Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 15g ginger…
  • number18
    Free Member

Nope, no Celtic racism here, just a cooking question.

My scales are not very good and only go up in increments of 100g. Can anyone help, I need to know what dimensions root ginger is @ 15g?

Thanks in advance!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What you cooking, thumb sized bit? maybe a little more, depends on how gingery you want it. Generally just a good bit…

number18
    Free Member

Thai style crab cakes but the ginger is to go in chilli jam I’m serving with it.

Cheers.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I have awesome scales, and ginger! Give me a moment.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You’re looking at about a 10p size spherical lump. So yeah, thumb sized is pretty good.

z1ppy

😀 STW can answer anything!

Where’s the [like] button!

Tweakie
    Free Member

Kudos for Jam’ there!

number18
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks very much!

My OH is in awe of this site. It doesn’t matter what your query is, it’s quicker than going to a forum specific to your question. If I’d have gone to a cooking forum I bet I’d be clicking refresh for an hour and still no relevant response.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You need some better scales, what do you weigh new bike bits on?

theotherjonv

Out of the box, but why not cut 100g and then cut it into six / grate 1/6 off it.

The extra 1g and uncertainty just makes it a bit more seat of the pants.

andyl
    Free Member

Out of the box, but why not cut 100g

because if the smallest measurement unit is 100g then his error could be huge.

MSP

An alternative method could be to work out the relative effects different amounts have in gingering a horse, now I know a horse may not be the ideal kitchen appliance but if your scales are so crap why not.

ste_t
    Free Member

I always struggle to fit the horse back in the cupboard once I’ve finished with it

andyl
    Free Member

I always struggle to fit the horse back in the cupboard once I’ve finished with it

cut it up and put it in the freezer

MSP

Gingering a frozen horse may not be as effective a method as using a fresh one.

jonba
    Free Member

In cooking generally everything has a density of 1g/cm3* so you need about a tablespoon which is 15m1.

*By this I mean very very very generally.

Scapegoat

In cooking generally everything has a density of 1g/cm3* so you need about a tablespoon which is 15m1.

You’ve not seen my wife’s batter puddings. Blows this theory straight out of the water…….

theotherjonv

Likewise my mother in law’s dumplings. They have their own gravitational field.

number18
    Free Member

Haha, just checked the thread again. A couple of things to note;

– I need new scales;
    – just Googled it, gingering a horse WTF!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Mother-in-law made a cake for the young fastyounggit. It was rock hard*, so we took it to the canal to feed the ducks. It was broken with some difficulty and thrown onto the water. It instantly sank. I agree with the two above.

*Trust me here, I’m a geologist.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘15g ginger…’ is closed to new replies.