Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 16 amp socket and 13 amp socket on one MCB.
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I need to put a 16 amp socket in the garage to run a tig welder. The garage currently has 1 double 13 amp socket but it is run as a spur from the downstairs ring main. I have one spare mcb in the consumer unit which is in the garage so it is very easy to wire in the 16 amp socket with a 16amp or 20 amp mcb. I was just wondering if I could put a 32amp mcb in so I could put a double 13 amp socket and the 16 amp socket run from one mcb.

I do have an electrician friend that will inspect the work when I have done it, but he is on holiday this week so thought I would ask the collective masses so I can order some parts and start running and clipping cables.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Not a problem. 32A mcb, 4mm2 cable. I would prefer if possible to put the welder/garage socket on an mcbo (combined mcb/rcd) so that any tripping doesn’t affect the house circuits. This would probably require the consumer unit to be reworked but I would need to take a look before confirming it was ok. However, not a showstopper if you can’t.
    Cable runs should be done in a way that is suitable for the environment so it may be they should be run in conduit rather than just use twin and earth pinned to the wall.
    Any questioons, just ask.
    Rich

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Cheers Rich,

Was going to put the cable run in conduit, its just a simple 1m run straight down from the consumer unit to the point I need the 16amp socket so nice and easy.

Will look at a separate consumer unit with mcb and rcd. What do you need to know to confirm if the current consumer unit needs to be rewired to allow the fitment of a second separate consumer unit.

rwamartin
    Free Member

The rcbo would go into your existing consumer unit. A phto of the consumer unit location and a picture with the consumer unit cover off would be good. Obviously being remote I can’t guarantee anything…..
    Rich

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do remember and RWA can correct me if im wrong … but most 16amp sockets/plugs are not fused.

sticking this on a 32amp MCB may not be the brightest move.

You can spend more and get a local MCB 16amp socket though.

Just a heads up – i nearly did this before laying it out and thinking about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Having just had to get an electrician in to fix the previous owners bodged electrics which peaked at an RCD without a a circuit breaker, you could have shorted it out and nothing happen untill the wires melted (not a million miles from the point trailrat identified) pay someone.

rwamartin
    Free Member

A good thought but the unfused socket isn’t a problem. The mcb is there to protect the cable and ensures it disconnects quickly enough (0.4 seconds usually). The mcb is rated less than the capacity of the cable so all is well. However, it may be a good idea to fit a rotary isolator close to the 16a outlet so the welder can be quickly disconnected and left safe.
    Rich.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I wouldn’t reccomend putting an rcd/rcbo on a circuit designated for a welder. I’d also go with a type C MCB on the consumer unit if your Ze is low enough for it to trip.

Having no RCD/rcbo on the CU does have a knock on effect on the cable needing mechanical protection (earthed too) and the 13a sockect needing an inbuilt RCD if you want to meet the regs to the letter.

rwamartin
    Free Member

dvatcmark makes a good point. Another alternative would be either split the incomers or a 40a mcb and 10mm feeding a second cu. The second cu could then have an unprotected way for the welder and an rcd or rcbo for the sockets. Type of earthing will also dictate whether an rcd is r3quired and how it is configured.
    Sorry it wasn’t a straightforward answer!

paulwf

Doesn’t it also have to be a shielded outlet if used in a residential property.
    I remember i had to have a particular type. Mine was fitted on a 20a type c MCB with 4mm cable

paulwf

This is the type that was fitted for me http://m.rapidonline.com/cables-connectors/16a-and-32a-industrial-horizontal-socket-with-isolating-switch-400389

It isn’t shielded but it can’t be switched on until a plug is inserted

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Paulwf that is the exact socket I have got. Think I will just run the 16 amp socket on its own spur from the consumer unit and let the spark worry about the best way to get more 13amp sockets into the garage at a later date. Thanks all for the advice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘16 amp socket and 13 amp socket on one MCB.’ is closed to new replies.