Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 16" bikes – Hoy vs Pinnacle
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Hoy Bonaloy – £240
    Pinnacle Koto – £180
    Spesh Hotrock – £170

Any significant difference between the Hoy and those other two? Very happy with the older kid’s Ash, so would need a reason not to go Pinnacle again or even the Hotrock. Unsure about backpedal brakes on the Spesh though – would be easier in the short term but perhaps more limiting in the long.

brassneck

Mine all went through a HotRock, and had no issues transitioning to ‘normal’ brakes – youngest started on the 16″ at 3 and has moved to a 20″ Hotrock with dual Vs at 5 without even a murmur.

You can also do MASSIVE skids on a coaster brake for some years after you’ve technically outgrown it.

Not being able to backpedal is a PITA when they throw the chain and you have to fix it with no tools mind.

jonathan
    Free Member

Weight is the big difference between the Hoy and the Pinnacle – Hoy is 6.3kg and Pinnacle is 8.75kg… so it’s actually over 5 1/2 pounds heavier, blimey. Odd as on paper their specs are very similar.

Can’t find a weight for the Hotrock, but I’d be avoiding it due to the crappy brake (coaster and rubbish looking calliper up front). It actually looks like it might be a nice shape once the stabilizers and chain guard are stripped off though.

peabrain
    Free Member

Or the 16″ form the new Raleigh Performance range – £200 and 6.48kg

peabrain
    Free Member

The Hotrock make the best bikes for Custom build 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

That Raleigh looks good, no rear guard eyelets though but that might not be an issue. Grey only though, which might 🙂

brassneck

The brakes are in no way crappy. The thinking behind the coaster is that here is more power in little legs than little hands, which seems to work out even if you spend a bit of time setting up Vs – the harsh life of a childs bike can mean even well setup ones don’t last. The calliper is perfectly adequate, but I’d prefer a mini V just for ease of removing the front wheel.
    Weight wise, I’ve never weighed it, but never had any complaints. I’d guess closer Pinnacle than Hoy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Having one brake only is crappy though – easy to lock up the back on grass and have no control at all. There’s a Merida one that has a coaster back brake but a proper front. And a seriously enduro paint job.

Vs have been excellent for little effort on both the older kid’s 12 and 20.

The Raleigh looks excellent but only comes in a grey even I’d find drab, and I am not even a four year old girl.

jonathan
    Free Member

Never had a problem with just one brake actually, but coaster brakes just don’t work if they want to do stuff where shifting pedal positions is more important, like pump tracks or little drops/steps

[video]http://vimeo.com/98669936[/video]

That said I just loved riding coaster brakes when I was a kid.. SKIIIIIIIID 🙂

woodnut
    Free Member

ridgeback mx16 are a tough and not heavy for a kids bike..

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah the getting of the pedals in the proper place would also be an issue. Proper biking is anticipated with ups and downs. The youngest looks like being a bit of a nutter on the bike.

Her favourite tricks on the tagalong are sticking her feet in the air when I go over speed bumps so she gets bounced high into the air, and leaning as far out as she can to make daddy swerve all over the path and struggle to avoid the ditch…

brassneck

Never had a problem with just one brake actually, but coaster brakes just don’t work if they want to do stuff where shifting pedal positions is more important, like pump tracks or little drops/steps

I never asked but again it never seemed to be an issue. Stopping them launching themselves off inappropriate stuff, different question.
    The front calliper is again perfectly adequate for the slightly digital nature of a 3 year olds braking, they don’t really do modulation, so not having it possible to lock on hard works quite well.

Ups are bloody hard work on child gearing. And a Gatorbar towed child with a coaster brake will find it immensely amusing to lock it on when you’re towing them up to the top of the woods. You may not after the 321351 time.

molgrips
    Free Member

The front calliper

Don’t see a front caliper on this year’s Hotrock 16, if that’s what we’re talking about still?

peabrain
    Free Member

Talking about brakes my 4 year old has actually had front v-brake only since just before he was 3. He can go down steeps and stop suddenly with no problems – the key is to get them standing on their pedals.

The Hotrock is heavy – the 12 inch version is 7.5kg so 16 is heavier. Would be a great bike if it had v-brakes instead of the coaster.

brassneck

Don’t see a front caliper on this year’s Hotrock 16, if that’s what we’re talking about still?

Ah, ignore me then. Ours has one, think I’d want one too if only to get them used to the idea of using levers.

jonathan
    Free Member

Pics I found had calliper front – hunting again I’ve found pics of the 2015 models with and without a front brake. I guess it probably depends on where they’re being sold.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah.. I wonder if I’m looking at US pics then because I’d thought it was against regs to sell with only a rear coaster.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘16" bikes – Hoy vs Pinnacle’ is closed to new replies.