Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 150mm wide 700 wheels?
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

I’m rebuilding an old steel tourer to be a singlespeed hack bike, and need new wheels. I’ve measured the width on the frame front and back and it’s 120mm and 150mm respectively.

I’ve since scoured ebay and cannot find 700 wheels with these widths.

Any one encountered a similar problem, and know a place for odd sized wheels?

Thanks.

househusband

You’d have to source hubs that are 120 and 150 and get them made up by a wheel builder – or make them yourself! It’s not that hard and is very rewarding once done.

Of course, you’d have to get the spoke length sorted… 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like you have measured the outside of the dropouts – the std measurements (100/130) are the insides.

househusband

Also possible that the hubs might be that width, no..? I thought that 150mm was an old hub width.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not that I have EVER seen on road bikes (bar tandems) working since 1988 in a few different LBS!

rossrobot
    Free Member

Definitely measured the inside.

It’s a Sonic. Have googled but can’t find any record of them. It’s a steel framed tourer, probably about twenty years old. Everything else about it seems standard.

Luckily I didn’t bin the old wheels, so might resort to giving those a onceover.

Thank you.

househusband

It is not unfeasible that the OP may have a really old tourer that uses those hub widths – a quick Google shows they were used.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘150mm wide 700 wheels?’ is closed to new replies.