Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 15mm steerer extension?
  • papercutout
    Free Member

I picked up a new frame yesterday, took my bike apart, went to fit the forks in the new frame, only to discover that, despite having 25mm of spacers on the old frame, the steerer is too short. Dang.
    It’s not a lot though – the steerer comes to half way up my stem, but I need it to be inside both bolts to be comfortable!

Leaving me with several options:
    New 650b+/29er Boost fitment Yari’s
    New fork crown/steerer/stanchions (currently I can only find them for sale in the US)
    Fitting a steerer extension, which I’d chop down to fit.

It’s only 15mm afterall, can an extension really be that dangerous at that length? Got to be safer than not having it there.

More details – it’s integrated headset with a stack height of about 9mm. Truvativ Hussefelt 40mm stem. I’ve got nothing to gain here. Bear in mind it’s boost etc, so this is ultra-modern. (and frustrating)

Consensus? Bear in mind, I’ve just spent £400 on a frame, I don’t have cash to spend right now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

get a stem that’s less tall

monkeyboyjc

New forks….

VanHalen

The dmr defy and sect stems are really low stack height.

papercutout
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – can you find a 40mm length stem that’s only 25mm high? I’d be impressed.

I’m keeping a very short stem due to it being a large frame, and I’m M to L on a good day.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s only 15mm after all, can an extension really be that dangerous at that length

It’s only your face/teeth/neck…….what could go wrong?

papercutout
    Free Member

Good effort Van Halen. I think you’ve nailed it! I didn’t think anyone would make one with a stack height that low.

papercutout
    Free Member

Thanks guys, really didn’t expect there to be so many options, should have researched more first!

dhrider
    Free Member

The Ragley one on the link above is the lowest stack height stem available as far as I know.

scotroutes

Ragley Stubbing comes up regularly for this purpose.

papercutout
    Free Member

The Ragley is listed as being a 30mm stack height, DMR’s are 28mm or 31mm depending. I’ll be going DMR, just for that extra couple of millimeters.

Woodentop
    Free Member

I machined an extender from a bit of ally bar for a set of Pikes I have, 50mm deep into the steerer and 17mm extension, fitted with some liquid nitrogen and 648 Loctite
    6 month of Lakes riding and I haven’t died … yet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘15mm steerer extension?’ is closed to new replies.