo Tuned ARAY Ethernet cable onto the streamer and this track comes to life

ahem 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Are they directional.?

wwaswas

I love the way it can make the 1’s and 0’s betterer even after they’ve been on a journey of electrical discovery through your ring main.

Hohum
    Free Member

Each to their own I say.

RustySpanner

Does it sound better if you pour soup over your head and don’t wash for six months?

midlifecrashes

There’s a £5000 WATCH thread down there! VVVV

klumpy
    Free Member

every (other) Ethernet cable we tested and listened to also worked better in one direction than the other

Really? Must try turning the cable round at home to speed up my broadband.

Pieface

Have the 1s and 0s really gone through the ring main? Surely once the electric fairies have been filtered through your gold contacted, filtered UPS they’re only travelling between the source and your ears?

wwaswas

Pieface, this bit;

This difference was noticeable regardless of whether we were running the cable directly to a router or via a pre-installed Ethernet cable network or a system where the Ethernet signal is carried over the mains.

tomhoward

Each to their own I suppose, I hear there are some people that think spunking a ton of money on a push bike is a little silly

andysredmini
    Free Member

I was looking for some speaker cable a few weeks ago and found a 10m pair that cost £114,000.00 on Amazon. I cant find them any more but they have the same ones in a shorter 7m length at the bargain price of £75,905.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest-Signature-Terminated-Speaker-Cable/dp/B00DBY5OIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394207924&sr=1-1&keywords=AUDIOQUEST

I had an email from Amazon a few days ago asking if I was still looking for a pair. I don’t think so at that price.

Audioquest also do ridiculously expensive cables for other applications

Andy

AlexSimon

Phew – finally!

ransos
    Free Member

Each to their own I suppose, I hear there are some people that think spunking a ton of money on a push bike is a little silly

Well it is, but at least bikes have measurable differences such as weight and suspension travel.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Someone (cough) has just commented- have a look before they take it down!!!

(titter)

AlexSimon

Might be that you can see it, but it hasn’t been moderated yet – no comments on there for me.

Harry_the_Spider

Someone (cough) has just commented- have a look before they take it down!!!

Very good. 😀

I was looking for some speaker cable a few weeks ago and found a 10m pair that cost £114,000.00 on Amazon. I cant find them any more but they have the same ones in a shorter 7m length at the bargain price of £75,905.00

There’s a technique business sometimes use when trading on Amazon to undercut competitors on low margin products. Everyone is monitoring everyone else’s prices so if you let yours drift up your competitors may follow you. You then drop the price suddenly which in theory gives you a bigger market share for a short while and makes you more popular on Amazon rankings.

There is software that does this for you – could be that someone’s software got it wrong!

lemonysam
    Free Member

There is software that does this for you – could be that someone’s software got it wrong!

Alternatively, if you’ve got stuff on there that’s out of stock but don’t want to de-list it, jack up the price high enough to stop anyone buying it. They may have not lowered it again.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is the hi-fi business really is the last bastion of the troll, or do these people have genuine learning difficulties?

dmorts

The root of the problem is that there is no easy way to assess absolute sound quality, it’s very subjective. This Audiophile nonsense is very much like the Emperor’s Clothes, e.g.

Timing and coherence are the two really easy differences to hear, but like other interconnects it’s simple to spot the differences in levels of detail, tonal quality and dynamic performance.

i.e. If you can’t hear the difference you’re a moron.

clubber
    Free Member

Double blind test, anyone? Disappointed that Woppit hasn’t been along yet 🙂

bigjim

I’m in the wrong business.

Cougar

Are they directional.?

Yes!

Is the hi-fi business really is the last bastion of the troll, or do these people have genuine learning difficulties?

If someone’s daft enough to buy it, someone else will sell it.

CountZero

i.e. If you can’t hear the difference you’re a moron.

Quite.
    Some audio types* seriously maintained that wearing a digital watch while listening to a high-end system could degrade the sound quality, because it was an un-driven transducer.
    Or on the wrong wrist, or just voodoo.
    Usually Linn/Naim owners… 😉

RustySpanner

IanMunro – Member

Coming after 650b, that’s really amused me.

Cougar

It’s hard to know where to start on that write-up.

I guess the crux is, it’s a digital cable so either what goes in is what comes out, or it isn’t. So the question then becomes, does (regular) Ethernet have sufficient bandwidth to transmit your audio data reliably?

CD quality audio clocks in at about 320Kbps. For lossless audio, you’re in the realms of let’s say 1.5Mbps to be generous. We’ll skip over the fact that most people are unlikely to be able to tell the difference much beyond 320Kbps and just roll with this.

Regular CAT5e is rated to 1000BASE-T; that’s 1000Mbps over 100m. That’s over six hundred times your required data rate for lossless audio.

So can regular Ethernet transmit lossless audio to an acceptable standard? I rather think it can. Hell, shitty old 20th Century 802.11b wireless is 11Mbps, even if you halve that to allow for CSMA/CA overheads you’re still golden.

Conclusion 1: You don’t need a £1600 cable.

Conclusion 2: You don’t need a cable.

Conclusion 3: What a large set of hairy bollocks.

ton

I sell Ethernet cables for pence.

johndoh
    Free Member

Do hairy bollocks make good cables?

Cougar

Only if you use twisted pairs.

pb2

Cougar – Moderator

Top marks for that — I doff my hat to your wit 😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I heard the £1600 cables conduct so well that if you snip a couple of little bits off and attach 1 to your shifter and 1 to your derailleur (after removing the conventional gear cable) you have Di2… apparently the sweat from your thumb forms a crude battery, which is sufficient to power the system… being as it only takes about an inch an end, with a metre of cable, you’re quids in.

The £75k ones can actually be used to create free, clean energy for a small town, but they can’t market them as such for fear of the formidable power of the oil industry.

MrNutt
    Free Member

pfft. nordorst valhalla here.

slowoldman

Home made interconnects here. Belden cable, Neutrik Profi connectors.

Oh, Ethernet? That would be cat 5e nicked from work.

somafunk

CD quality audio reproduction at the standard sample rate of 44.1 kHz and 16bit sample rate gives 1411Kbps, from what has been drummed into me that’s 2 (# audio channels) × 44100 samples/sec x 16 bits/sample = 1,411.2 kbit of information per second, rather more than 320Kpbs.

Whether or not such an expensive cable makes a difference when it comes to transference of that binary data down a cable may be a mute point, especially when we take into account CIRC encoding and error correction along with the DAC that ultimately decodes the digital signal so your loudspeakers can make a suitable pleasing noise to your ears.

Everyones ears are different but 99.9% of folk would notice a vast improvement in sound quality if they spent a few £ on room acoustic treatment rather than on that fancy expensive cable.

CountZero

Cougar – Moderator

Cougar

1,411.2 kbit of information

… which is the 1.5Mbps I quoted earlier. (-:

somafunk

CD quality audio clocks in at about 320Kbps

Ah, I read that as you meant CD quality is 320kbps rather than 1411 Kbps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘£1600 audio ethernet cable’ is closed to new replies.