Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 16 month old fussy eater – Singletrack Dadsnet
  • richardkennerley

After hints, tips, advice from singletrack mums and dads.

Or 16 month old daughter has become quite fussy and awkward at feeding time. She can be reluctant to try new stuff and most of the time stuff goes in then straight back out again. She sometimes has a few mouthfuls of something, a kiddie meal for example, but then suddenly decides she doesn’t want it and won’t eat more. We let her pick at stuff and have a go feeding herself with a spoon which she has a good go at, but not much makes it to her mouth! Some days she really doesn’t eat much at all.

Today for example, bottle of milk (not formula) on waking, portion of porridge for breakfast, maybe 8-10 mouthfuls of pasta meal at lunch, Ella’s kitchen pudding, refused baked beans for tea, few chips, yoghurt, bottle of milk at bed. That’s more or less typical.

However, when she’s at nursery (2 days a week) she eats pretty much everything they give her, including proper meals like cottage pie, sweet and sour chicken etc’.

We’re trying to be of the opinion that if she’s hungry, she will eat, but it can be quite stressful when she constantly refuses stuff; and it can be quite wasteful of course. She is otherwise healthy and happy, growing etc’. She rarely cries for food, she’s very rarely sick. Only got two teeth so far.

Anyone gone through anything similar? Any tips? When do we worry, take a different approach?

m0rk
    Free Member

‘Meal’ implies microwave?

Do they cook from scratch at nursery? It might just be nicer.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Have you read this….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/3-year-old-eating-issues-how-to-get-more-healthy-food-in

In amongst the usual there is some good advice. Although I will say we’ve seen some improvement our 3.5 year old is still a bit epic.. (I’m the OP)

salad_dodger

Taxi to the orphanage without delay.

richardkennerley

m0rk – Member
    ‘Meal’ implies microwave?

Do they cook from scratch at nursery? It might just be nicer.

Yeah they do and so do we. We try a variety of ready made things, meals that we make from scratch and a selection of what we have for ourselves.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

my dear old mum adopted the eat it or it goes on your head approach. Only carried out once but worked a treat.

That was before child-centricity took over mind

WillH

It could be that if she’d getting a solid feed in during the day she’s not so hungry in the evening? Our 21-month-old has just regressed a little. Similar to you, proper cooked meals at kindy and at home, but has become obsessed with drinking milk, pushes away food while calling for milk. We just calmly say no, and offer him proper food every time he wants milk. Often if we just leave him for a few minutes (on his own at the table if necessary) he’ll pull back the bowl he’s pushed away and start eating, once he’s realised he’s not getting what he wants.

crankboy
    Free Member

I think there’s a point when they are supposed to be fussy eaters from an evolutionary point of view. It stops them eating all the random stuff they start picking up as they become mobile.

Its just a phase , try not to worry and avoid making it an issue , if he/she is eating plenty at nursery all is good.

cp

My boy is 15 months, and the op sounds very familiar… And from what I understand entirely normal. Sounds from your description actually that she eats more than my boy does!

We offer it… Sometimes he troughs it, sometimes he picks a bit, sometimes he just says no. I think trying to force it down them just makes them worse and you end up in a power struggle. So if he doesn’t eat anything… that’s it until next meal or snack time.

Cougar

If she’s eating a few mouthfuls and then refusing, at least she’s trying. You need to reward that rather than get frustrated with her for not eating any more. Maybe introduce new food as “here’s a spoonful of something new, once you’ve had that you can have a big pile what you like”?

16 months is very young. I’d respectfully suggest that the worst thing you can do is make a big deal of it. Further reading:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fixing-a-weird-relationship-with-food

Cougar

my dear old mum adopted the eat it or it goes on your head approach. Only carried out once but worked a treat.

Great idea. OP, have you considered child abuse and traumatising them for life?

OwenP

We’ve got a 16 month old – first thought was that your description of a “normal” day of eating today at home isn’t that far off ours – how much more are you thinking she should be eating? New stuff, yeah it does seem to take a while. I probably only introduce something new maybe twice a week and a fair bit fails to impress her (unless it’s cake-based, but I can’t count that!)

My experience of nursery feedback of how much they’ve eaten can be variable too. Their view of “eaten loads today” might not be the same as yours?

We also leave her to it for a bit and expect some meals may take a while and lots will be played with or just flung! I tend to give it a good while with the thing she doesnt want to eat before I try anything else (if I’m worried she needs more, teething is putting her off, etc) and try not to just revert to the Soreen straight away, cos she loves that but I doubt it’s a good idea to raise a child on it… 🙂

I wouldn’t be particularly worried though – from what you’ve said it sounds like most of the 16 month olds I know. I suppose it’s just finding an approach that works for you and you are happy with, nutritionally.

Tallpaul

Doesn’t sound like she’s particularly fussy to me!

If she’s energetic and having normal nappies then I’m sure she getting enough food.

With ours, we adopted the philosophy that although some days he either only ate crap or ate very little, over the course of the week he ate a good variety.

Now he’s 27 months, has boundless energy and is growing inexorably.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

tinybits
    Free Member

That may be a little over the top Cougar…

I think yoo are going through what every single other parent, ever, has gone through. Don’t get stressed (you will), don’t get upset (you will) don’t, whatever you do, start swapping over meals mid way through to something they will also only eat 2 spoonfuls of (you will).
    No toddler has ever starved itself to death, they will eat when hungry. Stay relaxed, it’ll work out. Importantly, just like everything else in raising a kid, what works for you is right, don’t get stressed when other super parents tell you you’re doing it wrong!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ours went through it, she was a sod – I reckon we’d get one decent meal into her every other day if we were lucky.

Few things:

In hindsight when she wasn’t eating we’d let her graze during the day because we were glad to see her eat something, anything.

Re: Nursey, ours ate ‘most’ or ‘all’ most of the time, however turning up early now and again whilst they were eating showed it was a total bun fight (literally) and you couldn’t really say who’d eaten what and when. I read ‘all’ when I’d seen “a little bit, a bit more fed to her friend, some thrown on the table”.

She grew out of it, eats like a trooper most of the time now.

Oh and PS with 20-20 hindsight is avoid offering them more and more choices until they eat something, it will only end in snacks and sweet stuff which just makes it harder to get them to eat proper food. If they don’t want it, just leave it. No small child is daft enough to starve themselves because they’re being awkward.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

She is otherwise healthy and happy, growing etc

She is fine, as you say. Just a phase. Keep.doing what you are doing, routine etc. It will pass and good luck

duffle
    Free Member

salad_dodger – Member
    Taxi to the orphanage without delay.

/\ may not be best placed to offer advice on this…. 😆

Cougar

That may be a little over the top Cougar…

Suggesting tipping uneaten meals over the head of a 16-month old? I think I was quite restrained TBH.

simon_g

Are you matching the mealtimes that the nursery do? We had similar issues and particularly with dinner, we were doing it too late – tiredness just made it worse. Moved lunches forward to 11:15ish, and dinner to 4:45-5ish and immediate improvement.

We don’t do milk at bedtime, only first thing in the morning. And no dessert/yoghurt unless she’s finished, or at least had most of, her dinner. We have a “you don’t have to eat it, but there’s nothing else” policy. If they’re hungry, they’ll eat. I suspect that knowing a yoghurt and milk are still to come before bed allows a lot more fussiness.

Don’t go too bland with their food either, ours loves a bit of spiciness and I think by that age we were mostly making curries and the like for us just toned down a little (and without the salt – we’d add it to ours later). Their tastes change by the week though, so just because something was rejected in the past, do try it again after a little break.

grtdkad

We have three kids, the oldest two eat anything and everything, the youngest has always been super picky. Super picky.
    We thought she’d grow out of it. She’s now 12 and still pretty much the same, ultra selective / rejects most food. So she has a narrow pallet of food stuffs, eating a lot of cereal, raw peppers, carrots, chicken, cheeses, bread, fruit. Oh and occasionally mash and margarita pizza.
    She is however happy, tall, strong and very fit (top 5 in senior school sports).

So I’d say, go with the flow “she’ll grow out of it”

Kip

Fret ye not, sounds pretty normal, the nursery eating sounds familiar too. Often kids eat more when there’s others doing the same.

Kip Jr is 7 and a bit now and eats just fine but I remember worrying about it loads back then ad well. Turns out that actually, yep, kids will usually eat if they’re hungry.

Bear in mind that allowing a child to stop eating when they feel full is healthier than making them clean their plate too.

kimbers

its very stressful

but count yourself lucky, our twins are nearly 18mths, both starting to like different things, alternately go through phases of not wanting stuff, wanting to throw it around, wanting to feed themselves, wanting to hit the other one with a spoon…

Im not bothering to decorate the dining room for at least another year

Cougar

She’s now 12 and still pretty much the same, ultra selective / rejects most food. So she has a narrow pallet of food stuffs, eating a lot of cereal, raw peppers, carrots, chicken, cheeses, bread, fruit. Oh and occasionally mash and margarita pizza.

FWIW, she’s better than I was at 12.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Of all the challenges and problems you have as a parent, this is by far the easiest to fix.

They’ll anything when they’re hungry. You don’t like it that’s fine, don’t eat it. There’s nothing else.

You’ll figure out pretty quick what are the foods they genuinely won’t tolerate if you take this approach.

epicyclo

geetee1972 – Member
    …They’ll anything when they’re hungry. You don’t like it that’s fine, don’t eat it. There’s nothing else.

You’ll figure out pretty quick what are the foods they genuinely won’t tolerate if you take this approach.

That’s right. We had this problem with our first. My grandmother took a look at him and told us he’s not skinny, he’s just not hungry. A hungry kid will eat.

So don’t stress on it. Every kid goes through it. No need to over feed them or turn food into an issue.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They’ll anything when they’re hungry. You don’t like it that’s fine, don’t eat it. There’s nothing else.

This, as has been said a few times.

Eldest eats most things we do now.

Youngest is still the King of Fuss. Eats everything in sight at nursery. Pigs out at home when he feels like it. Sometimes eats nothing. Certainly isn’t starving = we’ve stopped worrying.

We do the “no desert unless a decent amount of mains” thing too, worked a treat for #1, #2 is still holding out for a diet of pure chocolate, I guess he’ll figure out it isn’t happening at some point.

I think there’s also a measure of them exerting some control in the food refusal thing, too. Sometimes just offering a choice of food – fish finger or chicken dinosaur (yeah I know, call Jamie Oliver) – might get a result because he’s focusing on which one is better, rather than yes or no.

Cougar

Of all the challenges and problems you have as a parent, this is by far the easiest to fix.

Wouldn’t have worked with me. I’d have starved to death.

richardkennerley

Thanks for all the responses, was just in need of a bit of reassurance I think. She’s still a bit young to be bargained with, but if it persists then we’ll have to follow a stricter routine.

However, after posting this, today and yesterday could not have been more different. She’s been eating like a good’un. Yesterday tea time was great, she just helped herself to everything we out in front of her!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘16 month old fussy eater – Singletrack Dadsnet’ is closed to new replies.