Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 15mm bolt through forks, will I notice the difference
  • morebikes

I am building up a 29er lightweight hardtail, for racing and long distance stuff.
    The frame has a tapered steerer, and am looking at 100mm forks next. The question is, what difference will I notice, if any, between 9mm QR, and 15mm bolt through. Thinking of the Mavic SLR wheels, which I think will run either system.
    Any real world experience of both systems would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mafiafish
    Free Member

for a 29er I think you’d notice the difference, however, Mavic wheels are pretty stiff from my experience especially compared with crests for example. A lot of it is subjective and to some extent based on your riding style/ weight. It’s worth considering the qr forks will be a fair bit lighter but you need to factor in the weight of the qr too! I went with some 20mm rebas and havens as I wanted something dependable and analogous to how my big bike felt. Overkill for xc racing but I only do sport or no fuss style team events so is a good compromise for me.

chiefgrooveguru

I noticed quite a difference between QR and 15mm bolt thru going from 100mm QR to 140mm 15QR with a 26er. On a 29er there’s about 60mm greater length from ground to headset bottom cup for a given fork travel, so a 100mm 29er fork will be about as flexy as a 150mm 26er fork built the same way.

rocketman
    Free Member

My old QR straight steerer Revs were horrible noodly things and swapping them for the 20mm tapered steerer model improved things a lot but I still think the chassis is stretched beyond its capabilities in 26″ 150 mm guise. I can see the legs walking and flexing on obstacles.

The Domains, Recons and Pikes on my other bikes are similar spec and are fundamentally stiffer. Light forks are light for a reason imo.

messiah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t run an old skool QR on any fork if I had the choice – 15mm or 20mm for me from now on. Noodlyness is one consideration but so is snapping QR’s and having the bloody things undoing themselves.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes there is a definate difference, especially when the terrain gets rocky. Being able to hold a line better and deal with deflections is a considerable advantage.

boxfish
    Free Member

If your wheels are laterally stiff, then going to QR15 may be more noticeable.

Northwind

Depends a lot on the forks… Frinstance, it used to be that if you were talking about 15mm, you were mostly likely talking about a Fox 32, and there the difference is pretty big because the 32 chassis is a bit marginal and flexy anyway. Whereas the difference between a Revelation QR and 15mm is much smaller.

It does make sense to go to a bolt-through if you can though, there’s so little disadvantage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘15mm bolt through forks, will I notice the difference’ is closed to new replies.