• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 15mm maxle.-much benefit over a std front qr fitting?
  • hopefiendboy

Currently running a std qr on a set of 100mm travel recon gold 29er forks, would I notice much benefit upgrading to a 15mm bolt through setup?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

15mm is much better than QR. Significant improvement but strength and stiffness also come from the fork construction

Northwind

It’ll be stiffer. Question is, will you care. I went back and forth between a set of lyriks and a set of QR 130mm revelations for a long time, sure the revs were noticably far more flexy but it only took a moment to get used to it and it was never a problem, for me. But for some people it’s important.

ahwiles
    Free Member

QR forks on my hardtail, 15mm forks on my ‘other’ bike. I don’t worry about it enough to see if i can tell the difference.

i certainly wouldn’t spend any money to replace qr forks that still work just fine.

sandwicheater

I’ve QR, 15mm and 20mm on my bikes and get way more lady winks with the 15mm, fact.

scottalej
    Free Member

You wont notice any difference. How much give can a tightly clamped hub have?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

scottalej – Member
    You wont notice any difference. How much give can a tightly clamped hub have?

Having watched wheels flex around a 9mm axle on QR you can see and tell

Dickyboy

As above 15mm will be stiffer but in my experience 15mm will be heavier & with qr forks you can use either qr wheels or adapted 15mm wheels whereas not many qr wheels can’t be adapted to fit 15mm forks – either of which you might not give two figs about

hopefiendboy

Sold on the lady winks lol

dirtydog
    Free Member

If you can get adaptors for your hub (Hope?) then you could try a 9mm QR thru axle without having to upgrade your forks.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/9mm-front-qr-through-axle.htm

hammyuk
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member
    I’ve QR, 15mm and 20mm on my bikes and get way more lady winks with the 15mm, fact.

Thats the see through lycra…

iainc

on a 100mm fork, not much difference in real life

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘15mm maxle.-much benefit over a std front qr fitting?’ is closed to new replies.